By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Discussion Thread: The Greatest Games Event 2016 - Finish Your Lists!!

#4 Baten Kaitos Origins

The prequel to the original Baten Kaitos and one that pretty much fixes any problem that the original may have had, with its unique and challenging card based battle system and uses in the overall gameplay, great dungeon design with some neat puzzles here and there, great story and characters (Guillo best waifu) that perfectly ties in with the original, making it one grand epic story. Is one of the best RPGs I have ever played and one of the best "sequels". 

Forgot to mention, the beautiful art direction.

Around the Network

#4 Dark Souls

The best game of the previous console generation in my opinion. Dark Souls was a game that took me quite a lot of time to truly understand its greatness. I started the game once when I first got and played maybe around 7 hours before stopping and never continuing that playthrough. I just didn't get the game at the time. Then last year I decided to give it one more chance, and something just clicked with the game. I finally saw what made the game so popular among its fans, and as you can see it's now one of the best games of all time as far as I'm concerned. The world is beautifully bleak, the gameplay is challenging but fair, and the lore, once it opens up to you, is awesome to delve into. Just a pure masterpiece in my eyes. 

Hint for my #3:

The best space combat sim of all time. The second game in the series, ends on a cliffhanger that has sadly never been resolved.

#5 - Metroid: Zero Mission

During my childhood, this was probably my most played game. A fantastic remake, feels like a completely new game. It follows the usual Metroid formula: atmosphere, platforming, exploration. And while I don't think it's the best in any aspect (except for maybe exploration), it still has some magic in it.

At the time, this game actually scared me. Like I've said before, lost and alone in space, while intriguing and adventurous, is terrifying. But also the Metroids and Space Pirates creeped me out.

The first half of the game is pretty simple and exciting. Classic Metroid gameplay, albeit still unpredictable. However, the second half tricks you to believe this is the best game ever. Spoilers? I don't know... Fuck it. You start off powerless. You lose your power suit and all your abilities, and you're only left with an almost useless gun. All you can do is run and hide (this is where the game is "unintentionally" scary). But after all that pittyful phase, you get all your powers and more back. You are also greated with a remixed version of one of the best songs in all of gaming. And then, when you shoot and kill the first Space Pirate without breaking a sweat; that is one of the most satisfying experiences ever.

And lastly, in my very humble opinion, this is one of the most replayable games ever. I'm not very sure why, but I always loved beating the final boss a lot or doing a full playthrough over and over again.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Hint #4 - It was originally thought this entry in this established franchise would have 4 playbale characters. It ended up with 3, but the 4th is still in the game in some way.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

#3 The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

Doesn't matter if is the original or the HD version, this is my favorite Zelda, another big part of my childhood, this was the first Zelda game to truly immerse me into every element of it, first of all, it has the best intro to any Zelda, the legendary hero theme with the pictures is all just perfect, the beautiful and colorful world, filled with fun and quirky characters, chock full with memorable moments and its heartwarming story, exploring the big sea was so much fun, even the triforce quest, felt like an explorer hunting for treasure, taking pictures and slowly filling the figurine gallery, I just love every moment of this game, and of course, what I consider the best Zelda soundtrack to date. And the HD version is just an even better version of this masterpiece.

Around the Network

12 – Golden Sun 2: The Lost Age

Golden Sun takes the blend of traditional JRPG with puzzle-filled dungeons that the first game had nailed and brings it to a huge world. This sequel doesn’t try to innovate or even expand the gameplay (as far as I remember) nor the graphic style (that is still awesome), but after playing GS2, the first game feels just like a little prologue to its sequel, thanks to the bigger  world and the story conclusion.

The game changes the player point of view by changing the party we control the beginning of the game, and the story starts with a plot twist that change radically what you believed through the first game. It also allows the party to visit new locations that we had heard about before, but never visited. It also allows the player to link the first game with the second by inserting a long code that saves the stats and equipment of your first game party (you’ll find them later in the game). Although it was something accessory, it was a great idea and allowed a nice sense of continuity between the two games.

The reason why GS2 is so many steps over GS in my list is that the ending of the first game, with the story clearly unconcluded and a great world unseen was very disappointing for me, but The Lost Age fixed that perfectly, being a great culmination to the two GBA games (Never played the DS one, though).

