By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - solid rumor: Nintendo Switch will be using Tegra X2

SvennoJ said:
Peh said:

I wouldn't take much value in the flops. They don't represent the feature level the GPU/CPU will work with and what visuals will be possible in the end. It's like back in the day where they used BITS to describe the power of a console (8-bit, 16-bit, 32-bit, 64-bit and so on). But, you know.. compare N64 to Atari Jaguar 64 ... and do the math. Today we talk about FLOPS which is kinda the same not saying much about the whole performance of a console. Speaking about the battery the gamepad has.. that was kind of a joke, because they deliberately place a very small one into the gamepad.

The top one (1.5 A) is the default battery which is being place into the gamepad. The larger one (2,55A) gives you 2-3 additional hours of gameplay. And it really shows the differents.

Maybe the NS does the same? :/

I don't know the current power consumption of the NS, nor does I know the battery size. 5mah woud be pretty big. It's all a mystery as to what the games will look on the go and what part the docking station really plays.

True, however it's rather that mobile gpu's seem to have less grunt per rated gflop in real life. The Galaxy S7 Edge should have easily outperformed the wiiU at 512 gflops fp32, except for the catching on fire part :) And that's a 3600 mAH battery, 2.4x of the standard WiiU gamepad.

The Switch looks pretty big, 5,000 mAH battery is not impossible. The controllers have there own batteries as well, perhaps adding to the total battery life when attached. Anyway there's always the option to have an external battery, should be cheaper now after the Pokemon Go rush on them.

Rememer, phones are passively cooled, so overheating is a real concern if you run at full throttle nonstop.  Looking at the Switch, it seems to have built in active cooling.  And I will bet the battery life will be pretty low in all honesty, that's why they are repeated emphasizing it is a home machine with the portability as a feature.  The real question here is that with active cooling, they could augment the chip to have more grunt, so a lot of this will come down to how custom this custom chip is.

Around the Network

I'd expect the battery to be a lot bigger than 5000 MaH to be honest.

I think more along the lines of 8000-9000 MaH.

Batteries are not that expensive, but they do take up space, but the NS is a pretty big device.

Be excited!!

Soundwave said:

Batteries are not that expensive, but they do take up space, but the NS is a pretty big device.

It is larger, especially in terms of thickness.  So a larger battery is possible physically I suppose.  It really will just come down to priorities.

DélioPT said:
From this "rumour" and Emily's "Switch has 4GB RAM", what can we actually see as games? Close to XB1 or not that close?

Vram matters more. PS4 8GB 4.5 of it is avail to games. So Nintendo could have say maybe 3-3.5 avail for games or possibly all of it and have the OS operate on something else.  So while many freak out at 4GB of ram,it's not the time to worry yet. I mean we have to see a third party mention struggles with the system. Even before Wii U launch they complained about the CPU and RAM.

Around the Network
Nuvendil said:
Soundwave said:

It is larger, especially in terms of thickness.  So a larger battery is possible physically I suppose.  It really will just come down to priorities.

Well battery life in a handheld device should be pretty high on your list of priorities.

KLXVER said:
Nuvendil said:

Well battery life in a handheld device should be pretty high on your list of priorities.

I would agree if that's what they were calling it.  But since they keep pushing its home console side, that tells me they are prioritizing that side more in most areas.  I mean, they've already tossed out many aspects of conventional good design sense for a handheld.  So yeah, that's why I think it's possible the battery life will be "eh".  They're pitching the portability as a feature of the console and just "ok" battery life will be viewed as acceptable.  Whereas if they were saying it was a handheld, it woud definitely not. 

SegataSanshiro said:
DélioPT said:
From this "rumour" and Emily's "Switch has 4GB RAM", what can we actually see as games? Close to XB1 or not that close?

Vram matters more. PS4 8GB 4.5 of it is avail to games. So Nintendo could have say maybe 3-3.5 avail for games or possibly all of it and have the OS operate on something else.  So while many freak out at 4GB of ram,it's not the time to worry yet. I mean we have to see a third party mention struggles with the system. Even before Wii U launch they complained about the CPU and RAM.

Thanks for the info!

SvennoJ said:
Tegra X2 would at least pull the memory bandwidth closer to X1, 50 GB/s vs 68 GB/s. X1 has the much faster esram to help out yet main memory would be more comparable.

It's just speculation anyway. Tegra x2 is 0.75 tflops, better than x1 at 0.5 tflops. Funny the Tegra X2 now also has Int8 compute, 3 dltops!

Drive PX2 can do 6 tflops / 20 dltops! (at 80 watts, 2x tegra x2 + 2x Pascal MXM GPU)
http://wccftech.com/nvidia-tegra-parker-soc-hot-chips/

Anyway forget close to xb1 performance, the WiiU uses 34 watts total while gaming. The Switch also needs to power the screen and won't even use half that, doubt it can even power the x2 on battery mode. Maybe x2 has a low power mode for mobile?

It not only about that, but X2 because much more efficient architecture can run chip at higher clock with staying power efficient.

SvennoJ said:
Peh said:

What I can give Nintendo credit for is the very low power consumption. Where back in the day the PS3 and Xbox 360 used 160-180 Watts, the Wii only did 30 Watts and the Wii U like you said 34 Watts.

The PS4 is currently around 135 Watts and the Xbox One about 115 watts.

What power consumption the NS will have is only to be rumored. Both in handheld mode and home console mode.

The WiiU Gamepad uses about 1.8 watts (3 hours on a 1500 mah battery) Mobile phones have up to 3300 mah batteries, Vita 2200 mah with external battery pack rated at 5000 mah. It's not much to work with, Switch running at 6 watts will still give it only 3 hours with a 5000 mah battery.

At this point I doubt how much faster it will be than the WiiU. WiiU has 0.35 tflops, 12.8Gb/s memory + 70Gb/s edram. Tegra X1 doubles the main memory bandwidth but doesn't have edram and will only be 40% faster. WiiU to Switch would be comparable to X1 to PS4 difference. It's still impressive to pack 1.4x WiiU into a handheld, but I'll wait for DF before deciding if Zelda is worth upgrading to Switch for.

Switch will most likely have quad ARM A57 CPU running at higher clocks thats will most likely be several times stronger and more capable CPU than Wii Us CPU, it will have most likely 3x more RAM memory than Wii U, GPU will also be noticeable stronger, memory bandwidth will be around similar (I cant imagine that Nintendo will go slower memory for new console than previous had, especially because Nintendo always pay attention on memory performance).

So how exactly Switch can be just 1.4x Wii U!?

My thoughts about the whole thing: Nintendo was satisfied with the basic Tegra X1 but then came the Scorpio and Pro announcement. Nvidia INSISTED Nintendo to go for the Tegra X2. This is the most ambitiuos and prestigious project Nvidia has ever had. Nintendo still give them time to squeeze and optimize the Switch till Januari 2017.