By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is Switch's processing power important to you?

Is it?

Very, I won't buy it if it's weak 171 25.26%

Moderately so 281 41.51%

Not really 127 18.76%

No, power doesn't matter to me 63 9.31%

No, cos I'm not buying one 35 5.17%

Total:677
curl-6 said:
Miyamotoo said:

Now we beginning to go in circles...yes but XB1/PS4 are still this gen consoles that are staying on market they are not last gen console that will be replaced, and Switch power offcourse will be compare to them also.

Switch isn't launching alongide PS4 and Xbone though, it is launching alongside Scorpio and Pro. Wii U was part of the 2012-2013 hardware cycle, Switch is part of the 2016-2017 hardware cycle, and both look to have about the same power gap compared to the other systems in their cycle.

However, that doesn't mean the visual gap will be the same; Pro and Scorpio look to be wasting most of their extra power on resolution boosts that deliver diminishing returns, so if Switch doesn't make the same mistake and focusses on delivering optimum detail/shaders/effects/etc at 720p or even 900p, then the perceptual gap could indeed shrink even if the actual power gap remains consistent. If Switch shoots for 1080p though, much of its power will be wasted just in achieving that.

Thats true, but again XB1/PS4 are still this gen consoles that are staying on market they are not last gen console that will be replaced with Pro/Scorpio, and Switch power of course will be compare to them also, with all current gen consoles on market.

IMO Nintendo will target 1080p, 3rd party with true next gens will most likly target 720p (900p or even 1080p for less demanding games like Just Dance, Legos, Indies..) on Switch.

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:
bigtakilla said:

The list of partners is real, major 3rd party releases is you speculating, lol.

I said for list that is a fact, and of course that is very realistic to expect that some 3rd party will release some major 3rd party game, even Wii U had few of them..

People expected Nintendo themselves to support Wii U and they didn't do it. Expecting anything from third parties is ludicrous.

bigtakilla said:
Miyamotoo said:

I said for list that is a fact, and of course that is very realistic to expect that some 3rd party will release some major 3rd party game, even Wii U had few of them..

People expected Nintendo themselves to support Wii U and they didn't do it. Expecting anything from third parties is ludicrous.

You dont know what are you talking about, Wii U had two Batmans, two Assasins Creeds, two Call Of Dutys, Mass Effect 3, Deus EX, Need For Speed, Watch Dogs...so if Wii U had all those games actually it's totally ludicrous thinking that platform that will be more attractive for 3rd party developers (better sales and more popular platform, easier work and porting for Switch compared to Wii U, games in handhed mode also...), will not have any major 3rd party releases especially if we know that list of Switch partners and supporters is actually much stronger than Wii Us one.

Miyamotoo said:
bigtakilla said:

You dont know what are you talking about, Wii U had two Batmans, two Assasins Creeds, two Call Of Dutys, Mass Effect 3, Deus EX, Need For Speed, Watch Dogs...so if Wii U had all those games actually it's totally ludicrous thinking that platform that will be more attractive for 3rd party developers (better sales and more popular platform, easier work and porting for Switch compared to Wii U, games in handhed mode also...), will not have any major 3rd party releases especially if we know that list of Switch partners and supporters is actually much stronger than Wii Us one.

Yes but those games sold appallingly badly and they performed very poorly on the wii u hardware for most of those titles due to low cpu performance of the wii u. Some third party developers made good money by making low cost development titles for wii u of the right genre, dance, puzzle, platform etc and I think publishers will have a better grasp of the Switch market this time around. There seems to be arguments between no third party and lots of third party titles for Switch but surely the reality will be some 3rd party titles with a few AAA titles that are technically possible and sell such huge numbers on the major formats that there is still good money to be made on the conversion cost and reduced number sold.

There is also the way game sales work. If you have games available early on the release of a new console they often sell well, even poor titles as the person who purchased the console is looking to buy quite a few titles at the beginning so a console might sell with 3-4 extra games then it tapers off in games sold until the console has sold major numbers on the marketplace.

So it often makes sense to support a new console at launch and there may even be a legal requirement based on being provided a development kit but then publishers have to make a choice whether to continue to support which often they don't. You saw this with the wii u and many other consoles of the past.

However again I would state the Switch will get games from both Nintendo's portable game studios and full console studios and development teams plus it will get enhanced versions of android and ios games thanks to its arm processors. Those games will get decent controls and higher graphic fidelity plus its capable of easy conversions from xbox 360 and ps3. Also third party support is likely going to be great from Japan where the portable format is so important. I personally don't think it will get or need third party games from the pc, ps4 or xbox one and you wouldn't want them anyway because they will be rubbish versions.

