By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Knack 2 versus Mario Switch

Louie said:

Is this a joke thread? Mario will obviously sell more.

I think the success of the PS4 is getting to some people's heads to be honest :P People always underestimate how volatile the gaming market is. For example on this very site from 2007-2010 people thought everything Nintendo would ever touch would turn into gold. Even suggesting the "Wii 2" would sell less than 50 million units was considered an act of craziness.
Today, people think Sony will be on top forever. Because we always exaggerate the likelihood of things staying the way they are.

All flowers wilt in time.

Perhaps Knack 2 will sell more than Mario Switch, but I think any person with a sense of the environment can be pretty sure that Mario will rise above Knack.

Around the Network

"Because he's the hero that PlayStation deserves, but not the one it needs right now..." - 2013

KNACK 2, THE COMEBACK! Game of the Generation BOIS!

Mario Switch

Switch!!!

I wouldn't be surprised if this one sells than the first game.
Even LittleBigPlanet, which was a bigger franchise than Knack sold less with each new game.
PS4 just isn't the platform for this type of game to actually succeed.

iLikeEggs said:
Knack is, arguably, the greatest game I have ever played; better than Dark Souls, Chrono Trigger, Planescape, FF6, Zelda, Metroid Prime. It deserves to sell better than Mario Switch, which will probably just be another rehashed Mario game that scores in the 50s on Metacritic, just like Mario Galaxy 1 and 2.

I agree with everything you said. And those reviews on Metacritic are all fake, if you dig the database the average is just what you put =p

Intrinsic said:
Knack and Mario in the same sentence?

Oh my, how the mighty have fallen.

Yes, Knack is on the canvas, but it's going to stand tall again.

Jranation said:
DonFerrari said:

Who will top the charts?

Let's never forget that Knack was outperforming Mario on UK.

How much did Knack sold? I know MK8 did 8mil+ In a 13mil user base. 

I'm talking about Mario platformer not Kart man.

Knack sold almost 2M and Mario 3D World 5M. But in UK for quite some time the rank showed Knack above Mario. This part isn't a joke.

LipeJJ said:

I just want to say that this thread if funny.

Btw, let's see... the worst selling 3D Mario ever (3D World) sold... like, 5.2m according to Nintendo. That's on a 13m install base.

So, unless you guys think Knack 2 will go on to sell 5m+ and that the new Mario (and Switch) will bomb harder than 3D World/Wii U, nope.

Sorry guys, I love Knack and I think it got undeserved hate, but there is no way to compare it to 3D Mario (sales or quality wise).

Well, you aren't considering all the digital sales. Considering a launch game that everybody wanted to play nothing short of 60% digital attach ratio is acceptable, so in the end Knack outsold Mario 3D World =p

COKTOE said:
But why? Can somebody please make an Uncharted 4 vs Devil's Third retrospective thread? Anyways, the answer is obviously Knack 2. I will bet that "Knacking" becomes the most popular term for rubbing one out before the end of 2020.

I haven't played Devil's Third so what is the connection point?

knacking seem so kinky.

Super_Boom said:
I think a better comparison would be Uncharted 4 and Valkyrie Drive: Bhikhuni.

Please post screenshots, I guess the boots in Valkyrie looks better than Drake old ass.

boypita said:

Are we really comparing Knack with Mario? :/ :O

Yep we are. In UK Knack was outselling Mario for quite some time.

Miyamotoo said:

Is this serious question!? Comparing one of biggest Nintendo IP with niche game that really nobody wanted!?

If we look VGC numbers, Knack sold 1.7m on PS4 instal base, SM3DW sold 4.2m on Wii U instal base, and now we will have brand new 3D Mario like launch title for Switch that will probably sell at least around 5m LT.

Hey, don't say nobody wanted, that hurts... I want Knack 2, and if you look at this thread or the one about the reveal you'll see that a lot of people wanted it.

Yes, PS4 install base at the release of Knack was 0, fantastic sales right? Selling 1.7M on a 0 userbase. Comparing Mario 3D World that sold 4.2M on a much bigger install base.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

Honestly my heart hurts when they announced Knack 2. I remember knack as a mediocre game that was fine for a launch game. Of all the platform games that I want a sequel from knack was the last one. I remember when I read about Crash bandicoot 2 and Jax 2...I was so excited.

Lol I'm sorry but, Knack 2 is probably going to have a tough time becoming a million-seller. Meanwhile if Switch doesn't flop and this Mario is the 64/Galaxy-type of Mario it for now looks to be, we're looking at anywhere from 7m-11m for that game.

DélioPT said:
I wouldn't be surprised if this one sells than the first game.
Even LittleBigPlanet, which was a bigger franchise than Knack sold less with each new game.
PS4 just isn't the platform for this type of game to actually succeed.

Yep, the lack of loving for platformers is a little sad

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Way too early to tell. But I think Mario Switch will sell more than Knack 2.

walsufnir said:
Intrinsic said:
Knack and Mario in the same sentence?

Oh my, how the mighty have fallen.

Random guy on the internet mentions two games in one sentence, result: the bigger one has fallen. Amazing.

you take these things too seriously. 

evident if you couldn't see the joke made even in what is obviously a joke thread.