By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Media create sales week 48! Final Fantasy XV opens with just 690k, PS4 hardware sales increase a lot!

Alkibiádēs said:

Yokai Watch was good (and specifically catered towards Japanese people), there's the difference with Digimon. After 3 good monster collecting games, why would they want to buy a fourth crappy one this year? Look for footage on youtube and you'll see for yourself. How well did Titanfall 2 sell after releasing between CoD and Battlefield?

So... you're saying Titanfall looks crappy?  I don't get it.

I agree the game looks crap.  Don't get me wrong.  But crap should still sell better than 7k FW, especially with the Digimon name attached.  That's like... Gaist Crusher levels of bad, an IP with no brand recognition.  That's Hero Bank 2 levels of bad.  Less than Gyrozetter.  

All IP's which utterly failed on 3DS yet this one seems to be doing worse, despite the last Digimon game on the console selling pretty damn well.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
fleischr said:
All jokes aside, I think it's obvious to everyone: the PS4 in Japan alone can't shoulder the existence of Japanese AAA games and JRPGs.

They either have to appeal to more a western audience and/or leverage other platforms to find success. Final Fantasy has the privelidge of doing both reasonably well. But things like Dragon Quest and Monster Hunter are yoked to the Japanese market acceptance.

Ultimately, I do think we'll see FFXV on the Switch in some fashion. The 'Can it run FFXV' benchmark is an easy, obvious, and valuable benchmark for Nintendo and Square to have set early on for Switch. Because a new mainline FF on a Nintendo handheld holds just much appeal in Japan as a new Zelda or Xenoblade on a Nintendo handheld -- if not more...

Yeah like ... maybe support Nintendo? Like the only company in Japan that's been able to really sell hardware en masse there for the last decade? Maybe that'll eventually start to sink in to the thick heads of Japanese game studios. 

It shouldn't just be some token late port of FFXV on Switch either. Final Fantasy VII Remake, Kingdom Hearts III, Final Fantasy XVI should all have Switch versions readied immediately if they are not already. 

Square-Enix needs to understand they need to help Nintendo and they need help *now*, the Japanese game market is a house on fire, these companies need to come together and help Nintendo fight for its survival. 

Given the many spin-offs they've done exclusively for Nintendo handhelds for those franchises - Square and Nintendo know the audience there. Of course, at some time you need to give more than fanservice. Give the fans what you know they want.

It wouldn't surprise me if Square begged Nintendo (or Nintendo begged Square) to ensure the Switch could run FFXV, KH3, and FFVII:R as the development cycles of these games and the Switch overlap.

At the end of the day, true FF fans know that the mainline series return to Nintendo consoles is way overdue.

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

That's 256 happy Xbox One owners.

Soundwave said:

Yeah like ... maybe support Nintendo? Like the only company in Japan that's been able to really sell hardware en masse there for the last decade? Maybe that'll eventually start to sink in to the thick heads of Japanese game studios. 

It shouldn't just be some token late port of FFXV on Switch either. Final Fantasy VII Remake, Kingdom Hearts III, Final Fantasy XVI should all have Switch versions readied immediately if they are not already. They should have been in development like yesterday, but if they're not they need to be today. 

Square-Enix needs to understand they need to help Nintendo and they need help *now*, the Japanese game market is a house on fire, these companies need to come together and help Nintendo fight for its survival. Nintendo needs backing like they had in the Famicom/Super Famicom days if there ever is to be a healthy Japanese traditional game market again. 

At this point, I honestly feel that it would just be delaying the inevitable.

Switch aside, you're left with a choice of either doubling down on the western market or going mobile.

Maybe Switch is going to be this runaway success that revitalizes the market and saves every third party, like I seem to keep reading.  Seeing the last 5 years of the market in Japan, I'm very bullish on that idea.  Particularly with the grasp mobile has on the market.  I honestly feel that the dedicated market at this point is just older gamers who have always been there while newer gamers start with mobile and never 'graduate'.

With Sony and Nintendo both moving into the mobile space, I think it's only a matter of time.

That's not to say I don't think Switch will do well, because I do, just that it'll be grabbing the scraps from the remnants of the Japanese dedicated market and while that'll be enough to sustain itself, it certainly won't be anywhere close to any sort of glory days.

fleischr said:
Soundwave said:

It shouldn't just be some token late port of FFXV on Switch either. Final Fantasy VII Remake, Kingdom Hearts III, Final Fantasy XVI should all have Switch versions readied immediately if they are not already. 

Square-Enix needs to understand they need to help Nintendo and they need help *now*, the Japanese game market is a house on fire, these companies need to come together and help Nintendo fight for its survival. 

