By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Red Alert 2 looks great in VR

Tagged games:

Xen said:
I am sorry, but this looks like nothing I'd ever want to even try, and I love the original Red Alert 2.

Hey, care to share what's wrong with this in your opinion? I'd like to know what's wrong and how to make it better. It's not my prototype, but game development is probably going to be my profession, so learning stuff like this is interesting.

Around the Network
Zkuq said:
Xen said:
I am sorry, but this looks like nothing I'd ever want to even try, and I love the original Red Alert 2.

Hey, care to share what's wrong with this in your opinion? I'd like to know what's wrong and how to make it better. It's not my prototype, but game development is probably going to be my profession, so learning stuff like this is interesting.

The view angle, shakyness, and whole idea of controlling units this way is very un-immersive - I felt that when watching the video. I understand that this is a prototype, and the final version would have ironed those out somewhat, but to me, the whole approach is just inferior to KB+mouse for a RTS game - even ironed out this is just not as good as it gets for RTS games IMO.

Xen said:
Zkuq said:

The view angle, shakyness, and whole idea of controlling units this way is very un-immersive - I felt that when watching the video. I understand that this is a prototype, and the final version would have ironed those out somewhat, but to me, the whole approach is just inferior to KB+mouse for a RTS game - even ironed out this is just not as good as it gets for RTS games IMO.

Ah, so it's mostly the lack of polish and control issues then. I agree, the controls look awkward, and I'm not sure if there's a way to ever reach the effectiveness of mouse and keyboard with VR. Can't really use mouse and keyboard as effectively with VR because you can't see them, and other control methods aren't probably going to be as effective. Still, there's definitely room for improvement, and I'm sure there's ways to get the controls to a 'good enough' level or better. It's a proof of concept like it says so there's bound to be problems, but personally I thought this was still pretty awesome. But each to their own I guess. :)

Not into VR all that much just yet, but it does look pretty neat, and I would love to see a full 3D Red Alert 2. Shame EA botched and left the C&C series to die years ago. They should sell the franchise to Petroglyph and let them work on a new one and even a VR C&C.

The controls are a bit wonky, but I reckon in time and with polish, this could definitely improve RTS in a new light. With Supreme Commander, you zoom out and you're looking at the battlefield from what looks like a Holo table, that would work really well I think with VR (Supreme commander I mean).

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"