By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - SMACH Z. A Nintendo Switch with(out) Nintendo games?

What do you think about the Smach Z?

Great Concept 18 17.31%

Its okay. 21 20.19%

Its shit. 26 25.00%

Its Garbage, the Switch w... 28 26.92%

Results 11 10.58%

Total:104

The thing with this console is that you buy it owning all the games you already own on steam for it... So in my case it would be 363 games :) i find it a much better deal than switch.

Around the Network
Nautilus said:
The main differences betwenn those two hardwares and the constant accusation of "hipocrisy" throw around in the thread is really resumed to some key points:

1)Its Nintendo.When Nintendo is involved with something, you know you are getting quality out of it.It may not be the best system evar, with the most powerful nuclear reactor powered CPU, but you know you are getting a high quality product, with garanteed support for a good while.

2)Nintendo games over zero exclusives from that machine.This point is self explanatory.

3)Wether you like to admit or not, the Seitch will have a much better optimization for its games than this ones does.The same way that PS4 and XOne games are optimized and are able to run games better than a PC with the equivalent power as those systems.

4)Price.Switch is 50 dollars cheaper, comes with (probably) better controllers with (probably) more functions, and in the end, either due to better optimization and/or more overall power, games will run much better on it.

5)This one is early to say, but the Switch may have not only offer more functions, but also do more and better than this system you presented.( more apps, more functionalities, integration with Miiverse in a interesting way, etc)

6)Its Nintendo.The same way that the name Apple alone goes a long way to sell its products, so does Nintendo.And Sony.And Microsoft.And Disney.And so on.

Yes I do agree, thats basically the advantages the switch will have. I even have 1 more advantage:

7. It will still get new modern games.

But I also see advantages in the Smach Z:

1. The library will be way bigger. The "launch lineup" will be phenomenal. Full Third party support and much more.

2. Most of that games are giant AAA games that are 5-10 bucks on steam.

Thats basically already a HUGE advantage to be honest.

Also: This is just a first gen device. Its possible we will see updated versions of this in 2018. Maybe hitting ps4 performance and allow full compatibility with all 8th gen games. The switch will always have the same hardware

I dont have any problems with people liking the switch more, but people that say this is shit but buy a switch are obviously lying to themselfs. The concepts are very, very similar.

Uabit said:
The thing with this console is that you buy it owning all the games you already own on steam for it... So in my case it would be 363 games :) i find it a much better deal than switch.

Oh, that's an excellent point.

omgfk said:
Miyamotoo said:
This is 1st time I hear about this, and most likely last time..

So as far as I know you very excited about the switch, made tons of topic and will probl buy it very soon. Im right? Can you explain why your THAT interested in the switch but not a little bit interested in that unit? In my opinion both devices are very similar so it doesnt make sense for me, maybe you can help me...

Iam exatied about new Nintendo platform offcourse.Because of Nintendo and Nintendo game on 1st place of course, second, Switch is gaming console and it will have tons of games and huge number of exclusive games, while this basically Mini PC that will run just multiplatforms.

This basically like you asking me, why I would buy PS4 instead of Steam Machine, this is basically Steam Machine compared to PS4, doesn't really has anything with real console gaming.

Miyamotoo said:

Iam exatied about new Nintendo platform offcourse.Because of Nintendo and Nintendo game on 1st place of course, second, Switch is gaming console and it will have tons of games and huge number of exclusive games, while this basically Mini PC that will run just multiplatforms.

This basically like you asking me, why I would buy PS4 instead of Steam Machine, this is basically Steam Machine compared to PS4, doesn't really has anything with real console gaming.

So you dont like the specific "hardware idea" behind the switch but the nintendo games? So the switch is basically as good as the wii u for you (both play nintendo games). Got it.

Shouldnt forget that PC palttform also has exlcusive games (that you can play on other pcs as well off course). Examples: Starcraft 2, Age of Empires, Guild Wars 2, World of Warcraft, Arma 3, Gothic, Black and White, League of Legends, Pokemon Uranium, Civilisation 6, Total War and many more...

Around the Network
omgfk said:
Nautilus said:
The main differences betwenn those two hardwares and the constant accusation of "hipocrisy" throw around in the thread is really resumed to some key points:

1)Its Nintendo.When Nintendo is involved with something, you know you are getting quality out of it.It may not be the best system evar, with the most powerful nuclear reactor powered CPU, but you know you are getting a high quality product, with garanteed support for a good while.

2)Nintendo games over zero exclusives from that machine.This point is self explanatory.

3)Wether you like to admit or not, the Seitch will have a much better optimization for its games than this ones does.The same way that PS4 and XOne games are optimized and are able to run games better than a PC with the equivalent power as those systems.

