By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Laura Kate Dale: Nintendo Switch Dock Increases Performance, Not Via Extra Hardware

GhaudePhaede010 said:
onionberry said:

they said "the main function of the dock is to connect the console to the tv"

If it were to give a boost to the resolution of the console, would that not be considered a, "main function" to you and Nintendo?

That would be an unheard of feature (comparing it to laptops which do not boost resolution when you plug it into a power source is not parallel) in video gaming or even electronics, after all.

Laptops don't dynamically scale your resolution but that's just because that's not how laptops work.  That's just a PC thing.  But if you so desired to, you could indeed program a laptop to do so.  It's just another means of throttling.  

And the performance difference when plugged in with a laptop is very substantial.  Doesn't make that boost the primary function of the power brick.  

Also, this isn't really up for debate frankly.  It's a ludicrous, ridiculous suggestion that the clock speed wouldn't go up when plugged in because that either means they let the thing keep throttling for NO REASON or that they keep it fully clocked at all times which would make battery life the worst in the history of battery powered devices and cause heat issues.  There will be a performance boost if the thing isn't manufactured by dodo birds.  It's purely a case of how much of one.  And the best way to throttle is to reduce resolutions, otherwise framerate will go to crap.  

Around the Network
GhaudePhaede010 said:
onionberry said:

If it were to give a boost to the resolution of the console, would that not be considered a, "main function" to you and Nintendo?

That would be an unheard of feature (comparing it to laptops which do not boost resolution when you plug it into a power source is not parallel) in video gaming or even electronics, after all.

I think they wanna wait until jan 12 for the details, they even removed the usb c ad . But I really don't know why you're so doubtful, it's not rocket science. Handheld mode downcloked cause the device needs to be efficient, docked mode at full performance cause you have a power source. Not about boosting resolution because the power can be used for anything, just like the xbox or ps4, developers can decide if they want better visuals or better framerate or better resolution.

onionberry said:
GhaudePhaede010 said:

I think they wanna wait until jan 12 for the details, they even removed the usb c ad . But I really don't know why you're so doubtful, it's not rocket science. Handheld mode downcloked cause the device needs to be efficient, docked mode at full performance cause you have a power source. Not about boosting resolution because the power can be used for anything, just like the xbox or ps4, developers can decide if they want better visuals or better framerate or better resolution.

I am doubtful because there are two sources (one being Nintendo) that basically confirm the opposite of this while one source is saying something that does not seem to fall into line or make sense.

I want it but I am not irrational. I like to think things through and comment with some form of integrity instead of blind, hopeful, fandom.

If the power can be used to boost the graphics, that would most definitely be a game changer and main function of the docking station. Again, it could be true, but if you cannot understand why I am hesitant to believe this, you are just ignoring anything out there that contradicts your beliefs for no reason. I am not saying you are incorrect, I am not saying Laura is incorrect, and I am not saying Foxxcon employee is correct (but I bet if what he said and what Laura said lined up, you would use him as a source to back up your belief), I am saying my opinion is logical and reasoned and I hope you respect that. It should not be a wonder, it should make sense that I am hopeful, but given ALL the rumored information, I am doubtful.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

Nuvendil said:
GhaudePhaede010 said:

Laptops don't dynamically scale your resolution but that's just because that's not how laptops work.  That's just a PC thing.  But if you so desired to, you could indeed program a laptop to do so.  It's just another means of throttling.  

And the performance difference when plugged in with a laptop is very substantial.  Doesn't make that boost the primary function of the power brick.  

Also, this isn't really up for debate frankly.  It's a ludicrous, ridiculous suggestion that the clock speed wouldn't go up when plugged in because that either means they let the thing keep throttling for NO REASON or that they keep it fully clocked at all times which would make battery life the worst in the history of battery powered devices and cause heat issues.  There will be a performance boost if the thing isn't manufactured by dodo birds.  It's purely a case of how much of one.  And the best way to throttle is to reduce resolutions, otherwise framerate will go to crap.  

I never said it was impossible, I said comparison between the two is not parallel and that it would be a first. I stand by that because it is the truth.

