By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - FFXV ships 5 million worldwide

tbone51 said:
Kerotan said:

I know lawlight isn't being serious but if big franchises actually did this would it boost sales much like it does for Pokemon?  you'd also have to note that pokemon sells for $40 not $60 so in total they're paying $80 if they buy both rather then $120.

You also have to note that the games hardly drop in price (other than deals) while your COD/BF/fifa/etv drop after 2-3 months (msrp). So you should account that too if you want to be technical.

As for pokemon, its like people think that every1/majority buy both games. Yes you can say many people do it but its nowhere near as much as people make it out to be and only a few games can pull this off. Pokemon being one of them because of how the games are structured.

That said its funny people bring this up then ignore stuff like ps4 pro/n3ds/etc double dipping and the many ports/remasters of last gen to this gen (like gtav selling 60mil).

So,  is a game that launched this week  selling because of remasters and ports? GtA sold  over 45-50 millions without the remasters. It was so recent that doesn't count

Around the Network
Swordmasterman said:
tbone51 said:

You also have to note that the games hardly drop in price (other than deals) while your COD/BF/fifa/etv drop after 2-3 months (msrp). So you should account that too if you want to be technical.

As for pokemon, its like people think that every1/majority buy both games. Yes you can say many people do it but its nowhere near as much as people make it out to be and only a few games can pull this off. Pokemon being one of them because of how the games are structured.

That said its funny people bring this up then ignore stuff like ps4 pro/n3ds/etc double dipping and the many ports/remasters of last gen to this gen (like gtav selling 60mil).

So,  is a game that launched this week  selling because of remasters and ports? GtA sold  over 45-50 millions without the remasters. It was so recent that doesn't count

I was adding on to the fact. Im not saying sales should be cut in half/etc. Im saying that ports are more double dipped than something like pokemon. Ex i bet more people double dipped for OoT 3d than for either of the pokemon games for ex. (I said gtav cuz its one of the best selling ports)

What's with all the Pokemon comparsion?

Anyways, this is a great achievement! Even if it only has a 50% sell-through then that would mean it sold 2.5m FW and if you keep in mind that the latest cod sold 3.8m FW then JRPGs don't seem that dead anymore on home consoles.

tbone51 said:
DonFerrari said:

Tha part of FF XV being less similar to other japanese derived games could very well be the reason and Square seeing the sales diminish decide to push even more away from japanesc on it.

Lets say that is the reason, people only started to state this more and more closer to ffxv release because we knew of a decline coming. A year ago or more we didnt expect it to drop this much (like when gaf and here on vgc people were comparing splatoon to ffxv in sales) despite us knowing what kind a game that ffxv would be.

Anyway like i said that could very well be the reason but thats still a huge hit. I can say that ffxiii did more damage as a whole that this but to each their own. Only thing i disagree with is the market changed. Just because many ips went downhill (in terms of sales) doesnt mean its ok to say thats reason enough.

Oh well my bad for bringing this up :/

The bad on you is just that you brought as if FF is the one decaying and denying it's the Japanese market. The exceptions you brought certainly aren't the rule.

The market was already on the down, the game was made even less like what the japan cater, so it got even lower. It is expected to theses guys, have they said it's good? Because I think you are trying to make a case where there isn't.

tbone51 said:
Swordmasterman said:

I was adding on to the fact. Im not saying sales should be cut in half/etc. Im saying that ports are more double dipped than something like pokemon. Ex i bet more people double dipped for OoT 3d than for either of the pokemon games for ex. (I said gtav cuz its one of the best selling ports)

It's possible that there is more double dips on TLOUR than on Pokemon? Sure. But also if there were only one version of pokemon it would be more probable that 2 friends would buy only one cartridge and share the game instead of each buying one to exchange pokemon, besides from the beggining that specific part being used as the justification for the success of Pokemon.

And mostly the remasters aren't really discussed, the strongest discussion is on the release of the game.

About the drop in price. Yes, Cod, Fifa, etc drop faster than Nintendo games, but even if after 3 months it gets discounted a lot (or most in some cases) sales are still made before the price drops.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

i think people forget that the first Playstation sold 140+ million thats almost triple then then amount of consoles on the market now. Right now ps4 is up to 46mil and xbone is around 24 mil right?...after one more year of more console getting into the market i'm sure well see higher game sales in comparison with other games. If either ps4 and xbone have a market hold of 100 million or more...we would see massive FFXV sales as with any other game.

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
squibbfire said:
i think people forget that the first Playstation sold 140+ million thats almost triple then then amount of consoles on the market now. Right now ps4 is up to 46mil and xbone is around 24 mil right?...after one more year of more console getting into the market i'm sure well see higher game sales in comparison with other games. If either ps4 and xbone have a market hold of 100 million or more...we would see massive FFXV sales as with any other game.

PS1 didn't sold over 140M. Sold over 100M.
Install base is a very poor argument as well, by the way, if that was the case late gen games should start selling gangbuster to match games that sold well before them, I don't even know why people bring up install base in most cases, to be honest.

To push an agenda...

Like Splatoon is a bigger success than UC4 because attach ratio is bigger. Halo haven't really outsold UC because first the digital attach ratio is 90% and second the install base is half.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

BraLoD said:
squibbfire said:

Install base is a very poor argument as well, by the way, if that was the case late gen games should start selling gangbuster to match games that sold well before them, I don't even know why people bring up install base in most cases, to be honest.

actually I confused it with the PS2... which sold over 140+

Install base is key. btw...

You can only sell so many games on 13 million wii u's....ya know.

squibbfire said:
BraLoD said:

MK8 sold 8mil. Imagine if it were multiplat? Be well over 60mil! :p

tbone51 said:
squibbfire said:

MK8 sold 8mil. Imagine if it were multiplat? Be well over 60mil! :p

pretty sure they bundled that out with some consoles there big guy....

squibbfire said:
BraLoD said:

Nope... install base is a variable but far from being the most important, unless as the guy said you think that if WiiU had 160M install base MK 8 would sell over 100M.