By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Laura Kate Dale: Nintendo Switch Dock Increases Performance, Not Via Extra Hardware

Probably a lot of third party support will be enhanced versions of android and ios games and those will run no problem at 1080p. Nintendo's own games normally have low technical requirements using cartoon style graphics etc which again will be 1080p no problem docked. Big triple A titles that get converted to Switch may be under pressure to have a much lower native resolution but I'm sure the Switch will have good upscaling to take it to 720p or 1080p as already stated 540p may well be native resolution for such games that are a stretch for the Switch hardware to run.

Its not a 1tflop console though. It's probably in the 500 gflops area and I suspect it will be slightly slower than that more like 400 gflops docked and perhaps 200-250 gflops when portable. I don't think people should be expecting anything more than 600 gflops at the absolute top end of expectations.

400 gflops is still easily 3x wii u which is based on an older radeon architecture of 176 gflops. Nvidia punches slightly above its weight so to speak. More importantly cpu performance is a huge improvement over wii u so perhaps we won't have to have crap like walking through cars and horrible pop-in almost right next to you with the conversion of xenoblade x to switch. It will sort out those issues as well as render at 1080p 60fps.

Around the Network

duplicate

so NS dock is basically ouya tier of upgrade

For the talk of developing "two versions" of games for portable and docked mode,
Simple solution is variable resolution scaling, which may even mean that less demanding scenes
could even end up super sampled from higher than 720p resolution even in low power portable mode.

Miyamotoo said:
mutantsushi said:

Honestly, there is little functional difference between having a 2nd fan in dock, and running the same fan at higher speed.
In fact, the portable unit could have a built in fan, but not actually use it in mobile mode.  Or have 2 fans, but only use 1.
( to save power, and for noise reasons when it is being held a foot from your face, vs. in a dock 6 feet away from you)

Just suggesting a way the two leaks/rumors are more compatable than they seem at first.

IMO this could be a case, one fan inside Switch and one inside dock and both work only in dock mode, or just one fan in dock mode.

GhaudePhaede010 said:

If it were to give a boost to the resolution of the console, would that not be considered a, "main function" to you and Nintendo?

That would be an unheard of feature (comparing it to laptops which do not boost resolution when you plug it into a power source is not parallel) in video gaming or even electronics, after all.

Nintendo did said they have to talk about more functions/possibilities of Switch they didn't show in 1st trailer. Point of 1st Switch trailer was just a concept, they didn't show any technical staffs or details.

GhaudePhaede010 said:

I am doubtful because there are two sources (one being Nintendo) that basically confirm the opposite of this while one source is saying something that does not seem to fall into line or make sense.

I want it but I am not irrational. I like to think things through and comment with some form of integrity instead of blind, hopeful, fandom.

If the power can be used to boost the graphics, that would most definitely be a game changer and main function of the docking station. Again, it could be true, but if you cannot understand why I am hesitant to believe this, you are just ignoring anything out there that contradicts your beliefs for no reason. I am not saying you are incorrect, I am not saying Laura is incorrect, and I am not saying Foxxcon employee is correct (but I bet if what he said and what Laura said lined up, you would use him as a source to back up your belief), I am saying my opinion is logical and reasoned and I hope you respect that. It should not be a wonder, it should make sense that I am hopeful, but given ALL the rumored information, I am doubtful.

That Reddit source isn't reliable at all because said 1080p Switch screen. And what other source (Nintendo) exactly said? Not to mention that so far Laura Kate Dale NX/Switch rumours are almost 100% accurate.

This is not at all blind hopefully, this is very realistic and expectable scenario, and something like this was hinted all the time.

I already addressed what you are talking about with the Reddit post. He said, "it looks like" which means he is speculating. Now, the hand held could be 1080p and then the home docked version would be the same... or, the Reddit user's guess was wrong but it does not affect credibility as he never confirmed the screen was 1080p in the first place. As was mentioned, Nintendo said the main function of the dock is to give video out; the Reddit poster seems to have confirmed that sentiment. If the dock provided a graphical boost, that would most definitely be a main feature, no?

I am not accusing anyone of blind hope and I am not saying it is impossible. I said I doubt it and gave valid reasons for my doubt. As I said, I am not saying anyone is incorrect because these are rumors. But if I had to hedge my bet using all the information gathered, I am betting against Laura right now because Nintendo has not even alluded to this being a possibility and the Foxconn worker being very clear and descriptive (as well as being IP tracked back to Foxconn). Either way, I'm buying switch day 1.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

Around the Network
GhaudePhaede010 said:
Miyamotoo said:

IMO this could be a case, one fan inside Switch and one inside dock and both work only in dock mode, or just one fan in dock mode.

Nintendo did said they have to talk about more functions/possibilities of Switch they didn't show in 1st trailer. Point of 1st Switch trailer was just a concept, they didn't show any technical staffs or details.

That Reddit source isn't reliable at all because said 1080p Switch screen. And what other source (Nintendo) exactly said? Not to mention that so far Laura Kate Dale NX/Switch rumours are almost 100% accurate.

This is not at all blind hopefully, this is very realistic and expectable scenario, and something like this was hinted all the time.

I already addressed what you are talking about with the Reddit post. He said, "it looks like" which means he is speculating. Now, the hand held could be 1080p and then the home docked version would be the same... or, the Reddit user's guess was wrong but it does not affect credibility as he never confirmed the screen was 1080p in the first place. As was mentioned, Nintendo said the main function of the dock is to give video out; the Reddit poster seems to have confirmed that sentiment. If the dock provided a graphical boost, that would most definitely be a main feature, no?

I am not accusing anyone of blind hope and I am not saying it is impossible. I said I doubt it and gave valid reasons for my doubt. As I said, I am not saying anyone is incorrect because these are rumors. But if I had to hedge my bet using all the information gathered, I am betting against Laura right now because Nintendo has not even alluded to this being a possibility and the Foxconn worker being very clear and descriptive (as well as being IP tracked back to Foxconn). Either way, I'm buying switch day 1.

Thats point, his claims don't look true at all (not just screen part), while on other hand we have infos from several different reliable sources when it comes to NX/Switch that claim that display is 720p. Offcourse that main feature of dock is gave video out to TV, but that doenst mean thats only feature, like I wrote: "Nintendo did said they have to talk about more functions/possibilities of Switch they didn't show in 1st trailer. Point of 1st Switch trailer was just a concept, they didn't show any technical staffs or details". This Reddit guy can't really know based on dock if dock gave bigger performance, because Switch just runs at higher clock at dock, and you can't tell that buy looking at dock.

You can really accuse someone from that even if you want because thats claims are from trustable sources and that very expected and realistic. I addressed all your reasons for doubting. Two facts, this Reddit guys claims are not true because they different from claims from trustable sources that were 100% accurate about NX/Switch buy now like Eurogamer, Laura and Emily, and second fact is that Laura claims about NX/Switch are 100% till now, so its very unlikly that she is wrong now.