By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Unfriending due to Political Differences

Would you unfriend someone due to political differences?

Yes 53 21.54%

No 152 61.79%

Unsure 41 16.67%

Total:246

So, a former colleague of mine posted on Facebook that he wants any friends of his who are Trump supporters to unfriend him.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/americans-are-already-voting-on-facebook-by-unfriending-political-foes-2016-11-05

http://mashable.com/2016/11/05/stop-defriending-trump-supporters/#F7riUGsmcqqB

Those two sources are two of many showing how many other people are following suit.  So...how reasonable is this? Is it moral? Is it practical?

-

Myself, personally, I know that I can't change (perhaps nudge or persuade to a fraction) the viewpoints of my friends and family. We can't choose family, and in many ways we only choose friends to a small degree. And colleagues? Definitely don't choose those. Between those three groups, all very important groups, how on Earth could it be smart to alienate them even if we disagree with them? And even if it wasn't smart, is it nice??? As you can see I disgree with how my my former colleague went about this. That being said, he is a bigger Hillary fan than me. I'm more in the middle, and only slowly warmed up to Hillary.

So, what's the verdict?

Around the Network

friendship goals

Oh noes, unfriending on Facebook... is it someone you've actually spoken to in the last few years? or ever, if not who gives a fuck, it isn't a real "friend" and literally means nothing if you unfriend him. (unless you make use of him for tickets to get to the next stages in candy crush).

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

I've blocked people on facebook for spouting obnoxious political garbage so it doesn't really surprise me...

Many things go above "political differences" and I was under a misconception at the time to think that it was just as simple as that because of how violent people were being towards each other during the 2016 election and thought this was just another extreme form of demonizing to dismiss anyone. I'm not gonna judge someone who ends friendships over things they personally have standards on, and in fact I actually applaud that as in any friendship you should be pushing your friends to be better people and that includes calling them out when you think they are in the wrong so that way you're not enabling them to keep doing what they're doing. If they're not able to self-reflect or be open to listening to that then that says more about them than anything.

Edit: I've edited this comment to rewrite it as to better accurately portray what I meant to say at the time and correct some misconceptions I had but didn't properly explain why I had them. 

Last edited by FloatingWaffles - on 16 August 2021

Around the Network

i hate this election so much...

People get angry at me for not supporting Hillary Clinton despise the awful things she has done, i get it, she might be the "lesser of two evils" (imho she is the greater evil), but she is the very reason someone like Trump has a shot at winning this thing. That alone should be a testament of how bad she is.

I wouldn't hate anyone for being a Trump supporter. Sure, I disagree with who they want, but I wouldn't unfriend or hate someone over it

I stopped talking to a girl because she got fat. This is nothing.

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence

That's pretty stupid.

Well, the problem for me is that if I did that I would have no one left (not that I have any friends in real life anyways). I don't know any other anarcho-communists.