By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pokemon Sun/Moon Has Sold 7.5 million + Since Launch

mountaindewslave said:
AnmolRed said:

I think this undershipping strategy has carried on long enough,people will be pissed if they do this again with their next succesful hardware product.

its pure speculation regarding 'undershipping' being a strategy. it doesn't logically make sense. For example, when the Marth Amiibo was hard to find it wasn't hard to find because Nintendo was deliberately trying to build up hype

bear in mind that the number of people who would ever buy a Marth amiibo is a tiny like 0.1% of the number of people who purchased ones of like Mario, Link, Metroid

the point I'm making is its a bit of a conspiracy theory to suggest that Nintendo is doing this deliberately over and over. The more realistic thing is that they are EXTREMELY safe with releases sometimes. They don't want to make a ton of product and then send the product to stores and have it not sell and end up losing a ton of money on production. They'd rather create a little, test the market, sell out of them, make more. Its just simple business

I will agree that they have misjudged things in the past, like the NES Classic, but I am almost certain its more due to their conservative safe strategies rather than some strange plan to build imaginary hype. Trust me in general hype dies down if people can't find something, not vice versa (when you're talking about a long sales period, like a year).

They can comfortably ship 10 million physical Pokemon games because they have like 5 generations beforehand of games to base sales on and the safety of production.

They didn't have the same thing for Amiibos or the NES Classic. just saying.

I never really believed Nintendo deliberately undershipped anything in order to generate artificial hype and demand. I just feel like it needs to do a better job at meeting demand, regardless of whether it's a product that has had six generations of data to extract from like Pokemon, or otherwise.

Around the Network
Wyrdness said:
I think we just got the answer to a previous thread where some people thought 10m units was an over shipment.

Yeap 10mil was undershipped xD

tbone51 said:
Wyrdness said:
I think we just got the answer to a previous thread where some people thought 10m units was an over shipment.

Not really, depends on when they're planning another shipment. The first shipment should last another couple of weeks, will need another shipment before christmas though.

Will see how close my estimate of 13 million sold this year is...

Barkley said:
tbone51 said:

Not really, depends on when they're planning another shipment. The first shipment should last another couple of weeks, will need another shipment before christmas though.

13mil is about to get blown back lol :p

7.5mil (Nov 26th/27th?) sold with possible 100k-800k more (we dont have the full figures just yet).

With the next 5 weeks if its sells around 5mil more (just an estimate could be lower than that) than the games will have sold 12.5mil minimum so shipments will easily be more than 15mil :)

Well, whether it's undershipped or just right really depends on when they release in March. 
If it's the week ending on the 3rd or 10th, it's too low, 17th, 24th is just right, 31st is too high.
Too compare to the PS4 and Xbox One's laucnhes and how long they took to reach 2 million:

PS4:
- 98,775 (Xbox One's launch)
- 963,588 (Black Friday) (2,133,547)

Xbox One:
- 456,471 (Black Friday)
- 376, 207   (2,224,826)

Now of course, they launched during the holiday season, but they were also more expensive than what the Switch is rumored to be so we'll see. But, personally, I think 2 million in March is a safe estimate.

Around the Network

GO NINTENDO GO!
GO NINTENDO GO!
GO NINTENDO GO!

Seriously I think a lot of gamers are ready for some Nintendo goodness and are getting a little jaded with whats available on other systems. Even casual mobile gamers are ready for some too. If the Switch is getting a pokemon game that you can play on the go AND on the HD TV with one system purchase, Nintendo will hit it out of the park.

Hey! They got SONY on my amiibo! Wait a minute. Two great gaming tastes that game great together!

Switch FC: SW-0398-8858-1969

tbone51 said:
Barkley said:

13mil is about to get blown back lol :p

shipments will easily be more than 15mil :)

13 Million Sold to Consumers is my prediction for this year, not shipped.

Pokemon Go served it's purpose.