4)Price.Switch is 50 dollars cheaper, comes with (probably) better controllers with (probably) more functions, and in the end, either due to better optimization and/or more overall power, games will run much better on it.

5)This one is early to say, but the Switch may have not only offer more functions, but also do more and better than this system you presented.( more apps, more functionalities, integration with Miiverse in a interesting way, etc)

6)Its Nintendo.The same way that the name Apple alone goes a long way to sell its products, so does Nintendo.And Sony.And Microsoft.And Disney.And so on.

Yes I do agree, thats basically the advantages the switch will have. I even have 1 more advantage:

7. It will still get new modern games.

But I also see advantages in the Smach Z:

1. The library will be way bigger. The "launch lineup" will be phenomenal. Full Third party support and much more.

2. Most of that games are giant AAA games that are 5-10 bucks on steam.

Thats basically already a HUGE advantage to be honest.

Also: This is just a first gen device. Its possible we will see updated versions of this in 2018. Maybe hitting ps4 performance and allow full compatibility with all 8th gen games. The switch will always have the same hardware

I dont have any problems with people liking the switch more, but people that say this is shit but buy a switch are obviously lying to themselfs. The concepts are very, very similar.

That last point is actually a negatibe in my opinion.The potential costumer for the device is one that will likely want it to last at least 4 years.If there is already a revision of the hardware in one year, people will back off from it, because it could mean alot of things:support dropping from the earlier itinerations, games running real bad in the earlier revisions, be forced to buy yet another hardware just to keep up with things.Console gamers in general likes the convinience that Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo gives with their hardware, and the itineration concept is not one of them.

And I dont think there is any problem in calling this shit andpretending to buy the Switch.While there is alot that will be announced that could make the Switch even more unique, the two of them arent that different.But the issue lies in the points i have made:they create an abysm of, lets say, desirebility betwenn them.I personally, have zero interest in this device but I am very excited for the Switch.I wouldnt go as far as to say this is shit, but for me it is simply a bad product, for what it is offering and for the price.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Nautilus said:

That last point is actually a negatibe in my opinion.The potential costumer for the device is one that will likely want it to last at least 4 years.If there is already a revision of the hardware in one year, people will back off from it, because it could mean alot of things:support dropping from the earlier itinerations, games running real bad in the earlier revisions, be forced to buy yet another hardware just to keep up with things.Console gamers in general likes the convinience that Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo gives with their hardware, and the itineration concept is not one of them.

And I dont think there is any problem in calling this shit andpretending to buy the Switch.While there is alot that will be announced that could make the Switch even more unique, the two of them arent that different.But the issue lies in the points i have made:they create an abysm of, lets say, desirebility betwenn them.I personally, have zero interest in this device but I am very excited for the Switch.I wouldnt go as far as to say this is shit, but for me it is simply a bad product, for what it is offering and for the price.

so beeing able to play thousands of pc games, basically all Wii, Gamecube, Ps2, n64, Ps1 etc games on the go sounds bad for you?

If this concept sounds bad/not interesting to you but you like the switch because of the nintendo games, you could basically get a wii u. It has the nintendo games as well. The wii u sold horrible though, so I doubt the nintendo games alone will make people buying the switch instead of the Smach (especially if the smach will get alot more popular)

Also: This is basically a pc. especially if the switch is a success, you can be very sure even other companies (alienware, asus, acer,...) will release similar products to this as well in 2017/2018. Its almost a given. The hardware nowadays is capable of doing something like this (switch/smachZ), so it will be done if there is a market interested in console like mobile gaming (basically the switchs main feature).

the convenience of how streamlined and simple the Switch is the #1 attraction for consumers, not just that its a top of of the line handheld portable console. I doubt the Smach is going to be as simple to plug into the TV and translate from mobile gaming to home gaming as the Switch.

The Switch dock and overall design seems extremely clever.

I don't think the Smach has been used by enough people or thoroughly enough reviewed at this point for anyone to make huge opinions about its build quality, design, battery life- etc. The reality is a little known device like that is not going to go under the scrutiny that a Nintendo device does

and there comes the biggest strength of big N devices- they're generally designed extremely well. Great interface, run well, they don't tend to break.

also the reality is while its cool having a portable PC- the reality is the Smach itself is not unique at all. There are tons of tablet type devices attempting to do what it does. Also the reality is something like the Smach will have ZERO exclusives. ZERo.

people can deny it all they want, but Nintendo's handhelds in the past have a lot of exclusive third party support from the likes of Capcom and others. And the reality is the biggest selling point of any Nintendo's hardware is generally its own IP. People want to play Mario. Zelda. Pokemon.

something like the Smach will not be as polished and it won't have any driving brands of NEW games that people want to play.

