By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Bungie Opens Up About Halo 2 Hurdles

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=9778&Itemid=59

By Kris Graft

"Halo 2 wasn't a very efficiently developed game, and we wasted a lot of time up front," Halo 3 cinematic director CJ Cowan has told Next-Gen. Speaking in an interview published Monday, Cowan admitted that disorganization reigned during certain parts of Halo 2's development, as Bungie tried to create a blockbuster game while simultaneously coping with exploding studio growth.

“On Halo 2 we had no idea what our schedule was like or if we were on schedule or how far behind schedule we were," he said. "...Up until Halo 3’s pre-production we were still in the mindset of guys in a basement trying to make games even though we’d ballooned to like 60 or 70 dudes. We still had that idea that ‘hey we can make this work,' but it just wasn’t realistic anymore."

Today, Bungie lays claim to around 115 employees, including 14 full-time producers, compared to the single dedicated producer during Halo 2's development.

Once Halo 3 development began to wrap up, Bungie seemed to have everything sorted out.

“Halo 3 had a really defined pre-production stage, so the whole team had a confident, shared vision of what the game was going to be before the real work even started. It sounds like common sense but Bungie didn’t used to work that way. We used to be ‘seat of your pants just make it happen.'

“Halo 3 was a much easier game to make in terms of the stress level and crunch. The team still worked their asses off but it wasn’t that 18 months of dread and ‘Oh my god, are we ever going to get this game done?' I just don’t think we ever hit that stage.”

For more from Cowan about development of the Halo franchise, read the Next-Gen interview, What Bungie Did Next.

Around the Network

...I liked Halo 2 better than Halo 3...maybe they should have gone through that stress stage?

Yes alot of hurdles indeed. I however think that Halo 2 was not as good as Halo and Halo 3 was not as good as 2. Maybe all those extra staff were more of a hindrance.

Manchester United 2008-09 Season - Trophies & Records

Barclays Premier League 2008-09: 1st // UEFA Champions League 2008-09: Finals (Yet To Play) // FIFA Club World Cup: Winners // UEFA Super Cup: Runners-up // FA Cup: Semi-Finals // League (Carling) Cup: Winners // FA (Charity) Community Shield: Winners
Records: First British Team To Win FIFA Club World Cup, New Record for No. Of Consecutive Clean Sheets In Premier League, New English & British League Records for Minutes Without Conceding, New Record For Going Undeafeated In Champions League (25 games ongoing), First British Team To Beat FC Porto In Portugal, First Club To Defeat Arsenal At The Emirates In European Competition, First Team In English League Football History To Win 3 Titles Back To Back On Two Seperate Ocassions

Why does a company that basically puts out one game at a time and downloadable content in between have so many producers?

Legend11 said:
Why does a company that basically puts out one game at a time and downloadable content in between have so many producers?

Yeah, it seems pretty strange. Do they ever do any PC things? Or perhaps help other teams?

Around the Network

Nevertheless it is my favorite Halo.

Tempus fugit Nintendo manet.

Level 1 - Newbie
Level 2 - Member - Pass 1k
Level 3 - Regular - Pass 2k
Level 4 - Addicted - Pass 5k
Level 5 - Obsessed - Pass 10k
Level 6 - Old Guard - Pass 20k
Level 7 - Legend - Pass 50k
Level 8 - Demi-God - Pass 100k
Level 9 - God - Pass 250k
Level 10 - Zeus - Pass 500k

New Table:

Level 1 - Newbie
Level 2 - Rookie - Pass 1k
Level 3 - Padawan - Pass 10k
Level 4 - Sea Dog - Pass 25k
Level 5 - Captain - Pass 50k
Level 6 - Agent - Pass 100k
Level 7 - Elite - Pass 175k
Level 8 - Hero - Pass 250k
Level 9 - Legend - Pass 500k
Level 10 - Titan - Pass 1 Million

H3>H1>>>H2

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

I still prefer good old Halo 1

Snesboy said:
I still prefer good old Halo 1

halo 1 is kind of a seperate series from halo 2 & 3. if you wanted to say, halo 2 and 3 were "tacked on" halo 1 is one of the best single player fps's, but there with COD 1.

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

Don't forget Half Life 2