By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Last Guardian Review Thread - Meta: 84

Volterra_90 said:
Roronaa_chan said:

Agreed, TLG should get perfect scores from everyone, not just 8.

Zelda OOT ran at 20fps and 17fps (PAL) btw.

Yep, but we're in 2016. I still think that it's a beutiful game, original and with a truly beautiful relationship between charactees. But it could never be more than a 9 because controls are frustrating as hell.

What is frustrating about the controls? I played it for close to 3 hours last night, never had a problem. It's actually pretty modernized compared to Ico and SotC. It's far easier to jump on a chain, while in Ico you had to stand on a pixel perfect spot. Climbing onto trico is very easy, since now you have a button to release instead of watching your grab strength. The camera is easy to control and does a great job for all the confined areas your in with a giant beast filling most of the passages. It dioes sometimes get into a tight spot, not for long, and the only alternative would be to switch to fixed camera angles.

The controls have a big deadzone and some weight to it. The boy doesn't instantly start or magically move ojects sideways while pushing/pulling, and is subject to physics while on Trico. You can't jump off if you're not standing balanced.

Anyway, I did not feel the slightest frustration while playing. It did already tear me up once and had me laugh out loud several times. So funny when he pulls his head back out a hole, 3,2,1, retract ears!

Around the Network

SvennoJ said:
Volterra_90 said:

Yep, but we're in 2016. I still think that it's a beutiful game, original and with a truly beautiful relationship between charactees. But it could never be more than a 9 because controls are frustrating as hell.

What is frustrating about the controls? I played it for close to 3 hours last night, never had a problem. It's actually pretty modernized compared to Ico and SotC. It's far easier to jump on a chain, while in Ico you had to stand on a pixel perfect spot. Climbing onto trico is very easy, since now you have a button to release instead of watching your grab strength. The camera is easy to control and does a great job for all the confined areas your in with a giant beast filling most of the passages. It dioes sometimes get into a tight spot, not for long, and the only alternative would be to switch to fixed camera angles.

The controls have a big deadzone and some weight to it. The boy doesn't instantly start or magically move ojects sideways while pushing/pulling, and is subject to physics while on Trico. You can't jump off if you're not standing balanced.

Anyway, I did not feel the slightest frustration while playing. It did already tear me up once and had me laugh out loud several times. So funny when he pulls his head back out a hole, 3,2,1, retract ears!

I didn't have any problems at the beginning, but once I unlock more complex orders like "Trico, jump" or something like that, sometimes Trico doesn't do what I realy intended to. Maybe it's on purpose. I don't have any problems wirh Trico being stubbrn, it makes sense that its reactions are slow. But if I want to jump a cliff, and it jumps on a column, that's what I call frustrating.

I feel like I'm only talking negatives XD. It's still the best 2016 game imo, despite of those flaws.

Roronaa_chan said:
Alkibiádēs said:
A game that has a terrible camera, flooty controls and an awful framerate in some areas should never get 8 perfect scores. 

So it runs comparatively to one of the first 3D open world adventure games ever made. No scrap that, at least Ocarina of Time got the controls and camera mostly right, setting the standard for all future 3D adventure games. Apparently Ueda missed the memo.

It's 2016, I don't know about you, but I expect more of modern games compared to games that were released in 1998. I would never give a perfect score to Ocarina of Time, if only for the boring final boss, generic story and the completely empty Hyrule Fields.

Anyway, I only played the original Ocarina of Time a little. My first real play-through was with the remake on the 3DS, which runs at a stable 30fps.

And thanks to emulation now in 1080p and 60fps even: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aEzijdkf-Y&t=311s

But like I said, this happens with many games across all different platforms, so I'm not sure why you felt the need to drag Zelda into the discussion.

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

BraLoD said:
Volterra_90 said:

I didn't have any problems at the beginning, but once I unlock more complex orders like "Trico, jump" or something like that, sometimes Trico doesn't do what I realy intended to. Maybe it's on purpose. I don't have any problems wirh Trico being stubbrn, it makes sense that its reactions are slow. But if I want to jump a cliff, and it jumps on a column, that's what I call frustrating.

It's on purpose, Trico is made to have kind of a free will (or free spirit, like some called it, dunno if Ueda).
Pretty much like a cat, sometimes it just won't give a fuck to what you want, lol.

Well, I can overlook that if I see a progression like an artistic choice then.

I know that I'm more attached now to Trico than any videogame character this year. I swear if something happens to him, I'll slaughter the developers XD.

Alkibiádēs said:
Roronaa_chan said:

So it runs comparatively to one of the first 3D open world adventure games ever made. No scrap that, at least Ocarina of Time got the controls and camera mostly right, setting the standard for all future 3D adventure games. Apparently Ueda missed the memo.

It's 2016, I don't know about you, but I expect more of modern games compared to games that were released in 1998. I would never give a perfect score to Ocarina of Time, if only for the boring final boss, generic story and the completely empty Hyrule Fields.

Anyway, I only played the original Ocarina of Time a little. My first real play-through was with the remake on the 3DS, which runs at a stable 30fps.

