By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - ‘Ben-Hur’ Leads to $48 Million Write-Down at MGM - the end of Religious epics?

WagnerPaiva said:
Remaking Ben-Hur is like remaking the Godfather.
They should never remake that classic, or Planet of the Apes, or Gone with the Wind, or any movie that was perfect already as it was.
I am the crazy fundamentalist christian from the site and had no interest in watching the remake, although I watched the original a bunch of times.
Religious movies should be independent and original anyways, any shadow of the gospel message gets lost when modern Hollywood put his disgusting witchcraft pedophile claws in it.

Actually, the Planet of the Apes reboot is amazing, but that is because they did something actually clever and COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. I'm really looking forward to the 3rd one of those.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network
Darwinianevolution said:
WagnerPaiva said:
Remaking Ben-Hur is like remaking the Godfather.
They should never remake that classic, or Planet of the Apes, or Gone with the Wind, or any movie that was perfect already as it was.
I am the crazy fundamentalist christian from the site and had no interest in watching the remake, although I watched the original a bunch of times.
Religious movies should be independent and original anyways, any shadow of the gospel message gets lost when modern Hollywood put his disgusting witchcraft pedophile claws in it.

Actually, the Planet of the Apes reboot is amazing, but that is because they did something actually clever and COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. I'm really looking forward to the 3rd one of those.

The reboot is cool cause it is not a remake. The remake from Burton is kinda silly. 

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

shikamaru317 said:
SubiyaCryolite said:
More The Prince of Egypt, less Exodus and Ben-Hur.

Yeah, Prince of Egypt was really well done. I also thought Passion of the Christ was really well done. 

You really should watch RISEN. It follows a roman soldier searching for Jesus´ corpse. it is like CSI Jerusalem.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

Terrible movie with terrible acting. Deserved to flop.

I don't remember it being a catholic or christian movie, just remember it being a "historical" movie

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

The end of religious epics? Probably not. The end of remaking classics? I hope so.

CaptainExplosion2 said:
The end of religious epics? Probably not. The end of remaking classics? I hope so.

I hope the same, we need to not have crappy remakes. The concept of remake should only be reserved for something that was done poorly and they believe they could correct it.

Acevil said:
CaptainExplosion2 said:

I hope the same, we need to not have crappy remakes. The concept of remake should only be reserved for something that was done poorly and they believe they could correct it.

This. It's not like we lack bad movies througout the years to remake...

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

I didn't even know there was a remake. I first thought, why post news about a 67 year old movie!
The original looks fantastic on blu-ray btw, still great to watch, religious or not.

Hands of Lawrence of Arabia, another awesome classic. Oh ffs they already did http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1837636/

KLXVER said:
spurgeonryan said:

MGM.

Its like remaking The Godfather. Nobody wants to see that.

Worse, in this case is the remake of a remake.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0016641/?ref_=fn_al_tt_9