By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4 sales could hit 175 million if Sony drops price to $200, says Pachter

Barkley said:
KBG29 said:
Not even a question of whether it will do this or not. PS4 is not a console, it is a platform. It will sell way more than even the 175M he is predicting. Between PS4 and PS4 Pro, and future devices like TV's, Laptops/Tablets, and handhelds/phones running on the PS4 platform, sales will be closer to 500M units.

You're very wrong. PlayStation Now is Sony's multi-device platform. We won't be seeing "PS4 Phones".

Bandwidth is to slow, and Data caps are to low. PS Now is not going to take off for a very, very long time. On top of that Sony's cut on PS Now is extreamly small. They take a 30% cut on Android and iOS, and the royalty fees are lower. PS Now is a back up business model, it is not the main course.

PlayStation hardware and PlayStation OS based devices are always going to be the heart of the business, and that is going to get much broader over the next few years. PlayStation is Sony's Windows/Android/iOS, and PlayStation Store is the App Store/Google Play. Not bring PlayStation OS and hardware to TV's, Phones, Tablets, etc. is a multi Trillion dollar fumble over the next decade.

A Sony unified behind PlayStation will be one of the most powerful companies in the world between 2020 - 2030. A Sony with PS4 vs Xperia vs Bravia like they have been, will continue to struggle, and waste all the efforts they have put into turing around and unifying.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Around the Network
KBG29 said:
Not bring PlayStation OS and hardware to TV's, Phones, Tablets, etc. is a multi Trillion dollar fumble over the next decade.

It's not as simple as "put the ps4 OS on everything!!!" PS4 software requires very specific hardware to run. They can't bring it to other devices, they'd have to create devices specifically for it.

Pachter is not bad. OP is bad :D

at launch he heavily underestimated the Ps4 and now he compensates and heavily overestimate the Ps4
at launch he heavily overestimated the Xbox One and now he compensates and heavily underestimate the new Xbox One S

i see a pattern here...

Oneeee-Chan!!! said:
Pachter is not bad. OP is bad :D

What did I ever did to you?  It's not like I burned your dog or something. 

Around the Network

But will it make Sony as much money is the question. Sony will care more about the money than market share.

LivingMetal said:

““And it’s the same with Xbox- you know, the Xbox 360, I don’t think it ever got below $300. Certainly you had sales, but I think the official price was $299 back when the Xbox One launched. ”

Well, the Xbox 360 Arcade was officially priced $199 after less than 3 years.

I bought one bundled with the (then) brand new GTA4 + 3 months XBL Gold for €199 in April 2008, so only 2.5 years after the 360 launch:

xl-klaudkil said:
Well..maybe 100-120 it could yes.
With a 199pricecut in now and 2 years.
But slim being 300is to much

At $250-$300, 100M in two years (so at the end of 2018) is pretty much a given. If they could drop to $200, then 120M is easy. 

The cheaper they go the more they sell. 

175 million? I think that´s.... just too much. Not going to happen even with such price drop.

And here i am thinking that the PS4 will have a hard time reaching 100 million, and thats with me thinking its an awesome console.