By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PSX, an example on why Sony is winning this generation

BraLoD said:
It's winning because games, as it should be.

Pretty much this. Microsoft and Nintendo fans can't deny that.

Around the Network

XBox One has 95% of the same really worthwhile games as PS4 does. They got off to a good start by taking advantage of some mistakes on MS' part, but even MS is doing a better job now.

Of "exclusives" I honestly feel like Uncharted/Horizon/GoW and Halo/Gears are the only two that really matter *that* much and even those don't matter as much as they used to. Masses of people aren't purchasing either platform because of things like Knack 2 or something. 

People just want one system that has access to all the third party content they want, the PS4 was cheaper and more powerful and got the leg up on MS.

MS made a grave mistake in banking on Kinect, and that made their system simultatenously $100 more expensive AND less powerful (a no-no for the XBox brand, since people associate it with good hardware). They are recovering from that by making smarter decisions now but I think the damage for this gen has already been done. 

I dunno - I don't find the playstation brand appealing to my gaming taste at all. JRPGs and movie games just aren't my thing. I didn't watch the show - but I can't see any announcement I care about either. Xbox and Nintendo suit my needs just fine.

Some of us just like different things in gaming. And that's ok.

Nautilus said:
Soundwave said:

Fact of the matter is events like "PSX" don't really impact the regular buyer.

We (the people who follow events like this) are the vast, vast minority and we bought our next-gen consoles like 3 years ago.

Sony took advantage of MS' early blunders this generation, and today when you have a lead it's harder to come back because systems are tied to online networks. So if today "Johnny" is looking to buy a next gen console it's less about "OMG, PSX event had some niche Japanese exclusive" and more about "4 of my friends already have a PS4, if I want to play Madden or COD online with them I have to buy a PS4".

Half the stuff people argue about on this board I really don't think the average joe I see buying a system really gives a shit about. 

Go to a GameStop or Best Buy and say "wow, guess you're buying that PS4 because Ni No Kuni 2 is exclusive, huh? That PSX trailer was unreal, right? Microsoft just has no answer for this" and you'll get either laughed at or a puzzled look. 

You are completely right, but thats the whole point.WE are the early adopters, We are the ones that set the trend, simply because we are the ones that go out and say to the average Joe "Hey, this console has awesome games!Go out and buy it so you can enjoy it too/play with me".There is a very good video that talk about with from MatPat.If you have the time I recommend you check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyXcr6sDRtw

By we, I mean the hardcore gamers, which obviously includes us, but also include the big youtube channels, such as lets play channels, opinion channels, and more.And they are obviously extremely influential.And that is, and was the great marketing push the PS4 needed to be successful and continues to be successful because of that.

Wow.... I just watched the linked video.

Thats insane,... and it makes it really clear how badly Nintendos youtube policy might actually be.

Also Pewdiepie does seem to like Playstation games... wonder how far off from the true this "gamestheory" really is.

Sony has already given me games to look forward to up to the year 2018, and 2016 isnt even over yet! By the time 2018 hits there'll be more games to look forward to in 2020 etc...

Sony just wont give me a break to let me drop down the controller. No other company has ever done this to me and this is why Sony has always been my main console.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
The OP is too much about arranging data points to fit a conclusion. At its most basic level, the OP is about as pointless as writing the same thing about the 3DS. When the competition has committed so many suicidal mistakes in either case, then the victory is more a matter of "win by default" instead of a win by effort.

Beyond that, Scorpio is the next generation Xbox, because it doesn't merely feature a refined CPU and GPU, but an entirely new chipset. Nintendo Switch is obviously next generation as well. Therefore Sony has won the home console side of generation 8, no matter what kind of scenarios you come up with for Scorpio and Switch. The PS5 isn't far off either. A 2018 launch should be expected at the current state of things.