Given the many spin-offs they've done exclusively for Nintendo handhelds for those franchises - Square and Nintendo know the audience there. Of course, at some time you need to give more than fanservice. Give the fans what you know they want.

It wouldn't surprise me if Square begged Nintendo (or Nintendo begged Square) to ensure the Switch could run FFXV, KH3, and FFVII:R as the development cycles of these games and the Switch overlap.

At the end of the day, true FF fans know that the mainline series return to Nintendo consoles is way overdue.

It's time for Final Fantasy to come home. Japan is calling. 

I'd love a Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest lines of Amiibo by the way. Aside from Pokemon I think Nintendo has pretty much tapped out their character catalog anyway. Square-Enix (primarily the Square part) needs to start working with Nintendo instead of working against them. 

If I'm a Square-Enix exec, Nintendo would've been the first phone call I made after seeing those Japanese FFXV sales. It's time to bury the freaking hatchet. It hasn't been good for anyone. 

My hope is S-E already realized this and has been working on a lot of Switch support already. I find it a little curious that the Cloud Amiibo has been held back so it can launch after Switch comes out. I find Cloud in Smash a little odd full stop anyway. Even Snake was a prelude to MGS3 on 3DS. 

FFVII: Remake should be on Switch. No ifs, ands, or buts. From what I can tell Switch is at least an earnest attempt at modern hardware by Nintendo, of course it has limitations due to the portable aspect, but that aspect is the very aspect that allows it to sell in Japan, so Japanese developers should be understanding of that. 

Around the Network

This port begging is incredible.

"t's time for Final Fantasy to come home" XD

Boutros said:

"t's time for Final Fantasy to come home" XD

It doesn't even matter, the brand itself got damaged for the casual base. Unless Switch picks up with the casual base, it wouldn't make a dent to these lower sales. 

(Note for people who are going to state mobile, I am talking about mainline, not spinoff cash cows.)

Kresnik said:
Alkibiádēs said:

Yokai Watch was good (and specifically catered towards Japanese people), there's the difference with Digimon. After 3 good monster collecting games, why would they want to buy a fourth crappy one this year? Look for footage on youtube and you'll see for yourself. How well did Titanfall 2 sell after releasing between CoD and Battlefield?

So... you're saying Titanfall looks crappy?  I don't get it.

I agree the game looks crap.  Don't get me wrong.  But crap should still sell better than 7k FW, especially with the Digimon name attached.  That's like... Gaist Crusher levels of bad, an IP with no brand recognition.  That's Hero Bank 2 levels of bad.  Less than Gyrozetter.  

All IP's which utterly failed on 3DS yet this one seems to be doing worse, despite the last Digimon game on the console selling pretty damn well.

No, I'm saying Titanfall 2 didn't sell as well as it could/should because of the competition. This Digimon game is both crappy and faces strong competition. Can you point me to another year in Japan where 3 big franchises released a monster collecting game?

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Soundwave said:
fleischr said:
All jokes aside, I think it's obvious to everyone: the PS4 in Japan alone can't shoulder the existence of Japanese AAA games and JRPGs.

They either have to appeal to more a western audience and/or leverage other platforms to find success. Final Fantasy has the privelidge of doing both reasonably well. But things like Dragon Quest and Monster Hunter are yoked to the Japanese market acceptance.

Ultimately, I do think we'll see FFXV on the Switch in some fashion. The 'Can it run FFXV' benchmark is an easy, obvious, and valuable benchmark for Nintendo and Square to have set early on for Switch. Because a new mainline FF on a Nintendo handheld holds just much appeal in Japan as a new Zelda or Xenoblade on a Nintendo handheld -- if not more...

It shouldn't just be some token late port of FFXV on Switch either. Final Fantasy VII Remake, Kingdom Hearts III, Final Fantasy XVI should all have Switch versions readied immediately if they are not already. They should have been in development like yesterday, but if they're not they need to be today. 

Square-Enix needs to understand they need to help Nintendo and they need help *now*, the Japanese game market is a house on fire, these companies need to come together and help Nintendo fight for the Japan market's survival. Nintendo needs backing like they had in the Famicom/Super Famicom days if there ever is to be a healthy Japanese traditional game market again. 

Ps4 is selling better than ps3 last gen.  Many games have shown growth on ps4. The reason ffxv decline is because SE fucked up with 13 and made a western focused 15. 

Digimon just released on 3DS and flopped.  Some series just sell better on Playstation.  Sure why not give ps4 yokai watch, monster hunter and all the other games it misses out on.  It will sell a lot better than its already decent performance then.  

Boutros said:

Going to quote that again to showcase the opposite side is no different. Not necessarily always port begging, but if you were to have something else bomb on the otherside it happens, I cannot wait till Dragon Quest gets dragged into this.