To be honest I'd be reasonably happy with Wii U level of Western third party support, just a bit more effort on the sports games (FIFA/Madden NFL/NBA 2K and hopefully NHL). I don't expect Western devs to go crazy on the platform because it's unlikely to be the market leader in the West, but it would be nice to get your Western shooter/action game fix and sports games are important. 

For Japanese developers, I want better support. Not just Monster Hunter and Dragon Quest ... I want Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Soul Calibur, Ridge Racer, Metal Gear Solid, Marvel Vs. Capcom, etc. the whole pie, not just two pieces of it.

The 3DS is the rightful market leader in Japan and Switch is its successor, and if its possible to run said franchises (and I believe it is), then Switch should get all of those IP. Not just 50% of them.

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:
curl-6 said:

Switch isn't launching alongide PS4 and Xbone though, it is launching alongside Scorpio and Pro. Wii U was part of the 2012-2013 hardware cycle, Switch is part of the 2016-2017 hardware cycle, and both look to have about the same power gap compared to the other systems in their cycle.

However, that doesn't mean the visual gap will be the same; Pro and Scorpio look to be wasting most of their extra power on resolution boosts that deliver diminishing returns, so if Switch doesn't make the same mistake and focusses on delivering optimum detail/shaders/effects/etc at 720p or even 900p, then the perceptual gap could indeed shrink even if the actual power gap remains consistent. If Switch shoots for 1080p though, much of its power will be wasted just in achieving that.

Thats true, but again XB1/PS4 are still this gen consoles that are staying on market they are not last gen console that will be replaced with Pro/Scorpio, and Switch power of course will be compare to them also, with all current gen consoles on market.

IMO Nintendo will target 1080p, 3rd party with true next gens will most likly target 720p (900p or even 1080p for less demanding games like Just Dance, Legos, Indies..) on Switch.

Whether we call them "current gen" or not doesn't really matter though. Any system will naturally be compared against other consoles with which is coexists, like Wii U was with PS3/360. But since Switch is launching more than three years after PS4/Xbone and at the same time as Pro/Scorpio, it's inevitably going to be compared with the latter.

If Switch is indeed x3 more powerful than Wii U, I don't think 1080p would offer the best results; even Xbox One's sweet spot is below that. With that much horsepower you could draw some really nice graphics at 720p, but at 1080p detail/effects would not be that far beyond Wii U. Remember, 1080p is twice as many pixels as 720p, so just going from 720p to 1080p will cut your power in half.

curl-6 said:
Miyamotoo said:

Whether we call them "current gen" or not doesn't really matter though. Any system will naturally be compared against other consoles with which is coexists, like Wii U was with PS3/360. But since Switch is launching more than three years after PS4/Xbone and at the same time as Pro/Scorpio, it's inevitably going to be compared with the latter.

If Switch is indeed x3 more powerful than Wii U, I don't think 1080p would offer the best results; even Xbox One's sweet spot is below that. With that much horsepower you could draw some really nice graphics at 720p, but at 1080p detail/effects would not be that far beyond Wii U. Remember, 1080p is twice as many pixels as 720p, so just going from 720p to 1080p will cut your power in half.

Yes, we definatly go in cyrcles so this is my last reply on this matter (just read my previous posts), offcourse thats matter becuse when Pro/Scorpio arived on market PS3/Xbox360 become last gen, while PS4/XB1 will be curent gen consoles alongside with Pro/Scorpio and they will continue to have full suport with all same games atleast until next gen arives, and XB1/PS4 will be continue to be much more popular and much more better selling consoles on market compared to Pro/Scorpio. Totally different situation with Wii U compared to PS3/Xbox 360 and XB1/PS4.

I was talking about Nintendo games, and Nintendo usually don't use realistic graphics that is demanding like MS/Sony and majority of 3rd partie games. Similar graphic level of Nintendo Wii U games just running at 1080p with AA and some more details/effects would be great.

For me, storage options is more important than power. As long as is more powerful than wii-u I am fine with it, only worried about storage options since I would like to buy digital and would like to see remaster of old wii and wii-u games that I could buy in bulk.

Having never had a nintendo console since the original fat gameboy, having the oportunity to play all nintendo games I might have missed would be a instant buy for me.

Nintendo's eschewed going for power these past two gens, why demand it now? Nintendo systems are what they are. You get them to play their games.

I have my other brands for power. Nintendo is not competing directly with them so dont expect it. I will honored to have a handheld to carry a nintendo collection around,