By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - More leaks; Nintendo Switch to use costum Tegra X2, 1.5Tflops, architecture unveiled

Not to alarm anyone, but keep in mind that this thing use cartridges, so maybe it don´t even need that much RAM or clock to run awesome stuff, the way the Switch will read the media is totally diferent than what the XBOne and PS4 do.
Also, no stupid stinking installs!

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

Around the Network
WagnerPaiva said:
Not to alarm anyone, but keep in mind that this thing use cartridges, so maybe it don´t even need that much RAM or clock to run awesome stuff, the way the Switch will read the media is totally diferent than what the XBOne and PS4 do.

*facepalm

What the hell does the format for media distribution have to do with the RAM?

Is that a joke comment?

WagnerPaiva said:

No, cards are faster than BD discs, but RAM is much more faster than both of them. Flash cards have a transfer speed of Megabits per second (Mb/s) while the speed between RAM and the processor is measured in Gigabits per second (Gb/s). That's 1000x faster.

And RAM is used to store the data the processor, in this case the Tegra chip, needs to do the calculus, as well as the data it will need next and also the resulting data of its operations. RAM is also where the textures are copied to in order to be able to use them fast (it's odd when your game loads a blank wall and after a second or two the bricks texture appears on it, right?).

Having less RAM is not better, no matter the format of the games, disc, cartridge or digital.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Darwinianevolution said:
So it will have a slightly better performance than the XBOne when docked, and slightly above WiiU when on the go? I can live with that. I just hope the architecture is not too dificult to port games to.

Same, but with awesome first-party games too.

setsunatenshi said:
WagnerPaiva said:

*facepalm

What the hell does the format for media distribution have to do with the RAM?

Is that a joke comment?

the access of the data by the system, my friend. also, non moving parts means less energy consumption and more durability

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

Around the Network
JEMC said:
WagnerPaiva said:

No, cards are faster than BD discs, but RAM is much more faster than both of them. Flash cards have a transfer speed of Megabits per second (Mb/s) while the speed between RAM and the processor is measured in Gigabits per second (Gb/s). That's 1000x faster.

And RAM is used to store the data the processor, in this case the Tegra chip, needs to do the calculus, as well as the data it will need next and also the resulting data of its operations. RAM is also where the textures are copied to in order to be able to use them fast (it's odd when your game loads a blank wall and after a second or two the bricks texture appears on it, right?).

Having less RAM is not better, no matter the format of the games, disc, cartridge or digital.

of course, but the flash data is a whole new kind of game. I for one am very optimistic =)

WagnerPaiva said:
JEMC said:

of course, but the flash data is a whole new kind of game. I for one am very optimistic =)

Flash storage is what's inside the memory cards, all of them.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:
WagnerPaiva said:

You guys are merciless.. Ok, cartridges make no diference, I stand corrected.

Anyways, I will buy it when I have money, looks cool.

WagnerPaiva said:
JEMC said:

Nah. You are not completely incorrect. Cartridges could make a difference in certain instances. Those instances are mostly anything that requires using RAM as "cache" to compensate for the slower speeds of BDs/HDDs, like streaming game data. Cartridges would not fix the need to use some ram for that but they can help alleviate the problem.

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

FunFan said:
WagnerPaiva said:

Nah. You are not completely incorrect. Cartridges could make a difference in certain instances. Those instances are mostly anything that requires using RAM as "cache" to compensate for the slower speeds of BDs/HDDs, like streaming game data. Cartridges would not fix the need to use some ram for that but they can help alleviate the problem.

You wouldn't need to install certain parts of Xenoblade chronicles X to the internal SD memory like on the WiiU. Yet even games downloaded on the WiiU's internal memory take their sweet time to load.

Perhaps certain games could still require installs as reading from 2 locations is faster than just the 1. It also depends what background tasks the system does. For example on XBox One installing the game on an external HDD can sometimes have better results as the OS (background downloads etc) and the game aren't competing for the same resource. Getting the game data from a cartridge never has that problem.

It all depends on what type of SD cards the Switch is going to use. Cheap ones are only 30 MB/s transfer speed, while 5400 rpm drives sit at 100 MB/s.