By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Rumor: Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G sold 670,000 at launch

http://kotaku.com/373908/monster-hunter-portable-2nd-g-sold-over-650000

"According to early sales figures, Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G did monster business, selling over 670,000 copies in Japan at launch. That means the sequel out sold the original Monster Hunter Portable, which moved 512,000 copies at launch (497,000 individual copies, plus 15,000 bundles). The breakdown this time around is apparently 652,000 copies of the game and 17,000 PSP game bundles. We'll get official sales data later in the week, but with MHP 2nd G sold out at pretty much every store I've been to, willing to bet these early numbers are pretty accurate."

Around the Network

weren't those the first day figures?

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

Seems like it. It'll be interesting to see how the Wii version sells.

The console versions weren't as big, however I get the feeling that the series is far far larger in Japan than when the PS2 games were released. It will be extremely interesting to see whether the popularity of the PSP games will carry over.

I'm only now realising what a blow to PS3 the loss of MH 3 was. Anyway, this should keep PSP numbers high for a while now

Around the Network
Munkeh111 said:
I'm only now realising what a blow to PS3 the loss of MH 3 was. Anyway, this should keep PSP numbers high for a while now

*shakes head in disagreement*

I would've agreed if this was released on a stationary console.

But you might want to check how well the home console versions of Monster Hunter are doing....

Its really curious that its performing MUCH better on a handheld console than on home console. Which is why the future for Monster Hunter is uncertain.

However if with Monster Hunter's reputation growing, and the high demand for Wii's in Japan. It might eventually become first time million-seller on a home console.

If you notice, you'll see each manufacture has a strategy to garauntee strong sales of their hardware. Nearly each platform has at least one third party system seller that has been bought as an exclusive only to their system.

This is strictly reserved for third party franchises, I do realize they have their own first party system sellers. Im only taking a focus on the main third party exclusive system-sellers:

Wii: Monster Hunter 3 (tri)

DS: Dragon Quest IX

PS3: Final Fantasy XIII

Xbox 360: ????

PSP: Monster Hunter Portable

I suggest that if Microsoft ever intends to make a move in Japan again, they might want to consider cashing out big on one of the huge japan only million-sellers to gaurantee themselves a succesfull ground on Japanese territory.

It will be very interesting to see how Monster Hunter 3 will perform on the Wii.

Nintendo & Sony supporter:

Consoles: Wii & PS3.

@ ruksa, you would assume there would be a decent cross-over between PSP and PS3 owners in Japan, so it certainly would have boosted hardware sales a bit there, certainly over current numbers

for the 360 the main million seller problem is that there are not 1m 360s in Japan, but the LO franchise should do well

PSP has been doing quite well in japan lately, japan often seems to be the first country to show a trend in anime and video games, I wonder if psp sales will start building momentum outside japan aswell even if monster hunter isnt a big thing (which it could develop into aswell though).

Munkeh111 said:
@ ruksa, you would assume there would be a decent cross-over between PSP and PS3 owners in Japan, so it certainly would have boosted hardware sales a bit there, certainly over current numbers

for the 360 the main million seller problem is that there are not 1m 360s in Japan, but the LO franchise should do well

The reason for that is that its got nothing the japanese gamers care about... well besides the red rings stigma probably.

The LO franchise won't do anything move any systems in Japan. It will probably get total sales over 100.000 when all is said and done, but right now as far as I know the reputation of Mistwalker games are very weak.

If Microsoft had... let's say, bought exclusive rights to Kingdom Hearts III then I might been swayed to believe that the 360 had a chance to make serious waves in Japan.

The core of the problem is just that barely any people in Japan want a 360, which is why is just hasnt reached a million.

I assume Microsoft hasnt pulled the plug on Japan and are just using it as a hinderance of giving Sony more sales on the PS3. They are simply making a tight bottleneck so the PS3 makes less sales. I think they've lost hope on the Japanese market, but havent given up on the western gamers that enjoy japanese JRPGs.

To me it seems like they're using Lost Odyssey and they're upcoming JRPGs to strangle the JRPG market on the PS3 in the west. If they could convince one of the major JRPG publishers in Japan that JRPGs do sell on their system... they might be able to make big deals on japanese games that would finally show effect in Japan.

Just a little of my view on this. Perhaps I might be romantizing it a bit.

Nintendo & Sony supporter:

Consoles: Wii & PS3.

Monster Hunetr Portable 2 G had some great sales this week , and if we will see at least Dissidia or KH : BBS released this year on the PSP in Japan , than hardware sales at least are secured for now :)

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!