By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - SMACH Z. A Nintendo Switch with(out) Nintendo games?

What do you think about the Smach Z?

Great Concept 18 17.31%

Its okay. 21 20.19%

Its shit. 26 25.00%

Its Garbage, the Switch w... 28 26.92%

Results 11 10.58%

Total:104

Thinking about it, it is an interesting device. If its done right you got access to thousands of games with no compromise. NES, SNES, Genesis, N64, PS1, PS2, GCN, Wii etc. I wonder if it can run Saturn games? Nights into Dreams would look lovely on it.

Around the Network
omgfk said:
Nautilus said:

That last point is actually a negatibe in my opinion.The potential costumer for the device is one that will likely want it to last at least 4 years.If there is already a revision of the hardware in one year, people will back off from it, because it could mean alot of things:support dropping from the earlier itinerations, games running real bad in the earlier revisions, be forced to buy yet another hardware just to keep up with things.Console gamers in general likes the convinience that Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo gives with their hardware, and the itineration concept is not one of them.

And I dont think there is any problem in calling this shit andpretending to buy the Switch.While there is alot that will be announced that could make the Switch even more unique, the two of them arent that different.But the issue lies in the points i have made:they create an abysm of, lets say, desirebility betwenn them.I personally, have zero interest in this device but I am very excited for the Switch.I wouldnt go as far as to say this is shit, but for me it is simply a bad product, for what it is offering and for the price.

so beeing able to play thousands of pc games, basically all Wii, Gamecube, Ps2, n64, Ps1 etc games on the go sounds bad for you?

If this concept sounds bad/not interesting to you but you like the switch because of the nintendo games, you could basically get a wii u. It has the nintendo games as well. The wii u sold horrible though, so I doubt the nintendo games alone will make people buying the switch instead of the Smach (especially if the smach will get alot more popular)

Also: This is basically a pc. especially if the switch is a success, you can be very sure even other companies (alienware, asus, acer,...) will release similar products to this as well in 2017/2018. Its almost a given. The hardware nowadays is capable of doing something like this (switch/smachZ), so it will be done if there is a market interested in console like mobile gaming (basically the switchs main feature).

Yes, because those games I can already emulate on my PC.Not only that, but many of those old games can be purchased in the Virtual console that The Switch will obviously have.And the most important things:Those are old games.Only hardcore fans like us play old games, and even then we go back to the point I already wrote:PC already does that for free, a machine everyone already has.The same goes for all those Steam games, all on PCs, that even dont require much power to run those games that are simply not modern.

And if you want more explanation, read Mountaindew post.I would also add that the Switch could potentially get good third party support, but thats better left out and wait for 100% confirmation in january.

And you keep comparing with the Wii U.The Wii U didnt fail because people are not that interested in Nintendo games anymore, it failed for a myriad reasons:Marketing, costs, droughts, lack of third party, horrible name,its unique idea not well implemented, etc.There more reasons

And the Switch seems to be going to fix those issues.Thats why we are all so excited.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

OdinHades said:

I'm not comparing the library of the Switch to anything. All I know is that I want to play new Nintendo games, so I won't get around the hardware. 

Look, this may be a nice concept, but it really isn't for me. I'm not going to carry the Switch around a whole lot while outside. When I leave the house, I will still use my Vita or PSP Go, because this beast here as well as the Switch are way way too big and clunky for my taste. What I like about the Switch is that I can use it everywhere at my home, be it in the bedroom or in the living room while my wife watches TV or something. Ok, now you might say, hey, this mighty device gives you the chance to do just that with PC gaming, yai? Well, no. As I said, the Vita got me covered. I can also stream PC games to the Vita thanks to Moonlight and Henkaku, all good, get that Xbox One Bluetooth Controller and I'm ready to go. Or, if I want a bigger screen, I'll just use my laptop, which is way way way more powerful than this device. Or, if I want to get away from everything, I'll use my Gear VR and stream Steam games on it with, again, Moonlight.

So the thing in all essence is, I already have so many damn options to play the way I want to, I don't need any more. This thing just brings nothing new to the table that I don't already have. Period. The same is true for the Switch, in all honesty. But Nintendo brings dem games and Nintendo does it like nobody else does.

But that's still not everything. I play a lot on PC. I know PC gaming pretty damn well and I also know the problems that come with it. Sure, many times everything runs just fine, but there are always times when something isn't working quite as it should. Just some weeks ago, my wife got real mad at me, because the Sims 3 didn't work for no apparent reason. I had to hit "repair" on Origin and had to download 6.5 GB of data to be able to play. Good luck doing that on the go. And that is just one of many examples. I am 100 % sure that I won't run into such problems with the Switch. No windows updates, no new graphics drivers, no mandatory game updates (sorry, dude, your Steam game is updating, you can't play it until it's done, kthxbye!), nothing. The Switch will work flawlessly even when it's completely offline. A windows 10 gaming PC? Not so much...