Hardly.The initial mistake surely was essential for the PS4 to reach this level of success, but it is not the sole explanation that the PS4 managed to keep this kind of lead for so long.Taking out the Wii U, that had too many mistakes to be really salvagable, the XOne surely could have been a lot close rto PS4 total sales, given Phil recent string of right decisions, if Sony had slacked off.Recent NPD number shows just that, that XOne is at the very least matching PS4 numbers, and while I dont believe it will surpass it, it is at the very least putting up a good fight now.And there are examples of consoles that started really bad and managed to pick up and even outsold another console that clearly had the advantage.The PS3 is one such example.Even the 3DS may not have sold it as much as it did if not for the dedication early on from Nintendo to fix its bad launch, even when it had zero competition.

And aboutnthe switch and Scorpio, it was more about the future of them as a company rather than the 8 gen.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

CGI-Quality said:
jason1637 said:
Sony isnt winning based on exclusives alone lol. They are winning because of MS,/Nintendo messing up, better hardware, better versions of AAA games, and exclusives.

"But it also acknowledges the simple fact that it also needs diversity, and sometimes needs to take a chance with new games,either by developing on its own or promoting third party games and putting it on the spotlight both in genres popular and otherwise, like Gravity Rush 2,The Last Guardian, Danganronpa 3, Ys Origin, and indie games in general."

That, alone, emphasizes that the company doesn't just depend on its own IPs. The PS1/2 and now 4 all won for a plethora of reasons (something that a console should win on). So there really isn't a suggestion that they're depending on only their stuff and nothing else. Because, quite frankly, none of the console makers can do that anymore.

I don't think any platform can or has ever been successful based on their exclusives alone. Never.

It's easy for people to say "but Nintendo" when looking at the Wii, but thats not even remotely the case. The Wii was not successful because Nintendo had a massive plethora of first party games to push the hardware, it was successful because the premise of the hardware itself was unique and that spurned interest. Hence no tension ended up with a console that 100M people bought but outside its bundled game no one was really buying games and one or two odd games no one was buying games for it. 

OT: I find it funny that the strenght of sony's IP diversity is only beginning to be recognized by all now. This is something sony had done since the PS1 era. It's the reason I still buy PS consoles. 

RolStoppable said:
The OP is too much about arranging data points to fit a conclusion. At its most basic level, the OP is about as pointless as writing the same thing about the 3DS. When the competition has committed so many suicidal mistakes in either case, then the victory is more a matter of "win by default" instead of a win by effort.

Beyond that, Scorpio is the next generation Xbox, because it doesn't merely feature a refined CPU and GPU, but an entirely new chipset. Nintendo Switch is obviously next generation as well. Therefore Sony has won the home console side of generation 8, no matter what kind of scenarios you come up with for Scorpio and Switch. The PS5 isn't far off either. A 2018 launch should be expected at the current state of things.

That's quite ridiculous to think that Sony just won by default.  To suggest that would make it seem that Sony has been lazy since launch, just getting by on others mistakes, when in fact the exact opposite is the truth.  Good decisions and games, as well as brand strength, have made them the lead console BY FAR for 3 out of 4 gens.  I mean Sony screwed up just as bad last gen as MS did this one, maybe even more, yet they were able to almost fully recover by the end of the gen.  Something MS can't do this gen, regardless of throwing money and firesales at the problem.  They aren't going to match, and then surpass, the PS4 later this gen, like the PS3 did to the 360.  Nor will they even come within ~15M of the lead platform, like the PS3 did, as well.

There's much more to it than just the other guys screwed up.

For me it is the sheer volume and variety of titles. 

Soundwave said:

XBox One has 95% of the same really worthwhile games as PS4 does. They got off to a good start by taking advantage of some mistakes on MS' part, but even MS is doing a better job now

Mmmmmm I can almost taste the hyperbole.

But the truth is that Xbox Ones total game library is about 70% the size of PS4's.

After finding instant success with their first attempt at the game market, followed up by the best selling console of all time, which was then followed by their lowest selling console ever at a measily 90 million sold... But no. I'm sure that Sony who's won 2 out of 3 generations is only winning this time around because the smaller brand fucked up their launch.