By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Discussion Thread: The Greatest Games Event 2016 - Finish Your Lists!!

KLXVER said:

#7: Post-apocalyptic Washington D.C.

Fallout 3.

Around the Network

#6: This famous game, the second in the series, was developed by one man alone, while it's two expansions where created by a studio who made the third game, and released a spiritual successor on their own just recently.

Hint 2: Though most of the graphics and sprite-artwork for the rides was already created by a second person for the first game, which looks pretty much exactly the same.

#7 The Last of Us

Over the course of the previous console generation, Naughty Dog slowly worked its way into being one of my favourite video game developers ever. I had always liked their game, but it wasn't until Uncharted 2 that they really became great in my eyes. The Last of Us was just the exclamation point to that change. It has some of the best writing and character development I've ever seen in a video game. The gameplay is solid and rewarding, and the world itself is absolutely beautiful in its design and how it has been realized in the game. 

Hint for #6:

A game about killing cretures to resurrect a loved one.

S.Peelman said:
#6: This famous game, the second in the series, was developed by one man alone, while it's two expansions where created by a studio who made the third game, and released a spiritual successor on their own just recently.

Hint 2: Though most of the graphics and sprite-artwork for the rides was already created by a second person for the first game, which looks pretty much exactly the same.

Roller Coaster Tycoon II? 

mZuzek said:
Darashiva said:

Hint for #6:

A game about killing cretures to resurrect a loved one.

Shadow of the Colossus.

Indeed it is.

Around the Network

If you haven't noticed by now, OST is really important to me.

#8 - Metroid Prime

From this point onward, games have minimal flaws. The flaws are usually compliments (for example, too short). What exactly can I say about Metroid Prime? Let's talk about the first level, the sign of a good or bad game.

You start the game on a high note. Enter space, empty and desolate. You see a ship, and Samus, in one of the best entrances ever, jumps to it. No backstory, dumb cutscenes, or unnecesary exposition. You are already in control, and Prime control as one of the smoothest experiences I've ever had. There's joy in just shooting. I'm getting ahead of myself... so you start the game, and move around; experiment with each button. There are a few tutorials (shoot this thing, scan that), but they are there to teach you how to play, not to block your experience (as in, you can't jump until the game tells you to). Furthermore, the game also has perfect amount of handholding and leaving the player alone. At one point later in the game, I got lost (while exploring), and the game gave me a hint as to where to go. It got annoying one or two times, but helping a player in need is better than not.

The rest of the first level sets the precedent of the game. Amazing atmosphere (of being lost and alone in space. I feel games should treat space-adventures as a scary thrill, not action adventure), combat, scanning, room exploration, etc. Another thing I like is how exposition depends on the player. Cutscenes are short and minimal, and the Chozo Lore is simply genious. Since they are missing from the game, when you find it (which add to your completion), it gives them value that other games make annoying.

And lastly, you start the game with multiple power ups. Missiles, hookshot, morph ball, and bombs. At the end of the level, you lose these abilities. This probably has a fancy name in game design, and there's a reason for that. It makes you curious; I can't do any of that now, how can I get through the rest of the game? It's motivating.

The rest of the game is a masterpiece. 3 main regions, each very unique, with a great OST; dozens of power ups, either opening different doors or expanding the possibilities of exploration; and tons of secrets, from optional power ups to the Chozo Lore. Something really cool is that at the final stage of the game you have to collect 12 (??) artifacts... but you can find them throughout the entire game. They're not locked behind X cutscene for you to start the quest. 

I didn't even talk about the space pirates. God, I loved this game. Feel like replaying it now. Also, a lot of people feel that backtracking holds this kind o game back... I stand on the opposite side of the spectrum. I feel this allows you to make a better bond with the areas of the game, and makes a great relationship once you are familiar with the regions. Specially if you end up entering a different area not available before; you're not really backtracking.

If there's any game I would recommend as "classics", Metroid Prime would be 2nd. First would be another Metroid game

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Hint #7 - Think with ______, part 2.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Entropio said:
S.Peelman said:

Roller Coaster Tycoon II? 

Yes.

#6 Atelier Escha & Logy: Alchemists of the Dusk Sky

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZID4QIaF3BA

My first Atelier game, I got into the series very recently and with no knowledge of it, just saw the box and decided it looked cute and got it, was really surprised by how good it was, from its simple to understand yet really deep crafting mechanics, time based objectives, fun turn based battles, perfect soundtrack, great artsyle and with a more personal story, like instead of saving the world, you are just helping a town and explore the land around it, it was one of the most unique RPG experiences I have had.

BraLoD said:
Darashiva said:

Indeed it is.

So LoD is above both TLOU and SOTC... sounds good.

Like I said, LoD is very high on my list.