Furthermore, the controllers aren't detachable. So no Multiplayer fun on the go. Sure, I could always take a second Xbox Controller with me. Like that thing itself isn't big enough, right? 

But in all essence, I can't play anything new on this piece. I already have a beefy PC that will pump out way better graphics. Hell, my notebook runs circles around this thing. So what's the point? When I got the Vita, I got to play Uncharted: Golden Abyss, Persona 4 Golden, Gravity Rush and many more titles. When I got the 3DS, I was ready for Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Puzzle & Dragons, Xenoblade Chronicles, Ocarina of Time 3D any many more. When I get the Switch, I will be able to play the new Zelda and Mario and whatever the hell Nintendo decides to throw at this thing. When I buy a Smach, I will be able to play... uh... all the games I am already able to play? Yai?

But I'll tell you what. I'll get Skyrim for Switch. Just to get on your nerves a little more. Heh he. He. xP

Seriously though, I get you like the thing and all and that's cool. But it's not for everybody. It's actually a device for a pretty small group of people. I just don't see the need for such devices in this day and age anymore. Back in the days, there was all the rage about pandora. "Yai, I have a PC on the go, oh my gawd, this can do everything!". That was cool and all, because it really was something new and unique... in 2001. Today we have the PSP, the Vita, and Smartphones which got you coveres for small games, homebrew and emulators on the go. This thing isn't a revolution anymore, it's just on of many similar devices, even if it might be somewhat different by running Windows 10, but whatever. It's also way too expensive. I'll get TWO Switches for that price.

Do you got a wii u? Because it sound like beeing the perfect console for you. Great Nintendo games, you can play on the gamepad and dont need your tv (can carry it around but range is not as great). Alot better fit for you then the switch. So you obviously got a wii u right?

Also: Yeah you already got a pc and can play all those games.

All games you got for pc/on steam -> they are free downloads on the Smach. While you probl have to pay 40-60 bucks for skyrim on switch, its a free download on the smach.

When you are in your house and connected to your Wifi, you can stream your pc games to the smach => have high end pc graphics on the handheld and can carry it around your home.

So basically the only real advantages the switch has is games (and maybe simplicity, we dont know yet). Same advantages the wii u had - and sold 13 mio WW.

omgfk said:
Miyamotoo said:

Iam exatied about new Nintendo platform offcourse.Because of Nintendo and Nintendo game on 1st place of course, second, Switch is gaming console and it will have tons of games and huge number of exclusive games, while this basically Mini PC that will run just multiplatforms.

This basically like you asking me, why I would buy PS4 instead of Steam Machine, this is basically Steam Machine compared to PS4, doesn't really has anything with real console gaming.

So you dont like the specific "hardware idea" behind the switch but the nintendo games? So the switch is basically as good as the wii u for you (both play nintendo games). Got it.

Shouldnt forget that PC palttform also has exlcusive games (that you can play on other pcs as well off course). Examples: Starcraft 2, Age of Empires, Guild Wars 2, World of Warcraft, Arma 3, Gothic, Black and White, League of Legends, Pokemon Uranium, Civilisation 6, Total War and many more...

No, I like idea that I can use Switch like real home console or like real handheld, especially idea that is for 1st time unified platform that will have full undivided Nintendo support, but whats important for every Nintendo platform or console are of course on 1st place Nintendo games.

They are not exclusive games because you play them on every PC (not to mention that playing strategy games on this thing wouldn't be practical at all), Switch exclusive game can be played only on Switch.

Like I wrote, comparing this thing with Switch is exactly like comparing Steam Machine with PS4, doesn't really has anything with real console gaming.

Nautilus said:

Yes, because those games I can already emulate on my PC.Not only that, but many of those old games can be purchased in the Virtual console that The Switch will obviously have.And the most important things:Those are old games.Only hardcore fans like us play old games, and even then we go back to the point I already wrote:PC already does that for free, a machine everyone already has.The same goes for all those Steam games, all on PCs, that even dont require much power to run those games that are simply not modern.

Yeah. 

The Smach does exactly the same any pc does but beeing portable.

The Switch does exactly the same the Wii U did but beeing portable.

I do understand your opinion, but unfortunaly the wii u sold horrible and if "beeing portable" is not that much of a deal for you, only hardcore nintendo fans will get a switch. 

Around the Network

omgfk said:

[...]

