By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Last Guardian Review Thread - Meta: 84

Alkibiádēs said:

It's because of a mentality like yours that game designers keep getting away with games that are poorly optimized. It's not negligble. Ueda needs to pay more attention to controls, camera and framerate and his games would be much better for it. Why settle for less? Dark Souls can be incredibly frustrating to deal with because of the framerate, so that's not a good example. Critics should become harsher, that's my whole point. I don't think Dark Souls deserves to be critically acclaimed at all.

Ocarina of Time was never this bad by the way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQINg_uAGzE

Neither is TLG, that never happens. Either his ps4 is dying, or he created a fake video, or ran into a super rare bug that can be easily fixed by restarting a checkpoint. Cause it sure as hell never happened to me or anyone I've talked to.

As for paying attention to "controls, camera and framerate", no. The controls and camera are perfectly fine. The only thing peculiar about movement in this game is that there's a bigger threshold (or maybe the correct expression is "more distant"?) than usual for the difference between walking and running. Like, bringing Souls back again, in those games you have to force some precision on your analog stick in order to walk instead of run, and that's pretty much how it is in almost every game. In TLG, that threshold is so distant that you basically have to push the stick all the way in order to run instead of walk. Meaning it's the same but in the opposite "direction". There's nothing wrong or hard about this. Within minutes I got used to the "analog point" and the game controlled great all the way to the end. The only control part that confuses me a bit is climbing chains and directional jumps from them, I still don't quite get how it's supposed to work relative to the camera. As for the camera itself, no issues.

I wouldn't trade the boy's amazing animations for "less janky" movements any day, and I wouldn't trade a camera that allows me to fixate on any point of the scenery (something I feared you wouldn't be able to do after they didn't go with a fixed-but-moveable camera like ICO) while keeping great angles, for something that is "less janky"/more stable, ugly and ultimately less convenient for exploration and vista appreciation. Controls and camera are exactly the way they should be, there's nothing to improve or change. It'd only make the game worse. Framerate though is another matter, and that's why fps is the only thing i was talking about before. That's the only thing that could have been better and still doesn't matter cause it never hurt the gameplay.

A lot of the complaining lies more with the player than the game, people are just bad in general. For instance, I can't fathom Trico being unresponsive to the point of frustration. He's obeyed my commands all the time. I point the boy in the right direction and give the right command, then wait some seconds. He does what I want. Perfect. Most likely the complainers aren't even bothering to face the right direction, and they're repeating orders so quickly that it confuses Trico, etc. I've tried doing that and it's exactly what happened. Means they're playing it wrong. It's not rocket science. They must be terrible with animals IRL too. I have 7 pets so.. ^^

Around the Network

I've just started playing this today.
I have to say I'm not too impressed, it feels like Enslaved Odyssey to the West at the beginning section of the game. I hope things develop a bit going forward.

So, Trico got used to me now. I'm not sure if it was developed that way, but AI is more respondant.

Puzzles are varied enough to keep me entertained. Setting and atmosphere is gorgeous. I love Trico like it was my pet. Not so much obviously, it (HE) is awesome.

Famitsu: 38 / 40 points :)
A special game < 3

So i just wanted to check the game and booted it on my ps4. The "checking" session went to 3 hours!!!! The game is awesome!

Trico is PURE LOVE!!! < 3

Around the Network

The design of Trico looks a bit odd at first, yet it makes perfect sense to turn it into a more fantasy like animal. The animation is amazing, yet making it look too much like a real animal would highlight the little bits that are still off. Plus it avoids the uncanny valley.

They put a lot of personality in his behavior. The other day I caught him playing with one of the chains hanging down from the ceiling.

5/5

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gaming/what-to-play/last-guardian-review-extraordinary-tale-companionship/

CGI-Quality said:
Azzanation said:

There are alot of other gamers whose predictions are alot worse. I knew this game wasnt going to be a master piece or a system seller, but i also knew it wasnt going to be as bad as Knack. I still stand that a 77 was a fair effort considering it sits on a 83 without a troll review yet.

But to anwser your question so i can move on from this, i would say an 81 for its lowest and a 83 for its highest score.

Doesn't matter if you think it's a masterpiece or not. An 83 doesn't dictate that, either. You made a prediction that proved to be a low-ball. Also, we're not dicsusssing "a lot of gamers'" predictions. Torillian was getting on you about yours (and as he stated, it would take an insane amount of "troll reviews" to change the status quo).

At this point, it's best for you to move on. Yes.

Wait a minuite, so its fine to attack my prediction? I predicted 77 before the game came out. So your admitting my prediction was a low ball yet others that claimed lower or even much higher dont? Sounds like an attack to me.

Also you stating it was a low ball is a low ball in itself. 77 was a good guess, so it scored sllightly higher than my score... how is this a big deal? and why are we debating this? 

Torillian used my prediction prior release as an argument, Was there an issue with my prediction, have i upset gamers because i didnt give it a 90? My point was anything is possibly at early stages of reviews. I never came in this thread saying i am right. The fact someone used my prediction to gain ground in a debate is rather sad. I dont have to justify myself.

The way all this sounds right now, is anyone who didnt guess TLG would get a 83 is a low ball.

Tell me CGI, what did you guess TLG would get for a metacritic?

Azzanation said:
CGI-Quality said:

Doesn't matter if you think it's a masterpiece or not. An 83 doesn't dictate that, either. You made a prediction that proved to be a low-ball. Also, we're not dicsusssing "a lot of gamers'" predictions. Torillian was getting on you about yours (and as he stated, it would take an insane amount of "troll reviews" to change the staus quo).

At this point, it's best for you to move on. Yes.

Wait a minuite, so its fine to attack my prediction? I predicted 77 before the game came out.

Come on man, just drop it.

"Hmm i guessed a 77, and theres still more reviews on its way. Hasnt recieved its troll reviews yet. I am sure a 2 or a 4 is on its way. "

This was after the game was already at 83 on Meta, your post is basically saying that reviews that are yet to come out can bring it down to 77. You did the same thing with Uncharted 4, was at 61 reviews 93 meta and you predicted it would drop to 88 still.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=7885549

It's not about your original prediction, it's predicting the MetaScore will drop when it's already recieved a ton of reviews. I'm sure you'll deny that's what you meant now but it's not really debatable. You just make silly negative predictions about the MetaScore declining.

I'm just poking my head in. While I'm here, I'll ask a few rhetorical questions.

-did you play the game?
-if you didn't, why are you going out of your way to defend a game you haven't played?
-if you didn't, why are you going out of your way to bash a game you haven't played?

I'm a huge DC fan and I fought tooth and nail to defend the movie, Suicide Squad. When I saw it, i sadly realized....it fucking sucked.

Same with BvS. I was told how bad it was and when the credits rolled, I said "Holy shit. That was awesome."

You know what matters? Your opinion. Not that of the critic that hates it or that critic that loved it. Use their reviews (and not just the score) to decide whether or not you want to buy it. That's their purpose. 

It's okay to discuss the game. You may even use serving hand stories and videos to support your opinion but, until you play it, you just don't know how good or bad this game is.