By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Discussion Thread: The Greatest Games Event 2016 - Finish Your Lists!!

Darashiva said:

#3 Freespace 2

Freespace 2 is a masterpiece, plain and simple. It's the best game in its genre, even 17 years after its original release in 1999. Not a single other game of its kind has ever featured such masterful mission structuring, where events often unfold in surprising, yet always logical ways. The gameplay has a lot of depth, while being simple enough to learn that everyone can easily play the game. The fact that there is a strong community still surrounding the game speaks volumes about its quality. Fans have kept Freespace 2 alive for nearly two decades, updating its graphics and even creating their own games based on its engine. Freespace 2 is such a great game in my opinion that it will likely never fall out of my top three. 

Hint for my #2: 

A JRPG that has attained cult status over the years since its release. Many fans, including me, still hope that someday it will get a sequel on a modern console. There's at least one person here who knows exactly what game I am talking about.

The Legend of Dragoon!!!!!

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
Darashiva said:

#3 Freespace 2

Freespace 2 is a masterpiece, plain and simple. It's the best game in its genre, even 17 years after its original release in 1999. Not a single other game of its kind has ever featured such masterful mission structuring, where events often unfold in surprising, yet always logical ways. The gameplay has a lot of depth, while being simple enough to learn that everyone can easily play the game. The fact that there is a strong community still surrounding the game speaks volumes about its quality. Fans have kept Freespace 2 alive for nearly two decades, updating its graphics and even creating their own games based on its engine. Freespace 2 is such a great game in my opinion that it will likely never fall out of my top three. 

Hint for my #2: 

A JRPG that has attained cult status over the years since its release. Many fans, including me, still hope that someday it will get a sequel on a modern console. There's at least one person here who knows exactly what game I am talking about.

I so wanted to ninja you on that one!

Signature goes here!

TruckOSaurus said:
BraLoD said:

I so wanted to ninja you on that one!

Why, you monster D:

#4 - Pikmin 3

The Pikmin series has my favourite gameplay style in all of gaming. Not combat, shooting or turn-based strategy, it's a microtasks management adventure. I've only played 3 (freaking $30 CAD for Wii games), but I fell in love with it very quickly.

You take control of 3 characters, which talk in gibberish and have quick and funny dialogues, in order to save your home planet from starving, because they used all their resources. Silly game. So you go to another planet to harvest seeds from as many fruits as possible, with the very convenient help of an army of alien vegetables.

13 minutes per day, you have to progress as much as possible every day. Collect food, grow Pikmin population, and explore the world. There are multiple Pikmin types and 3 captains, plus automatic movement from the gamepad, which if used correctly allow you to be really efficient and multitask each captain with different tasks.

The new Pikmin types are a great addition to the series, Rock and Flying. And while this is a very subjective complaint, since technically is not true, I think the game is too short. Ok, so I finished it in 10 hours, not bad. But the problem lies in that as soon as you get the Blue Pikmins, you are ready to finish the game. Now, you could argue you still have to collect a lot of fruit from other regions, but I still think that they should have added a 5th region, where all Pikmin types have to be used between each other and have just a few more fruits.

The length itself isn't the problem. It's the fact that there was potential left from using all Pikmin together. Another reason why I have this complaint is because all Pikmin games have the same amount of areas: 4, each representing a region (+ a final, almost irrelevant one). Since they will always want to follow this tradition, it will feel like every game could have had more content. That's my one complaint from Pikmin 3.

But besides that, it's a beautiful game. Awesome controls and use of gamepad. Great visuals and soundtrack, and phenomenal gameplay. This is also a great game to replay, since you can finish it very quickly, which in turn makes it a cool game to try to speedrun. 

There are also side modes, Bingo and Mission Mode. Didn't care about Bingo. Mission Mode, on the other hand, is awesome. It's practically a mini-Pikmin 2: collect as much treasure as possible. The best part is the Co-op mode, which is something I want in the campaign for Pikmin 4. Be it Online or Offline, Pikmin benefits a lot from Co-op.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Hint #3 - After one of the best intro sequences of all time, "The Galaxy is at peace."

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

Around the Network
Slarvax said:

Hint #3 - After one of the best intro sequences of all time, "The Galaxy is at peace."

Super Metroid

Signature goes here!

#3 - Throughout the game, your sole goal is to retrieve the baby (who is the last of its species), but the ending is not as you'd expect.

I make music, check it out here on Bandcamp, Spotify, and Youtube!
my top 50 games

mZuzek said:
#3 - Throughout the game, your sole goal is to retrieve the baby (who is the last of its species), but the ending is not as you'd expect.

My guy

mZuzek said:

Super Metroid.

Signature goes here!

BraLoD said:
Darashiva said:

#3 Freespace 2

Hint for my #2: 

Exactly who I thought would answer this one.