But like I said, this happens with many games across all different platforms, so I'm not sure why you felt the need to drag Zelda into the discussion.

Running at 30fps with rare drops to 20 is not running comparetively to "constant" 20fps (or less).

Why would you expect more when games were already played at 60fps in the 90s and some of them with controls that would cause envy to some of the biggest games today. Nothing changed, we won't be demanding 120fps in 10 years and 240fps in 20 years, that's not how it works.

You also don't need to go that far back, I already mentioned the Souls games. For being some of the most influential and critically acclaimed games today they performed poorly (Demon's souls dropped to sub 20 in the worse scenes, Dark Souls at least on 360 hovered around 20-25 most of the time even when nothing was going on) and the camera during boss fights is problematic as well.

But who cares about these things when what they do right they do better than every single other game. It's negligble.

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
Volterra_90 said:

Well, I can overlook that if I see a progression like an artistic choice then.

I know that I'm more attached now to Trico than any videogame character this year. I swear if something happens to him, I'll slaughter the developers XD.

I cried when that happened before the end on SotC, I can imagine it, if something happens to Trico... don't even want to think about it.

Nope. Let's be happy and laught with Trico atm. I can do with a happy ending now XD.

Roronaa_chan said:
Alkibiádēs said:

Running at 30fps with rare drops to 20 is not running comparetively to "constant" 20fps (or less).

Why would you expect more when games were already played at 60fps in the 90s and some of them with controls that would cause envy to some of the biggest games today. Nothing changed, we won't be demanding 120fps in 10 years and 240fps in 20 years, that's not how it works.

You also don't need to go that far back, I already mentioned the Souls games. For being some of the most influential and critically acclaimed games today they performed poorly (Demon's souls dropped to sub 20 in the worse scenes, Dark Souls at least on 360 hovered around 20-25 most of the time even when nothing was going on) and the camera during boss fights is problematic as well.

But who cares about these things when what they do right they do better than every single other game. It's negligble.

It's because of a mentality like yours that game designers keep getting away with games that are poorly optimized. It's not negligble. Ueda needs to pay more attention to controls, camera and framerate and his games would be much better for it. Why settle for less? Dark Souls can be incredibly frustrating to deal with because of the framerate, so that's not a good example. Critics should become harsher, that's my whole point. I don't think Dark Souls deserves to be critically acclaimed at all.

Ocarina of Time was never this bad by the way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQINg_uAGzE

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Volterra_90 said:

I feel like I'm only talking negatives XD. It's still the best 2016 game imo, despite of those flaws.

It's probably intentional, Trico already behaves a lot better than my dog anyway. And cats? Forget about giving those any commands :) It's no Enslaved or Majin and the forsaken kingdom where you select commands. You try to persuade Trico to do what you want. Free will can be annoying. And kids? They certainly do it on purpose!

Kyuu said:

The concept behind the controls in TLG is kind of amazing but isn't it half done? The Boy interacts with every little bump, wall, or any object too frequently. He will misunderstand the player's intentions and climbs an obstacle or pushes a wall where the player wants him to do something else. Or keeps tripping over tiny bumps and behaves more dramatically than he should be.

The boy's acceleration, decelerations, and general movement are a bit off compared to SotC which I thought was really well done for a PS2 game because it gave a sense of weight without sacrificing the player's control.

I don't think it's an issue of controls being "outdated PS2 stuff" Quite the contrary, TLG's system is pretty ambitious, it just wasn't executed perfectly.

I'll still need to play the game first but these are my early impressions.

The controls did seem a lot clunkier watching my wife play. Always going at full tilt, not really navigating around obstacles, straight path, rubbing against walls. Yeah he does interact with all the scenery in those occasions. There is also a lot more to interact with than in the previous games as well.

They could have added some more between walking and running. The analog behaviour has a large deadzone, then a part where he walks carefully, then straight to running at full speed. A brisk walking speed would help with all the stumbling that results from going full tilt without steering accordingly.

It's a fine line between actual control and pretty much auto steering what most games do nowadays. Once you get used to TLG's controls, it's a lot more fun than hold stick and press jump while the game does the rest. Lol Trico is getting impatient, he just started pushing and nudging me forward with his nose while typing this.

Found a legitimate reason it shouldn't score as high as Ico and SotC. No save slots. I hate that in modern games. Trigger a checkpoint too soon and you can't go back, no previous checkpoint nor chapter select. So ofcourse I get to a fork, decide to check out one way first, can't go back. Curiosity is too great to continue so I restarted the game.

Luckily the game is amazing and replaying the first 4 hours is no punishment, just as awesome as the first time.  (the controls are fine, very smooth the second way through) Yet extremely sloppy not to have a simple save system. Ico had a great save system, and in SotC I liked to keep saves just before my favorite Colossi. Restarting TLG also automatically overwrites the current progress without even asking. Be careful of who else has access to your ps4...

I'm further back than where I started today, but at least have a new cover image for my psn profile lol.

I'll manually upload the save to the cloud from now on to have something to revert back to. Wtf is so difficult with save/load game.

The Last Guardian is so great and "Trico"