By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Good games that still got slammed by fans.

The inmediate game that comes to my mind is Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty. Fantastic game, one of my favourite videogames of all time, but one that also got an extremely harsh reception despite the critics universal acclaim and being the best-selling game of the franchise. It eventually got the delayed appreciation it deserved, through years of internet discussion and the HD remaster popping up, which also made people rethink what they thought of the game.

And of course, the second game that comes to my mind is Final Fantasy 8. Another game that went to become one of the franchise's best selling games (didn't top its predecessor, though), and had universal acclaim from critics, but for some reason (though I've always consider this to be just a relatively-small but very vocal internet community) gamers hated it, pointed at it like it was some sort of monstruosity. Granted, it's also one of my favourite videogames of all time, so I'm kind of biased here, but what can I say? The game is fantastic, has a charming plot with some issues here and there, a likeable cast (yes, likeable, when you get to know them) with some black sheeps here and there (ew Quistis), and a very enjoyable gameplay system akin to the rest of the franchise, really. Most people struggle with Junction for some reason, but the basics of it are quite simple to grasp. Not to mention, the fabulous OST is deeply memorable. On a side note here, I also loved Final Fantasy XIII despite the fan reception of it, though in that case I can (sorta) understand some of the criticism (not all, most of it is very displaced or some cherrypicking).

Around the Network
okr said:
Here comes the most controversial post of the thread.

Ready?

I really liked Star Fox Adventures.

Me too. I still have it.

Wright said:

And of course, the second game that comes to my mind is Final Fantasy 8. Another game that went to become one of the franchise's best selling games (didn't top its predecessor, though), and had universal acclaim from critics, but for some reason (though I've always consider this to be just a relatively-small but very vocal internet community) gamers hated it, pointed at it like it was some sort of monstruosity. Granted, it's also one of my favourite videogames of all time, so I'm kind of biased here, but what can I say? The game is fantastic, has a charming plot with some issues here and there, a likeable cast (yes, likeable, when you get to know them) with some black sheeps here and there (ew Quistis), and a very enjoyable gameplay system akin to the rest of the franchise, really. Most people struggle with Junction for some reason, but the basics of it are quite simple to grasp. Not to mention, the fabulous OST is deeply memorable. On a side note here, I also loved Final Fantasy XIII despite the fan reception of it, though in that case I can (sorta) understand some of the criticism (not all, most of it is very displaced or some cherrypicking).

So you complained days ago about the possibility of killing enemies being pointless in Resident Evil 7, but killing enemies in Final Fantasy VIII being pointless except for making the game harder is fine? Get the hell out of here

Player2 said:

So you complained days ago about the possibility of killing enemies being pointless in Resident Evil 7, but killing enemies in Final Fantasy VIII being pointless except for making the game harder is fine? Get the hell out of here

There's plenty of reasons why you should kill enemies in Final Fantasy 8, but so far what we've seen on RE7, there's zero reasons to waste bullets on Mr. Baker.

I never said that you shouldn't kill enemies in REVII, as long as they remain dead.

Wright said:
Player2 said:

There's plenty of reasons why you should kill enemies in Final Fantasy 8, but so far what we've seen on RE7, there's zero reasons to waste bullets on Mr. Baker.

I never said that you shouldn't kill enemies in REVII, as long as they remain dead.

Then naming a few shouldn't be a problem.

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
okr said:
Here comes the most controversial post of the thread.

Ready?

I really liked Star Fox Adventures.

Me too. I still have it.

I honestly don't know why people didn't like that game. It was really fun. One of the best Gamecube games indeed. I also still have my copy.

PSN ID- RayCrocheron82

XBL Gamertag- RAFIE82

NNID- RAFIE82/ Friend Code: SW-6006-2580-8237

YouTube- Rafie Crocheron

Player2 said:

Getting a good score in your first SeeD report.

Grinding, especially if you want to test your skill at OP Ultimecia, which means leveling up everyone to the max.

Gaining AP for your Guardian Force.

And since we're naming the Guardian Forces, "killing" them will make them joing your party.

Executing them by "Carding" so that you later refine them into things that will boost your Junction (or beat Quistis at Triple Triad, your choice).

If you're a cheevo hunter and you're playing on the Steam version, unlocking the achievement for slaying 10,000 enemies.

The satisfaction of watching Lionheart the first time you're using it and obliterating the adversary.

MGSV. Series has very high expectations and crazy fans so expected.

Shadow8 said:
DmC

Good call.

Longtime fans hated the character changes but mechanically it was a great action game

Platinums: Red Dead Redemption, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet, Terminator Salvation, Uncharted 1, inFamous Second Son, Rocket League

Wright said:
Player2 said:

Getting a good score in your first SeeD report.

Grinding, especially if you want to test your skill at OP Ultimecia, which means leveling up everyone to the max.

Gaining AP for your Guardian Force.

And since we're naming the Guardian Forces, "killing" them will make them joing your party.

Executing them by "Carding" so that you later refine them into things that will boost your Junction (or beat Quistis at Triple Triad, your choice).

If you're a cheevo hunter and you're playing on the Steam version, unlocking the achievement for slaying 10,000 enemies.

The satisfaction of watching Lionheart the first time you're using it and obliterating the adversary.

1 - Money is useless in FF8.

2 - Yes, killing enemies is useful if you're trying to lose.

3 - AP can be gained by carding enemies so they don't give EXP (very slow and tedious) or kill a bunch of enemies with Seifer or Edea (they aren't permanent party members) or at the cactuar island (high AP, low EXP) if you're impatient. An alternate plan is to junction all GFs on Quistis a crappy character you won't use later, kill the other two party members and kill enemies with him/her.

4 - Killing bosses is fine, they don't give EXP.

5 - Playing the card game is faster.

6 - Achievements? really?

7 - Get the items from refining cards, card dragons (no EXP) for the fangs.