By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Good games that still got slammed by fans.

Dark Souls II. Despite Dark Souls III being my first Dark Souls game, I actually think Dark Souls II is more memorable than Dark Souls III, even if it is very rough around the edges.

Around the Network

Wii................

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Final Fantasy 3, Super Mario Sunshine, Wind Waker

Player2 said:

1 - Money is useless in FF8.

2 - Yes, it's useful only if you're playing to lose.

3 - AP can be gained by carding enemies so they don't give EXP (very slow and tedious) or kill a bunch of enemies with Seifer or Edea (they aren't permanent party members) or at the cactuar island (high AP, low EXP) if you're impatient.

4 - Killing bosses is fine, they don't give EXP.

5 - Playing the card game is faster.

6 - Achievements? really?

7 - Get the items from refining cards, card dragons (no EXP) for the fangs.

I just gave you some reasons, they weren't stated for discussion or something, particulary when there's certain points we're not going to agree in regardless of what's stated . In fact your whole rebuttal in point 3 gives some strange twists in order not to get EXP, which I can understand coming from where you stand, but seriously, nothing like killing some monsters without that contrived way to generate AP, even if you level up from time to time. It's faster, it's more fun to do, you can do it whenever you want and not wait for a specific story-segment.

I don't really understand what problem you have with getting EXP since Junction/Refining can broke your characters to the point of not caring if your enemies level up with you. I mean, you could have complained about that I guess, but...

Resident Evil 4 one of the greatest game of all time and old school fans hate it.

Around the Network
Volterra_90 said:
teigaga said:
Mass Effect 3 :)

Actually I think this is the best example. One of my favourite games ever.

Agreed. Doesn't deserve a fraction of the criticism it cops.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Dark Souls II. Yes, it's the worst Souls title. That doesn't mean it's bad; it's still leaps and bounds ahead of most other games.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Wright said:
Player2 said:

1 - Money is useless in FF8.

2 - Yes, it's useful only if you're playing to lose.

3 - AP can be gained by carding enemies so they don't give EXP (very slow and tedious) or kill a bunch of enemies with Seifer or Edea (they aren't permanent party members) or at the cactuar island (high AP, low EXP) if you're impatient.

4 - Killing bosses is fine, they don't give EXP.

5 - Playing the card game is faster.

6 - Achievements? really?

7 - Get the items from refining cards, card dragons (no EXP) for the fangs.

I just gave you some reasons, they weren't stated for discussion or something, particulary when there's certain points we're not going to agree in regardless of what's stated . In fact your whole rebuttal in point 3 gives some strange twists in order not to get EXP, which I can understand coming from where you stand, but seriously, nothing like killing some monsters without that contrived way to generate AP, even if you level up from time to time. It's faster, it's more fun to do, you can do it whenever you want and not wait for a specific story-segment.

I don't really understand what problem you have with getting EXP since Junction/Refining can broke your characters to the point of not caring if your enemies level up with you. I mean, you could have complained about that I guess, but...

Gaining AP at the cactuar island is actually faster than at other normal battles and more AP earlier is not needed because the game is very easy this way. Besides, if more AP is needed you get Seifer very early and bosses give APs too.

The problem with EXP is that I think that a good game must be fun to play when you're playing to win. Yeah, complete lack of balance is another problem FF VIII has.

Player2 said:

Gaining AP at the cactuar island is actually faster than at other normal battles and more AP earlier is not needed because the game is very easy this way. Besides, if more AP is needed you get Seifer very early and bosses give APs too.

The problem with EXP is that I think that a good game must be fun to play when you're playing to win. Yeah, complete lack of balance is another problem FF VIII has.

That's the thing. VIII is fun while playing to win. Enemies escalate just so that there's always a constant sense of challenging, in the same vein your characters level up and become stronger; at no point the game gets unfair (especially not if you take into account Junction/Refine) except for, perhaps, Omega or Ultimecia. The only complain I can get from not wanting to level up is that you want the game to become a breeze at one point, rather than keep the difficulty throughout. It's the same principle that other games have applied, like Elder Scrolls: Oblivion. It's not a bad concept at all, unless, yeah, you want the game to become extremely easy at one point.

All Final Fantasy games feature lack of balance at one point or the other. VIII's only issue is that it takes easier to get there than the rest, but that's pretty much it.

starcraft said:
Volterra_90 said:

Actually I think this is the best example. One of my favourite games ever.

Agreed. Doesn't deserve a fraction of the criticism it cops.

I think so. Side quests are top notch. Gameplay is better than 2. Sure, the end is a bit shitty, but the game is for than just an ending. Tbh, what I like the most about ME series is character development. In that regard, 3 is the best.