Substantial? My laptop does not change, "substantially" when plugged into a power source. It does not go much faster (if at all) and ever single feature I have while plugged in, I have while not plugged in. The difference is minimal, the main point is to recharge the battery. Now, if I could only see 1080p video quality while the laptop was plugged in, that would change things a lot and would mean I would want my laptop plugged in even when fully charged (making it a main feature of the plug). By that logic, does my 3DS recieve a performance boost when plugged in? All I see is a brighter screen. And that is a legitimate question.

I am not saying it will not recieve some sort of benefit, I am saying what is quoted by Laura is doubtful in my eyes.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

Of course, looking over the Foxxcon employee's report, he does say he thinks (THINKS) the hand held is 1080p. If that is the case, then the console running at 1080p on televisions is not really what people think. My stance is for if Switch runs at 720p on hand held and then at 1080p on televisions while docked. If it is just a 1080p hand held (which I admit is a possibility that I had ignored/ruled out), then I have no argument as I will probably not notice the benefits anyway due to them being minimal.

Around the Network
GhaudePhaede010 said:
onionberry said:

I am doubtful because there are two sources (one being Nintendo) that basically confirm the opposite of this while one source is saying something that does not seem to fall into line or make sense.

I want it but I am not irrational. I like to think things through and comment with some form of integrity instead of blind, hopeful, fandom.

If the power can be used to boost the graphics, that would most definitely be a game changer and main function of the docking station. Again, it could be true, but if you cannot understand why I am hesitant to believe this, you are just ignoring anything out there that contradicts your beliefs for no reason. I am not saying you are incorrect, I am not saying Laura is incorrect, and I am not saying Foxxcon employee is correct (but I bet if what he said and what Laura said lined up, you would use him as a source to back up your belief), I am saying my opinion is logical and reasoned and I hope you respect that. It should not be a wonder, it should make sense that I am hopeful, but given ALL the rumored information, I am doubtful.

That's the thing, the dock is not boosting anything, handheld mode is downclocked. When you use the dock the device will use its normal speed, which is faster than the handheld mode for obvious reasons, like a direct power source without the need of a battery.

onionberry said:
GhaudePhaede010 said:

That's the thing, the dock is not boosting anything, handheld mode is downclocked. When you use the dock the device will use its normal speed, which is faster than the handheld mode for obvious reasons, like a direct power source without the need of a battery.

Different phrasing; same meaning.

GhaudePhaede010 said:
onionberry said:

Different phrasing; same meaning.

Not really, when you say boosting that means overclocking, that means more power than it should have. Here we are talking about an underclocked handheld system that can run at its standard speed when is connected to a power source. Very different and very possible, now more than ever thanks to the usb method.

Sounds good. Hopefully this also means it's at least mostly passively cooled when used in handheld mode. 1080p to 720p is a pretty massive drop, so it should maybe be able to underclock to the point where fans are unnecessary...?

mutantsushi said:

Honestly, there is little functional difference between having a 2nd fan in dock, and running the same fan at higher speed.
In fact, the portable unit could have a built in fan, but not actually use it in mobile mode.  Or have 2 fans, but only use 1.
( to save power, and for noise reasons when it is being held a foot from your face, vs. in a dock 6 feet away from you)

Just suggesting a way the two leaks/rumors are more compatable than they seem at first.

IMO this could be a case, one fan inside Switch and one inside dock and both work only in dock mode, or just one fan in dock mode.

GhaudePhaede010 said:
onionberry said:

Nintendo did said they have to talk about more functions/possibilities of Switch they didn't show in 1st trailer. Point of 1st Switch trailer was just a concept, they didn't show any technical staffs or details.

GhaudePhaede010 said:
onionberry said:

That Reddit source isn't reliable at all because said 1080p Switch screen. And what other source (Nintendo) exactly said? Not to mention that so far Laura Kate Dale NX/Switch rumours are almost 100% accurate.

This is not at all blind hopefully, this is very realistic and expectable scenario, and something like this was hinted all the time.