11- Age of Empires II

My first RTS! I’ve talked before about how when I was a teenager I and my friends used to go to cyber-cafés in order to play LAN-multiplayer PC games: AoE II was our favorite. We spent countless hours fighting and allying (and, specially, betraying) each other in its deathly medieval battles. We tried many other games, but we always ended returning to Age of Empires II: for us it always was the gold standard of RTS games.

Many years later I can still remember some of the most legendary battles we fought, like the one that my Persian elephants destroyed my best friend Teutonic knights defense or when my city was destroyed at the beginning of the match, but I was able to escape with a bunch of peasants and create a new and secret headquarter… that would end harassed in the end.

Single player was also great: I never liked a lot the campaigns (although I beat some of them), but were varied enough for anybody who wanted to play all of them, and single player Deathmatch was defying enough to play for hours. Besides, the level editor was one of the best I’ve ever seen: very easy to use and with a great range of options, that even allowed the player to create scripted events.

A four-sided battle between Chinese, Mayan (with the first expansion), Goths and Byzantines may not be historically accurate, but it  can be undeniably entertaining!

10 – Super Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins

This is the game that made me bought a Gameboy, and I remember that, as a kid, I and my friends were talking about it for months. SML2, as its predecessor, diverges a bit from the “Bros” series with a “floatier” gameplay physics, unseen power-ups and crazy settings for a Mario game. Some people dislike the game because of the first point, but I love those little differences. It’s difficulty was certainly too low (although it had two difficulty modes) but as a kid that was clearly positive for me.

Graphically the game is an impressive evolution from SML, with characters with big sprites and very rich and varied levels. The level variety is one of the biggest wins of the game, with levels sets inside a tree, a Giant Mario robot or even the Moon! I think that no other Mario has had such a great variety of environments. SML2 may not reach the 2-D platforming heaven of other entries, but is a very appealing entry, especially if you’re looking for something a bit different.

S.Peelman said:
Entropio said:

5 is very, very  close,  but the first game wasn't really popular...

3 and 2 correct.

About 1, nope. I think that many people won't consider this game the best, since at least two sequel in its franchise are objectively better (although it's a great game). it's just too early to start hinting 😉

Edit:12 should be easy looking at my list and reading the hints... 

5 I think is Europa Universalis II then, read right over that in your hint. I only played Victoria II and Hearts of Iron IV (and Cities Skylines from their other dev) of their games though. Both great, but never gotten very far into them. This series has always looked interesting to me as well, might try one of the newer releases one day.

12 is ohh, I think I see, not because I know what happens in the game, I never played it, but because of deductive reasoning lol. Golden Sun: The Lost Age?

I think I didn't answered, but both are correct

Only 9, 7 and 1 left for guessing. I'll wait until this evening for the 9th game, if it's not answered I'll have to continue.

Game #9:

Hint 1: This RTS may be too obscure, specially outside some European countries, so I'll give abundant information: It was developed by a Romanian Bulgarian (sorry, I thought it was Romanian since it included a Dacian DLC in this game) studio, that would later develop two entries in the Tropico franchise. The title of this game varies from country to country: In Spain the subtitle made reference to the Latin name of the country, in Italy to Carthage, in the UK, both to the celts and Carthage, while in the US it made reference to the Roman Empire. Those four civilizations (Iberian, Celts (or Gauls), Carthage and Romans) were playable in the game.

Hint 2: The game is set in the Punic Wars and was launched in 2003. It's the second game in its franchise, and its predecessor was set in the Gaul Wars.

Hint 3: It's an RTS, but its core mecanic depart from the usual of the genre: there's no resource gathering nor building construction, it has some RPG traits and soldiers need food to survive.

Hint 3.2: In the US, the name of this game changed drastically from its predecessor (it was similar to the UK one).

Hint 4: The developer name is Haemimont Games. This is, acording to Wikipedia, their second franchise (the first one was the RTS Tzar, that included some elements that would be further developed in this game).

Game #7:

Hint 1: Not sure if it's the longest, but this adventure is a great journey (and no, the game is not Journey).

Hint 2: Two worlds are going to collide in this Point & Click adventure: one is futuristic and tech-heavy while the other is fantastic and based on magic.

Hint 3: The game has had a sequel, but it departed from the C&P genre. It would later release a third sequel in episodic format that was partially financed via kickstarter.

Hint 4: One of the characters of this game is called Crow. He is, indeed, a crow.

Game #1:

Hint 1: I'll let you guess

Hint 2: It's a Nintendo game. Indeed, probably the "Nintendoest" game possible (and it's not an Smash Bros game).