By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony seems to not care about sales anymore.

foodfather said:
Obviously thought the slim/pro/vr combo would do better than it did.

There are some good bundles in the UK. Better deals than the XO in fact.

at least the vr is basically still sold out in most countries on most retailers.

Around the Network

Sony seem content to be #1 home console and make nice profits. Selling way more than competitors and far better than last generation. I'd say they're okay losing some sales to hold value on their systems and maintain profit margins.

Looks like Sony isn't really trying in the US. Not that they need to I guess? UK is apparently more important territory for them, or perhaps just more threatened by the competition. Maybe Sony just figures US retailers do enough 'holiday bundle' stuff on their own they don't need to do pack-ins.

Sony is out of fat to burn. They rather get the profits of decent sales than to get into debt for the sake of market share. They are already in a unchangeable lead, so, why bother?
I say: make profits now to ensure a healthy future. Let the people losing burn their fat to catch up.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

Don't care about sales? Microsoft and Sony have two different philosophies in the market. Sony wants to make money from their machine. They're in this to gain some sort of profit in a company that's been bleeding money for years. Sony already had woes last gen selling the PS3 way under cost, they don't want a repeat of that. Sony doesn't react to Microsoft like MS reacts to them all the time. It wouldn't be a profitable venture anymore.

MS on the other hand, no longer sees profit with gaming. They're gone full warchest for little gain and the one thing that's got the system moving a little better now... is adding a non-gaming element to their console. MS is in the console game to hopefully outspend their competition and tire them out. If they can't get ahead, then the idea is to spoil the market until no one else can gain from it either. From there, they can pick up the ashes. MS wants the remainder of a shrinking console market pretty badly for some reason.

MS is in a better position to give away the house. Why do they do it? To save face? Pride? Whatever the reason , their customers are seeing the benefits of it. Whether it's good for the rest of the industry or not. Only time will tell. But Sony and Nintendo don't seem as eager to unplug the drain financially to battle them.

Around the Network

They gave up on the NA market because they know they have no chance against a 4k Bluray player there.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

I wouldn't say they don't care, but it's certainly true that the US is much more important to MS than to Sony (or us, for that matter). Still, it must be said that until the election, the yen had been very high against the dollar, hovering around the 103 mark, which means that Sony will get less money from every console sold, which likely helped lead them in the direction of profit. After the election, the yen has popped back up to 110, so if it stays that way and Xbox continues to gain, things might change. 

There's only so much supply of these new models. They probably felt they had more to gain packing them with first party titles than giving Activision a percentage. I doubt they'll have trouble moving them this holiday regardless.

They already won and now concentrate on making a lot of money which is, considering the last years, of course more of a priority than satisfying their fanbase with high sales numbers.

We dont really know, maybe Watchdogs and Cod arent good games to make a bundle. There is a lot of compettion from Titanfall and B1 this holydays so why making a bundle for one particular third party game?