By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Spencer: Scorpio Isn’t Trying To Compete with High-End Rigs, It’ll Have Console Price Point

GarlandSteve74 said:
I'm glad they aren't just taking the existing Xbox One, throwing in a more powerful GPU and calling it good.

That would be stupid.

If you're going to make a more powerful console, it should be balanced across the board and I'm glad to hear that's what they're planning on doing.

Agreed. 

Halo MCC will sell 5+ million copies(including digital)

halo 5 will sell 10 million copies(including digital)

x1 will pass ps4 in USA, and UK.

Around the Network
Vasto said:

"When you talk to me about Scorpio, the term I use about the architecture isn’t the six teraflops which is obviously what we’ve announced, it’s balance. Really what it is, is you want a platform that is balanced between memory bandwidth, GPU power, you know, your ability to move memory and [an] amount of memory around in many ways is more inhibiting to the performance of your game than absolute teraflops on any one of the individual pieces, and when we designed Scorpio we really thought about this balanced rig that could come together at a price-point. Like, I want Scorpio to be at a console price-point, I’m not trying to go and compete with a high-end rig. And because we’re building one spec, we’re able to look at the balance between all the components and make sure that it’s something we really hit that matters to consumers and gamers."

http://wccftech.com/scorpio-isnt-trying-compete-high-end/

Good to hear.

Phil knows that the console can not be too expensive. 

isn't that what a console is? 

Its always been obvious that the Scorpio would be close in price to the Pro. Everyone forgets that even though its something like 40% more powerful, the PS4 was about 40% more powerful than the Xbox One but they were very similar in price.

Another thing is that the Scorpio won't be nearly as much of a leap over the Pro or even the PS4/Xbox One, as people have been imagining. Most people will hardly notice unless they sit inches from their screen, are told what to look for and pause the game to scrutinize the screen.

Honestly I just don't believe anything he says until the system comes out. MS is just way to back and forth this gen and extremely misleading with a lot of the things they say. Not to mention MS could decide to change things at anytime without giving a damn what Spencer has said or thinks.

princevenom said:
i think scorpio will be 199$
and will sell like hot cakes next holiday imo of course

Sure... and maybe Microsoft will decide to sell the Xbox One Slim for 49$ as well.... I mean they are a very rich company,... why not burn a few billions giveing away stuff?

Around the Network
ArchangelMadzz said:
PS4 will be cheaper holiday 2017 than it is now, PS4 Pro will be cheaper holiday 2017 than it is now. PS4 is selling ridiculously, Scorpio has to launch pretty cheap to make any meaningful dent sales wise to PS4.

Its a high end product, its not aiming to make any meaningful dent in PS4 sales.

It ll be 449-499$ (imo), and the hardcore Xbox gamer will be willing to pay it.

By then the PS4pro will be at 349$, and its up to microsoft to make consumers spend 100$-150$ more than the PS4pro costs getting a scorpio instead.

JRPGfan said:
ArchangelMadzz said:
PS4 will be cheaper holiday 2017 than it is now, PS4 Pro will be cheaper holiday 2017 than it is now. PS4 is selling ridiculously, Scorpio has to launch pretty cheap to make any meaningful dent sales wise to PS4.

Its a high end product, its not aiming to make any meaningful dent in PS4 sales.

By then the PS4pro will be at 349$, and its up to microsoft to make consumers spend 100$-150$ more than the PS4pro costs getting a scorpio instead.

That's a tall ask because it's an experience you can get somewhere else.

The thing about the Pro is that you can play PS games in a 4K resolution, and you can't do that anywhere else. 
You don't need a Scorpio to play Xbox games at 4k. 

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

ArchangelMadzz said:
JRPGfan said:

The thing about the Pro is that you can play PS games in a 4K resolution, and you can't do that anywhere else. 

Microsoft marketing will be;

Ours does UHD blu-rays, "real" 4k, the only place to play Halo 6.

Might be enough,.... though I dont expect sales to be insane, just like the PS4pro's sales arnt bigger than the PS4slim's.

JRPGfan said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

Microsoft marketing will be;

Ours does UHD blu-rays, "real" 4k, the only place to play Halo 6.

Might be enough,.... though I dont expect sales to be insane, just like the PS4pro's sales arnt bigger than the PS4slim's.

All games coming out from now on will be 'play anywhere' so that'll include Halo 6.
Also consumers wont really know what 'real' 4K is, plus PS4Pro does some games in native 4k so sony advertise it as such.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

pray4mojo said:
Darc Requiem said:

They didn't recoup on software. They lost billions on the original Xbox. 

Because they failed. Sony didn't though. The PS2 was sold at a huge loss. I'd like to see that sort of idea return to console gaming.

The PS2 wasn't sold for near the loss of the Xbox.