By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - If Zelda:BotW delay is going to happen, Wii U version will be cancelled.

curl-6 said:
At this point, I think it's most likely the Wii U version will never see release.
And if so, I'm done with Nintendo forever.

This.

However I still think a Wii U version will come out but will it be a gimped version of the Switch version?

I'm cool with the multi-plat thing. I bought Twilight Princess on GameCube and still prefer it but in that case the 2 versions were basically the same.

If Wii U owners are meant to swallow an inferior version I will fly to Kyoto and fire bomb the mutherfucker... 

Around the Network
Kai_Mao said:
curl-6 said:

That's no excuse.

Nintendo have been developing in HD for over 5 years now, while XCX, a first party HD open world title, came out back in April 2015, and its makers are working on BotW.

You don't get to pull the "open world in HD is hard" card in 2016. That would be like complaining in 2006 that 3D polygon games are hard to make.

This is technically EAD 3's (though all the Nintendo dev teams have now merged since late 2015 to become EPD) first big project for Wii U outside Wind Waker HD. I'm not saying it's hard, it just takes longer, longer than making 3D polygons based on how tech is these days. I'm no expert on tech but I would think trying to create these games at such a scale are no cake walk. It took Rockstar North five years between GTA IV and V, Rockstar San Diego presumably seven years between RDD and RDD2, five years from Oblivion to Skyrim, and seven years from Fallout 3 to 4. The only possible exception is CD Projekt Red with the Witcher games being about 4 years apart (though 2, which I've played a little, is a little more self contained compared to 3 from what I heard). If a quality open world in HD is that easy, most devs should be able to do that then within 3-4 years by now and with little hiccups.

Nintendo's internal teams share tools and technology though, so the Zelda team would benefit from all the progress made by other internal teams in HD development over the last 5 years. This can be seen in the graphical improvement in first party titles over Wii U's life, across numerous different teams. For example, even though they were made by different teams, Mario Kart 8 looks better than 3D World, which looks better than Pikmin 3.

Also, Monolith are co-developing Breath of the Wild, and they've already made a HD open world Wii U title.

4 years to make Breath of the Wild, the same timeframe as Witcher 3, would have been acceptable. Even 5 would have been excusable given the ambition of the project. But it they can't get it out in March 2017 in time for Switch's launch, that's some seriously bad management.

Just to remember all the lies regardling BotW:

1. Game is going to be released in 2015. For sure guys, go buy the console.

2. Lol. We delay it. No new date. We found something great, aka NX, but you believe those are great new mechanics! (months later) Guys, this time for sure in 2016. Meanwhile go buy this remaster.

3. Lol. Aren't we funny? 2017 it is. And an NX version to release simultaneously. That's great (for us...). A delayed game is eventually blah blah blah... You know the rest.

4. RUMOR: lol. Simultaneos release? Go buy Switch first! Aren't we the best consumer friendly company? We care about you, friends.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Doubt it, they have no reason to cancel it. The Wii U version is basically done and the version they've been showing so far. The Switch version will sell more, but still not a reason to abandon a port of the game that is still guaranteed to sell a decent chunk of copies.

curl-6 said:
Kai_Mao said:

This is technically EAD 3's (though all the Nintendo dev teams have now merged since late 2015 to become EPD) first big project for Wii U outside Wind Waker HD. I'm not saying it's hard, it just takes longer, longer than making 3D polygons based on how tech is these days. I'm no expert on tech but I would think trying to create these games at such a scale are no cake walk. It took Rockstar North five years between GTA IV and V, Rockstar San Diego presumably seven years between RDD and RDD2, five years from Oblivion to Skyrim, and seven years from Fallout 3 to 4. The only possible exception is CD Projekt Red with the Witcher games being about 4 years apart (though 2, which I've played a little, is a little more self contained compared to 3 from what I heard). If a quality open world in HD is that easy, most devs should be able to do that then within 3-4 years by now and with little hiccups.