Of course I have a Wii U. But you're missing the point. The switch will get new Nintendo games. I'm out of luck with the Wii U from here on out. And I want these games. I want them so bad! I really don't care too much about the hardware itself, could be a potato for all I care. All I want is them games and there will be pretty damn good games that will be only available on Switch.

omgfk said:

When you are in your house and connected to your Wifi, you can stream your pc games to the smach => have high end pc graphics on the handheld and can carry it around your home.

As I said, I can already do that on my Vita. Or on my Laptop. Or on my Smartphone. Or in VR with Gear VR. Does that sound like I need yet another option?

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Miyamotoo said:

No, I like idea that I can use Switch like real home console or like real handheld, especially idea that is for 1st time unified platform that will have full undivided Nintendo support, but whats important for every Nintendo platform or console are of course on 1st place Nintendo games.

They are not exclusive games because you play them on every PC (not to mention that playing strategy games on this thing wouldn't be practical at all), Switch exclusive game can be played only on Switch.

Like I wrote, comparing this thing with Switch is exactly like comparing Steam Machine with PS4, doesn't really has anything with real console gaming.

You can connect keyboard mouse to the Smach. Connect to a TV or Monitor and play Starcraft 2.

Also: You can play most nintendo games already on other hardware. If leaks are true, 50% of the switchs library is already on the wii u. So very similar situation.

People will get the switch to be able to play Nintendo games (which are still all often very similar) on the go in 7th gen console like quality.

Same goes for the Smach. The past already prooved that nintendo games dont sell much consoles. Look at gamecube or wii u sales. Wii only sold good because of motion control hype.

OdinHades said:

omgfk said:

[...]

Of course I have a Wii U. But you're missing the point. The switch will get new Nintendo games. I'm out of luck with the Wii U from here on out. And I want these games. I want them so bad! I really don't care too much about the hardware itself, could be a potatoe for all I care. All I want is them games and there will be pretty damn good games that will be only available on Switch.

omgfk said:

As I said, I can already do that on my Vita. Or on my Laptop. Or on my Smartphone. Or in VR with Gear VR. Does that sound like a need yet another option?

yeah alright i do understand know why you arnt interested in this. You love nintendo, will get everything they make and have tons of gaming devices anyway and arnt even really interested in the switch concept. Could be a wii u 2 and would be as cool for you right?

So thi does make complelty sense for you, unfortunaly the mass markets are different. I dont say the (very unpopular) Smach will kill Switch Sales, but if portable pcs get common in the future, mass market may prefer that to switch. especially if the switch doesnt have the third party support people are hoping.

omgfk said:
Miyamotoo said:

You can connect keyboard mouse to the Smach. Connect to a TV or Monitor and play Starcraft 2.

Also: You can play most nintendo games already on other hardware. If leaks are true, 50% of the switchs library is already on the wii u. So very similar situation.

People will get the switch to be able to play Nintendo games (which are still all often very similar) on the go in 7th gen console like quality.

Same goes for the Smach. The past already prooved that nintendo games dont sell much consoles. Look at gamecube or wii u sales. Wii only sold good because of motion control hype.

And why effort if I can just play them on PC!?

Lol about very similar situation. You can play any game for "Smach Z" on every PC on market! On Switch you will have remasters of around 5-6 Wii U games that can be played (just OG versions not remasters) only on Wii U (not on evre console on market, and we know there are only around 13 Wii U owners), every new exclusive game of course can be played only on Switch, and there will be incomparible bigger number of new games than those few Wii U remasters.

Games quality are not determined by how much strong hardware is on which those games runs. GC and Wii hardware are almost same, but they are games from different gens of course.

I dont see how sales have anything with this matter, Switch will be sold in tens of millions and it will have some of best exclusives on gaming market, while almost nobody will know that this thing exist at all, you alone can see that nobody really didn't know thing thing exist at all before you made a thread.

You have really weak arguments with little sense.

omgfk said:
Nautilus said:

Yeah. 

The Smach does exactly the same any pc does but beeing portable.

The Switch does exactly the same the Wii U did but beeing portable.

I do understand your opinion, but unfortunaly the wii u sold horrible and if "beeing portable" is not that much of a deal for you, only hardcore nintendo fans will get a switch. 

Why do you keep bringing things back to Wii U?I just explained why the Switch is fixing Wii U issues and wont be a Wii U 2, and you go on to say "Bah, The Switch is like Wii U.Forget everything it is doing right, because they are clearly the same thing!"Did you see the positive reception the reveal got?The total views the trailers acrosd multiple channel has?You say the Seitch has no chance, but a system that is weaker, poorly optimized, more expensive, has zero exclusives or new games has better chances of being more successful?Please.

Edit:Oh and next time you try to downplay my comment, do quote everything I said instead of erasing the things that seem incovenient to your argument.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1