As others have mentioned- there are plenty of jailbroken PS Vitas and things that can have downloaded libraries of the majority of games from the past. Make note, Nintendo could release a portable/home hybrid with the best specs on the planet but if it didn't have new Mario/Zelda/Pokemon releases from them then nobody would care

I think fundamentally something like the 3DS and its relative success proves that people give a LOT more shit about the games themselves than the specs. You can only make a small screen look so pretty

mountaindewslave said:

And the reality is the biggest selling point of any Nintendo's hardware is generally its own IP. People want to play Mario. Zelda. Pokemon.

Make note, Nintendo could release a portable/home hybrid with the best specs on the planet but if it didn't have new Mario/Zelda/Pokemon releases from them then nobody would care

The Wii U had Mario Zelda and Pokemon. It sold 13 Mio Units WW.

The Ps4 doesnt have Mario Zelda and Pokemon. It sold 45 Mio Units so far.

Also I dont think the Smach should be seen as "1 single device". its basically a pc. Other will come. Similar to PC - Ps4/Xbox One. If the switch is a success, Acer, Alienware, Asus will release similar devices. Then the switch might get problems. We will see.

omgfk said:
[...]

So you do think the complete Gamecube, n64, SNES and NES library will be inferior to the switch library?

Not to mention basically ALL 7th gen PC games and any older game (ps2, Gamecube, N64).

I'm not comparing the library of the Switch to anything. All I know is that I want to play new Nintendo games, so I won't get around the hardware. 

Look, this may be a nice concept, but it really isn't for me. I'm not going to carry the Switch around a whole lot while outside. When I leave the house, I will still use my Vita or PSP Go, because this beast here as well as the Switch are way way too big and clunky for my taste. What I like about the Switch is that I can use it everywhere at my home, be it in the bedroom or in the living room while my wife watches TV or something. Ok, now you might say, hey, this mighty device gives you the chance to do just that with PC gaming, yai? Well, no. As I said, the Vita got me covered. I can also stream PC games to the Vita thanks to Moonlight and Henkaku, all good, get that Xbox One Bluetooth Controller and I'm ready to go. Or, if I want a bigger screen, I'll just use my laptop, which is way way way more powerful than this device. Or, if I want to get away from everything, I'll use my Gear VR and stream Steam games on it with, again, Moonlight.

So the thing in all essence is, I already have so many damn options to play the way I want to, I don't need any more. This thing just brings nothing new to the table that I don't already have. Period. The same is true for the Switch, in all honesty. But Nintendo brings dem games and Nintendo does it like nobody else does.

But that's still not everything. I play a lot on PC. I know PC gaming pretty damn well and I also know the problems that come with it. Sure, many times everything runs just fine, but there are always times when something isn't working quite as it should. Just some weeks ago, my wife got real mad at me, because the Sims 3 didn't work for no apparent reason. I had to hit "repair" on Origin and had to download 6.5 GB of data to be able to play. Good luck doing that on the go. And that is just one of many examples. I am 100 % sure that I won't run into such problems with the Switch. No windows updates, no new graphics drivers, no mandatory game updates (sorry, dude, your Steam game is updating, you can't play it until it's done, kthxbye!), nothing. The Switch will work flawlessly even when it's completely offline. A windows 10 gaming PC? Not so much...

Furthermore, the controllers aren't detachable. So no Multiplayer fun on the go. Sure, I could always take a second Xbox Controller with me. Like that thing itself isn't big enough, right? 

But in all essence, I can't play anything new on this piece. I already have a beefy PC that will pump out way better graphics. Hell, my notebook runs circles around this thing. So what's the point? When I got the Vita, I got to play Uncharted: Golden Abyss, Persona 4 Golden, Gravity Rush and many more titles. When I got the 3DS, I was ready for Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Puzzle & Dragons, Xenoblade Chronicles, Ocarina of Time 3D any many more. When I get the Switch, I will be able to play the new Zelda and Mario and whatever the hell Nintendo decides to throw at this thing. When I buy a Smach, I will be able to play... uh... all the games I am already able to play? Yai?

But I'll tell you what. I'll get Skyrim for Switch. Just to get on your nerves a little more. Heh he. He. xP

Seriously though, I get you like the thing and all and that's cool. But it's not for everybody. It's actually a device for a pretty small group of people. I just don't see the need for such devices in this day and age anymore. Back in the days, there was all the rage about pandora. "Yai, I have a PC on the go, oh my gawd, this can do everything!". That was cool and all, because it really was something new and unique... in 2001. Today we have the PSP, the Vita, and Smartphones which got you coveres for small games, homebrew and emulators on the go. This thing isn't a revolution anymore, it's just on of many similar devices, even if it might be somewhat different by running Windows 10, but whatever. It's also way too expensive. I'll get TWO Switches for that price.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.