By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - ‘Ben-Hur’ Leads to $48 Million Write-Down at MGM - the end of Religious epics?

Who on earth thought it would be a good idea to remake Ben-Hur?

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:
KLXVER said:
Who on earth thought it would be a good idea to remake Ben-Hur?

MGM.

Its like remaking The Godfather. Nobody wants to see that.

Hopefully the next dumb remakes continue to bomb so the practice ends.

Never really watched the original Ben-Hur, so this was a religious movie?

Turkish said:
Hopefully the next dumb remakes continue to bomb so the practice ends.

That would be great for games aswell

REQUIESCAT IN PACE

I Hate REMASTERS

I Hate PLAYSTATION PLUS

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:
V-r0cK said:
Never really watched the original Ben-Hur, so this was a religious movie?

Like a gladiator or something that had to fight Christians in the ring or something? I could be wrong though, will change title if am. Will change to Epic.

I was just curious, I know nothing of the films except it has some gladiator horse race xD

More The Prince of Egypt, less Exodus and Ben-Hur.

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

Remaking Ben-Hur is like remaking the Godfather.
They should never remake that classic, or Planet of the Apes, or Gone with the Wind, or any movie that was perfect already as it was.
I am the crazy fundamentalist christian from the site and had no interest in watching the remake, although I watched the original a bunch of times.
Religious movies should be independent and original anyways, any shadow of the gospel message gets lost when modern Hollywood put his disgusting witchcraft pedophile claws in it.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

SubiyaCryolite said:
More The Prince of Egypt, less Exodus and Ben-Hur.

Amem to that. As far as I concerned they could do every single Bible book in a animated musical form if they had the Prince of Egypt quality to it.

Exodua and Noah where bad taste jokes. RISEN was amazing though.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

I still find the notion that someone thought this was a movie that needed a remake amazing. They can't possibly make the original better, and there was noone clamouring to see it again. Literally NOONE asked for this. So why do it??

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.