Nintendo's internal teams share tools and technology though, so the Zelda team would benefit from all the progress made by other internal teams in HD development over the last 5 years. This can be seen in the graphical improvement in first party titles over Wii U's life, across numerous different teams. For example, even though they were made by different teams, Mario Kart 8 looks better than 3D World, which looks better than Pikmin 3.

Also, Monolith are co-developing Breath of the Wild, and they've already made a HD open world Wii U title.

4 years to make Breath of the Wild, the same timeframe as Witcher 3, would have been acceptable. Even 5 would have been excusable given the ambition of the project. But it they can't get it out in March 2017 in time for Switch's launch, that's some seriously bad management.

They never said it would launch in March which is something I think some are misunderstanding. They've placed the year 2017 as their release year but didn't specify a month.

Around the Network
Kai_Mao said:
curl-6 said:

They never said it would launch in March which is something I think some are misunderstanding. They've placed the year 2017 as their release year but didn't specify a month.

Curl is pointing at the long dev time as there's no excuse other than incompetence to not been able to release the game at least on launch timeframe.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

HyrulianScrolls said:
JEMC said:

Well, I guess I'm part of that >5%, because I own a Wii U but I currently have no plans to get a Switch.

But of course, I'm not a Nintendo fan, I just play their games.

I'm not saying you're not a Nintendo fan if you don't want the Switch, I'm just saying I can't imagine why a Nintendo fan wouldn't want the Switch if all we've heard is true. It sounds afforadble, the concept of having both the handheld and home console together is fantastic, and there already sounds like there will be a plethora of worthwhile games out of the gate. Basically not wanting a Switch is just plain not wanting to play Nintendo games anymore, since this is their one and only platform going forward and it's not outrageously unaffordable. 

Because everything said about the switch. Was mirrored with the Wii U. Simple as that. I won't buy a switch, intill the system proves it won't be a flop. I wait for that. In till than, not buying it. My Wii U was a an annoying waste of money. And canceling BOTW isn't gonna make me want a Switch. It would make me ignore Nintendo more.

Who in their right mind would cancel the Wii U version? It is basically the version on which the game was built, shown and hyped about. It just doesn't make sense to alienate all those who waited for the game.

On the other hand, they could force people to migrate to Switch or buy the Switch by making the game exclusive on it. But then again, the same logic could have been applied to Twilight Princess.

I might say the lack of information is making everyone go cray-cray over Zelda, the Switch and the launch line-up.

I still think it'll get a simultaneous release, but the Wii U version will be obviously gimped as compared to say the GC / Wii versions of Twilight Princess, where both games were basically identical save for mirrored Link and motion controls in the Wii U version.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Pavolink said:
Just to remember all the lies regardling BotW:

1. Game is going to be released in 2015. For sure guys, go buy the console.

2. Lol. We delay it. No new date. We found something great, aka NX, but you believe those are great new mechanics! (months later) Guys, this time for sure in 2016. Meanwhile go buy this remaster.

3. Lol. Aren't we funny? 2017 it is. And an NX version to release simultaneously. That's great (for us...). A delayed game is eventually blah blah blah... You know the rest.

4. RUMOR: lol. Simultaneos release? Go buy Switch first! Aren't we the best consumer friendly company? We care about you, friends.

Pretty much. It's been one ongoing barrage of bullshit for over two years now.

NightDragon83 said:
I still think it'll get a simultaneous release, but the Wii U version will be obviously gimped as compared to say the GC / Wii versions of Twilight Princess, where both games were basically identical save for mirrored Link and motion controls in the Wii U version.

And the Wii version supporting widescreen while Gamecube inexplicably didn't.

Kai_Mao said:
curl-6 said:

I never said they promised a March release, I said that if they can't get it out by then (nearly a year and a half after it was originally supposed to release) that speaks of gross mismanagement. Competently run studios simply don't miss their deadlines by such an enormous margin.