By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan : FF XV is the worst FF debut ever on PlayStation Consoles

Yeesh.

Around the Network

Japan has no taste and hasn't been a trendsetter since the PS2. If they rather play their gacha games then that's their loss. Game is amazing, nice blend of Western and Japanese design. Hope the new emerging Asian markets can offset the disinterest in Japan.

Tabata should make a small XV-2 with new characters (Stella etc?) while Ito works on XVI.

Also XIII hurt the brand, is Toriyama still employed at SE?

I think other than the catering for western audience thing, Pokemon releasing like a week ago might have been a factor too.

Hmm, pie.

Turkish said:

Japan has no taste and hasn't been a trendsetter since the PS2. If they rather play their gacha games then that's their loss. Game is amazing, nice blend of Western and Japanese design. Hope the new emerging Asian markets can offset the disinterest in Japan.

Tabata should make a small XV-2 with new characters (Stella etc?) while Ito works on XVI.

Also XIII hurt the brand, is Toriyama still employed at SE?

I think you're looking at it wrong. FF is a fanbase and in recent years they've been treated to some poor experiences. Even in the west the respect for the franchise has shot down, as has its critical reception. 

Although I love FFXII, since then the franchise has gone from its usual creative risks with the world and slight changes to the battle system, to becoming something that should essentially be a different franchise. I think they were on the right track with "versus"

Have one game that has boundaries in terms of what it can do (versus) and another which treats the series core foundations with a bit more respect (like Zelda)

Isnt it the second fastest selling FF worldwide tho? Cause at the end of the day, thats what matters, not Japan alone.

Around the Network

GOTY Edition with all-female characters in skimpy outfits confirmed. This games needs to be saved!

Darashiva said:
Could very well be just people waiting to see whether the game is worth getting. Many were disappointed by XIII and might not be willing to get the game at launch because of that. It's going to be interesting to see how word of mouth and reviews affect the sales. 2nd week should be a very good indicator.

Yeah this is what im afraid of...FFX13 did the damage already. Something tells me 2nd week won't be a good indicator either...

FFXV sales climb back may be a marathon. Unless some EU blowout and some crazy high US sales second week.

squibbfire said:
No shit FF13 burned millions of fans.

You think they are just gonna jump on board with the next game? LOL
http://www.usgamer.net/articles/final-fantasy-xiii-a-franchise-firmly-leaves-fans-behind

I'm one of those who's still weary from my experience with XIII. My most disliked FF game ever. Even worse than X-2.

It's kind of funny, considering the 'boy band' vibe being aimed straight at Japanese pop culture. There are also more than enough Monster Hunter type games.

Stop trying to make Final Fantasy mimic everything else, Square.

Wouldn't be surprised if the next game is about a group of female Idols who use guns loaded with colorful ink.

Ka-pi96 said:
Jpcc86 said:
Isnt it the second fastest selling FF worldwide tho? Cause at the end of the day, thats what matters, not Japan alone.

First, actually. Also the first to ever release simultaneously worldwide though, so it would have been pretty bad if it wasn`t. Will have to wait a while and see how it goes to see how it really compares to others in the series. Although when we get NPD sales (and the inevitable comparison with previous FF NPD sales) that will make things a lot clearer.

Ah! That makes more sense! 

Pocky Lover Boy!