By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Laura Kate Dale: Nintendo Switch Dock Increases Performance, Not Via Extra Hardware

Captain_Yuri said:
Miyamotoo said:

I am pretty sure that almost all Nintendo games will run at 1080p, I dont think that will be case for XB1/PS4 ports.

Well yea, I can see that hence what I said in my first post... If it's not universal and only limited to Nintendo games, then I can see it but if the rumor means universally, then I don't see it. But no where did you or the rumor specify it will be limited to Nintendo games so...

I didn't said it will be limited only to Nintendo games, but I almost sure that will be case for almost all Nintendo games, that would be case even for some 3rd party games (Just Dance, Lego...), but not for majority of XB1/PS4 games.

JEMC said:
Barkley said:

It's not so much a power issue as a display issue. No matter how demanding the game the Handheld can only ever display at 720p (the display resolution of the screen). So it doesn't matter if the dock literally does nothing in terms of power, it still makes running the games at 1080p possible.

Like you I don't think the power difference when docked will be significant enough to make a game that barely runs at 720p on handheld suddenly run at 1080p fine when docked. The difference in resolution will mostly be simply because the Switch's own screen is only 720p.

The rumored hardware specs make that very unlikely... at least for non Nintendo games.

Miyamotoo said:

Actually most sense makes that games running at 1080p but they are downscaled to 720p just in tablet mode.

That doesn't make sense at all.

Running at 1080p is more demanding than doing it at 720p, and uses more power. For a portable device it makes a lot more sense to run at the native resolution of the display to improve battery life.

Barkley already corrected me, Switch will render games at 720p even has more power than just for 720p games. Basically, fact that Switch will run games at 720p in tablet mode doesn't mean it has power just for 720p games, and that with boost of higher clocks can run same games at 1080p in docked mode (for record I talking about Nintendo games).

Around the Network
Captain_Yuri said:
Miyamotoo said:

I am pretty sure that almost all Nintendo games will run at 1080p, I dont think that will be case for XB1/PS4 ports.

Well yea, I can see that hence what I said in my first post... If it's not universal and only limited to Nintendo games, then I can see it but if the rumor means universally, then I don't see it. But no where did you or the rumor specify it will be limited to Nintendo games so...

it's not universal like it's not universal on the ps4 and the xbox one, you can expect better performance when the switch is docked, that doesn't mean that the switch will run every game at 1080p.

I just hope that if the game can't run at 1080p and 30 fps then developers are going to lower the resolution, we don't need another xbox and ps4 sitiuation where some games are running at a higher resolution than they should and thanks to that we have framerate dips on a lot of games.

God damn, and just recently I was thinking about how there haven't been any new Switch rumors/leaks in a while and here they come again. Though this isn't specifically anything new, it's more clarification of a past rumor that had no definitive answer. 

It's good if the dock increases performance though, since I would figure that's what most people assumed/hoped anyway. 

Miyamotoo said:
Captain_Yuri said:

I didn't said it will be limited only to Nintendo games, but I almost sure that will be case for almost all Nintendo games, that would be case even for some 3rd party games (Just Dance, Lego...), but not for majority of XB1/PS4 games.

So... Still not universally... Why did you quote me again?

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Captain_Yuri said:
Miyamotoo said:

I didn't said its univeraly...maybe because I misunderstood you. :P

Around the Network
onionberry said:
Captain_Yuri said:

it's not universal like it's not universal on the ps4 and the xbox one, you can expect better performance when the switch is docked, that doesn't mean that the switch will run every game at 1080p.

I just hope that if the game can't run at 1080p and 30 fps then developers are going to lower the resolution, we don't need another xbox and ps4 sitiuation where some games are running at a higher resolution than they should and thanks to that we have framerate dips on a lot of games.

Yea but everything has an exception. What universal means (at least from my pov) that it is the rule and not the exception so if the dock makes almost all games to run at 1080p, that is what I would consider to be universal but that is where I am skeptical at.

But anyway, lets just all move on from this misunderstanding since we got it cleared up.

And yea, that is something I hope as well. God January cant come soon enough! I want the juicy real specs and performance T_T

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

I doubt the validity of these rumors since a guy from Foxxcon made pretty clear the console gains no additional power from the docking station.

I hope this is true, but I doubt the validity.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

Miyamotoo said:
Captain_Yuri said:

I didn't said its univeraly...maybe because I misunderstood you. :P

Ahh I see! No worries. It happens, specially on the internet!

GhaudePhaede010 said:
I doubt the validity of these rumors since a guy from Foxxcon made pretty clear the console gains no additional power from the docking station.

Gaining power and improving performance aren't the same thing, here the rumour is simply saying the platform is like a laptop in that it runs at full clock speed when pluged in.

GhaudePhaede010 said:

the guy from foxxcon said that the dock doesn't have any extra component to make the switch run better, like extra gpu. This report is about the switch being downclocked when you're using the portable mode and then running at full speed via usb c when the tablet is docked. The dock just have another fan, not extra processing hardware.