By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Discussion Thread: The Greatest Games Event 2016 - Finish Your Lists!!

Rollercoaster Tycoon 2 as guessed by Entropio

If there ever was a game that needed to count play-time, it is 'Rollercoaster Tycoon 2'. It's a shame I will never know, but I have undoubtedly put many thousands of hours into it, which likely makes it my most ever played game. There's really just two other contenders, 'SimCity 4' (#7) and 'Anno 1602' (#8). I still have many of my saved-games from the very beginning, dozens and dozens of them and there's more added to that list on a fairly regular basis though certain parks alone take hundreds of hours to build.

A game which I played so regularly for such a long time has got to be good, and it is placed high on the list, because it is. The player is unlimited, and you can build anything you can imagine. The only downside is that the real world didn't stand still, and advancements have been made in real life in ride-technology in the last one-and-a-half decade that isn't possible to replicate in the game without some doses of imagination, or modification. It doesn't spoil the fun however.

Even with those thousands, maybe even ten-thousand, of hours of playtime, I barely completed a single scenario. They're not interesting; the sandbox-mode, and the limitless design possibilities that come with it is what it's all about, and I've gotten very good at it. Even without the use of the many available user-created content and hacks. In fact, what you see in the screenshot, is the vanilla game, and is mine.

Around the Network

#5: Usually people will think about it's big brother, but this game maybe brought even more to the series; like fishing.

BraLoD said:
S.Peelman said:
#5: Usually people will think about it's big brother, but this game maybe brought even more to the series; like fishing.

Link's Awakening

Good stuff

I should have written something other than "fishing" lol.

But yes, it's Link's Awakening, very good stuff!

BraLoD said:
S.Peelman said:

I should have written something other than "fishing" lol.

But yes, it's Link's Awakening, very good stuff!

It's older brother would be A Link to the Past, btw?

'cause Link's Awakening > A Link to the Past

Yes, it is.

I always think LA is overshadowed by the more well known ALttP, but I already had ALttP in the 36th spot. LA is just better.

mZuzek said:
BraLoD said:

'cause Link's Awakening > A Link to the Past

S.Peelman said:

I always think LA is overshadowed by the more well known ALttP, but I already had ALttP in the 36th spot. LA is just better.

Please die. Both of you.

Edit: I mean... you can live on despite having wrong opinions.

#5 - The game that perfected the balance between the fun gameplay of its predecessor and the competitiveness of the one who came before it.

Brawl was fun?

Erhm... Smash 4.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Around the Network

#7 - Portal 2

I actually don't have much to say. This game entered really high to my surprise. I actually started and finished it not too long ago (Like October; a few weeks before making the list [Unlike Cities Skyline]), so I was very surprised it made it so high.

But yeah, great and creative game. As usual, the fact that there are minimal cutscenes is a giant plus; dialogues don't stop the gameplay, madness! And the characters are relatable, even though they are robots. Level design is great, and going from Portal 2 to 1 is a difficult transition. Portal 1 feels so primitive in comparison.

The main reason I chose to put it this high though is because once I started playing, I didn't want to stop. The puzzles were also difficult enough to ask the best of me, but not frustrating enough to rely on google (which I never used). The decision nail was the last portal you make in the game. It seemed so obvious, yet so clever. That ending, gameplay wise, was phenomenal and hands down my favourite in this list. Sadly, the soundtrack is very lacking

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

Hint #6 - 2 users mentioned "this" game, a 3rd threatened them for insulting "this" game. (I'm very tired).

mZuzek said:
AZWification said:

5- Brought back an old school franchise in full force and ha excellent reviews.

Kid Icarus: Uprising?

Nope, but it's also a Nintendo game.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

8- Pokemon FireRed

7- Resident Evil 4 

6- Wind Waker

BraLoD said:

'kay guys, time for the first part of my, aka the very best, top 10!

(btw, you guys suck for not getting my MGS 3 giveaway hints, I was expecting you to not get Disgaea 4, even as I fully posted all the chars profiles, tho xP)

10. Climb down to hell to kill the devil itself... then turn into it.
9. Detras de ti, imbecil!
8. This game has one of the very best beginning from any game ever, it's fucking intense, fucking epic, fucking brutal, and of course, has the biggest badass on videogames history.
7. Most people might disagree, but that's IMO the best game from the most well regarded RPG franchise ever.
6. Has a insanely low Metacritic score, but is a damn masterpiece IMO. Also has one of the best card minigames ever. Triple Triad? Tetra Master? Pff.

9- Resident Evil 4