By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Fidel Castro is dead at 90.

Communism is a nice theory on paper and probably can work alright in small groups, but I don't see it working in a modern world with a large population. There's too many inefficiencies and problems that arise.

Some form of a well regulated free market with solid social programs for citizens along with a democratic setup works best.

Maybe some version of it in a Star Trek like future where humanity is more invested in space travel and we have things like replicators, we'll have a post-capitalist world, but that's probably a few hundred years off.

Around the Network

Good riddance.

pastro243 said:
Ruler said:

it simple means cuba is richer than the rest of capitalist latin america and other US allies in the third world and second world. Food shortages? Thats why cuba has the highest life exceptancies in latin america

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_life_expectancy

Chile is Capitalist as fuck and beats it in both ranks you posted, stats can be used either way 

Oh, and what "capitalist" latin america do you mean, Bolivia? Venezuela? Ecuador? 

yeah capitalist like 99% of the rest of the world, there are a lot more capitalist countries who are poorer than Cuba. Chile is barley richer and its only dueto the copper production. Venezuela is lso doing better than the average latin american countries.

SkepticallyMinded said:
Ruler said:

it simple means cuba is richer than the rest of capitalist latin america and other US allies in the third world and second world. Food shortages? Thats why cuba has the highest life exceptancies in latin america

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_life_expectancy

Is this a joke? Barely beating Ecuador/Jamaica/Macedonia in GDP per capita is NOT an accomplishment. That's like a McDonalds employee being excited about making more than a Burger King employee. They are all essentially living in squalor in a perpetual state of destitution. 

EDIT: Quoted the wrong post, but I'm not going to fix it. :)

http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/NY.GDP.PCAP.PP.CD?locations=ZJ-CU-MK-EC-JM

NobleTeam360 said:
Good riddance.

why? 

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

End of an (ugly/interesting) era. For the alarmists of today who think their generation is special, the 1960s was far more dangerous than today and the world came within probably minutes of nuclear war.

It's mainly due to President Kennedy IMO that a nuclear World War III was avoided.

If JFK had made a different set of decisions during those fateful days in 1962, none of us would be here typing on our computers, because the world would've be such a vastly different place that none of us probably would've been born.

Of course it took an Irish man to save the world.  I'm basically the modern equivalent,  saving Vgchartz every single day!  

On topic : 

RIP. A truly historic figure who stuck to his beliefs.  it's nice that Cuba re opened relations with the US while he was still alive.  imo these 2 nations should be allies and both would benefit economically. 

Guy really stuck around.

Ruler said:
pastro243 said:

Chile is Capitalist as fuck and beats it in both ranks you posted, stats can be used either way 

Oh, and what "capitalist" latin america do you mean, Bolivia? Venezuela? Ecuador? 

yeah capitalist like 99% of the rest of the world, there are a lot more capitalist countries who are poorer than Cuba. Chile is barley richer and its only dueto the copper production. Venezuela is lso doing better than the average latin american countries.

"Barely richer" and you are using PPP to compare, using the copper argument and forgetting Venezuela's oil? I think you should just visit South/latin America and compare infrastructure and lifestyle and you could get a better picture. It wouldn't be a bad thing since most of the economic figures thrown by national services in south america are BS (just check Argentina's case)

Everyone can play the same graph game to prove a point  

http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/NY.GDP.PCAP.CD?locations=CU-EC-BO-CL-VE

Besides, Pinochet supporters in Chile use the economic growth argument to his favor, doesn't mean he wasn't a fucker who killed thousands of people and tortured others while getting rich by kidnapping the whole government while suppresing political and democratic organization. Same can be said about Fidel, only that he played for the other team.  

Ruler said:
NobleTeam360 said:
Good riddance.

why? 

(quote) He got super rich through corruption and he enforced poverty onto his people. He was a despised leader just like every other third world despotic dictator. (/quote)

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

I visited Cuba while he was still president, beautifull to see how a country looks with no US influence, proberbly the only place I ever walked trough an entire city and didnt see a macdonalds lol.

Anyway, he was a leader and he did a lot of things that helped his country and a lot that didn't but it seems to be a man that loved his country, rest in peace and lets be honest, 90 is a really good age to go.

Twitter @CyberMalistix