By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - More leaks; Nintendo Switch to use costum Tegra X2, 1.5Tflops, architecture unveiled

Wildcard36qs said:

TFlops needs to stop being some be-all-end-all metric. I have been PC gaming for years and years and one thing you quickly find out is that you cannot just look at TFlops and determine a system's capabilities (it gives a rough idea).

TFlops of the Tegra X2 is measured at FP16 (source), which is half that of FP32 that XB1 and PS4 are measured at (source needed for specifics, but industry standard is FP32, which is why nVidia mentioned they measured in FP16 as it is not the norm). So that roughly equates to 750 GFlops of FP32 performance (nearly half that of the XB1). (Pascal can run 2x FP16 instructions or 1x FP32 intructions per clock. source)

Then there is the CPU aspect. ARM vs. x86 is hard to compare directly these days, but x86 is almost always more powerful than ARM, even at similar clocks. 

RAM is another aspect and with LPDDR4 for Tegra X2 @ 50 GB/s (source), this cannot compare at all with XB1's 68.3 GB/s and PS4's 176 GB/s (source).

Lastly, let's look at the CUDA cores - 256. While this is a new architecture, it is just Maxwell 2.0 so we can guestimate where this GPU lies. The only nVidia GPU we have close to that is an 920MX mobile GPU (comparisons), which has about 550 GFlops (source). Now sure, this is based on a 28nm Maxwell architecture, so it will definitely be faster, say closer to 750 GFlops? As for comparison, the XB1 GPU is similar to an AMD Radeon HD 7770 (specs) and the PS4 is similar to an AMD Radeon HD 7870 (specs). Therfore, there is no comparison at all as it is not even in the same class as the XB1 or PS4. 

People please temper your hype and expectations. You will be dissapointed. I will not because this thing would still blow the Wii U out of the water, and I love my Wii U.

Last note: most of our specs for Tegra X2 are from nVidia's presentation of their Parker SOC for Autonomous Vehicles (source) which means Nintendo will probably have a different, customized design that may or may not be more powerful.

Agreed, yet after all that how do you come to the conclusion it will still blow the Wii U out of the water, instead of being a modest upgrade to the Wii U? With a March release it would have been nice to see something running on the target hardware by now. Still have to wait until Januari for some more info.

Around the Network

Oh for the days of the NES. 'Cause the console couldn't handle the sufficient color palette, some game developer only realised when trying to make a snooker game 'Where are you green ball... I can't see you?! Haha

Captain_Yuri said:

God FP16 is goofing up the internet. We had the ps4pro at 8.4 TF and now this... It is 1.5TF in FP16 so by this logic, x1 is 2.6TF

No.  the console's GPU has to support it.  Xbox one is still 1.3 and PS4 is still 1.84.  Only Pro is confirmed to support up to 8.4

So by the sounds off it, it's going to be much more powerful then Wii u but far far behind par pro and skorpio right? Not too shabby for a thing that runs handheld. The Wii u handled ACIV just fine so should be a fairly little powerful beast

CosmicSex said:
Captain_Yuri said:

God FP16 is goofing up the internet. We had the ps4pro at 8.4 TF and now this... It is 1.5TF in FP16 so by this logic, x1 is 2.6TF

No.  the console's GPU has to support it.  Xbox one is still 1.3 and PS4 is still 1.84.  Only Pro is confirmed to support up to 8.4

Yes but only in FP16 which is used only in some situations... And Pro is comfirmed to support upto 4.2 TF in FP32 so people should really quit saying "up to 8.4" without saying the rest...

I will admit, maybe I will reword my responses in a different mannor

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network
CosmicSex said:
Captain_Yuri said:

It''s a worthless function for games to begin with, since almost every task requires FP32 in a game 

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

I think Switch is more than 128bits.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

Well, the big difference here is FP16.
In xbox and ps4, FP16 are not pratical because they calculate with FP32 then converts to FP16.
On a native FP16, maybe they can run everything on double speed.
One of the details NVIDIA gave is that they are not only providing the hardware, but also the software, maybe they are preparing the libraries to take full advantage of FP16 operations. 32 bits is too much precision in the vast majority of cases. It could also double the effective memory bandwidth!
So, here may be where switch shines.

But if not and we still on FP32, its 750 tflops docked, 500 on the go, and only 50 GB/s memory bandwidth. And no ESRAM like wii U or xbox one. So, nowhere near to xbox one.

SvennoJ said:

Agreed, yet after all that how do you come to the conclusion it will still blow the Wii U out of the water, instead of being a modest upgrade to the Wii U? With a March release it would have been nice to see something running on the target hardware by now. Still have to wait until Januari for some more info.

Because it will at worst, be 2x more powerful than the Wii U. I agree with you that this is all speculation based upon hopes and dreams. I am just trying to help control the people who are going insane thinking this is going to compare to XB1 or PS4. I really do hope it is an even more robust and customized nVidia collab, but who knows? We need to wait until January, as you said.

Wildcard36qs said:
SvennoJ said:

Because it will at worst, be 2x more powerful than the Wii U. I agree with you that this is all speculation based upon hopes and dreams. I am just trying to help control the people who are going insane thinking this is going to compare to XB1 or PS4. I really do hope it is an even more robust and customized nVidia collab, but who knows? We need to wait until January, as you said.

Sure, I expect it to be between 2x and 3x the WiiU as well. I just thought the wording was funny, Switch will blow the WiiU out of the water, while ps4 pro with a similar increase to ps4 isn't anything to get excited over :) (Not that you said that)

It's a small step, WiiU had the benefit of 32mb edram at 70 GB/s and compared to the Wii about 12x more ram for games. And that generated responses of the same mario in HD, with super mario galaxy still being the favorite. Which is a good thing I guess, Nintendo doesn't need raw power.

All I want to know in Januari is, is it worth sacrificing the map/inventory on the gamepad for. Is Zelda on Switch going to be that much better to warrant a day 1 purchase. Or should I just play it on the WiiU as I should have done with Twilight Princess. Wasn't worth waiting for the Wii for that one.