By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - solid rumor: Nintendo Switch will be using Tegra X2

sam987 said:
My thoughts about the whole thing: Nintendo was satisfied with the basic Tegra X1 but then came the Scorpio and Pro announcement. Nvidia INSISTED Nintendo to go for the Tegra X2. This is the most ambitiuos and prestigious project Nvidia has ever had. Nintendo still give them time to squeeze and optimize the Switch till Januari 2017.

I could see this being true. I would think the reason for the delay would either be not enough games ready at launch or the upgrade you spoke off. Anything else makes little sense.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

Around the Network
Stefan.De.Machtige said:
sam987 said:
My thoughts about the whole thing: Nintendo was satisfied with the basic Tegra X1 but then came the Scorpio and Pro announcement. Nvidia INSISTED Nintendo to go for the Tegra X2. This is the most ambitiuos and prestigious project Nvidia has ever had. Nintendo still give them time to squeeze and optimize the Switch till Januari 2017.

I could see this being true. I would think the reason for the delay would either be not enough games ready at launch or the upgrade you spoke off. Anything else makes little sense.

Yep, let´s hope history si not repeating again for Nintendo with 3rd/party games...

Stefan.De.Machtige said:
sam987 said:

Don't know about Nvidia insisting, but I have no doubt Nvidia would be eager to have the Switch be as strong as possible a showing for their Tegra tech.  Don't think Scoprio necessarily informed that decision though.  But the Tegra brand needs a win, everyone knows it.  And AMD is the current king of the console space, and Nvidia will not want to look silly next to their rival.  

Another reason for the delay would be to avoid fighting for attention with VR mania, the PS4 Pro, and the usual holiday media circus and rather take a usually unoccupied slice of the callendar and monopolize it.  Let's be real here, from January to March, Nintendo will be virtually the only topic in gaming news.  That's good for the launch.  

Miyamotoo said:
SvennoJ said:
Tegra X2 would at least pull the memory bandwidth closer to X1, 50 GB/s vs 68 GB/s. X1 has the much faster esram to help out yet main memory would be more comparable.

It's just speculation anyway. Tegra x2 is 0.75 tflops, better than x1 at 0.5 tflops. Funny the Tegra X2 now also has Int8 compute, 3 dltops!

Drive PX2 can do 6 tflops / 20 dltops! (at 80 watts, 2x tegra x2 + 2x Pascal MXM GPU)
http://wccftech.com/nvidia-tegra-parker-soc-hot-chips/

Anyway forget close to xb1 performance, the WiiU uses 34 watts total while gaming. The Switch also needs to power the screen and won't even use half that, doubt it can even power the x2 on battery mode. Maybe x2 has a low power mode for mobile?

It not only about that, but X2 because much more efficient architecture can run chip at higher clock with staying power efficient.

SvennoJ said:

The WiiU Gamepad uses about 1.8 watts (3 hours on a 1500 mah battery) Mobile phones have up to 3300 mah batteries, Vita 2200 mah with external battery pack rated at 5000 mah. It's not much to work with, Switch running at 6 watts will still give it only 3 hours with a 5000 mah battery.

At this point I doubt how much faster it will be than the WiiU. WiiU has 0.35 tflops, 12.8Gb/s memory + 70Gb/s edram. Tegra X1 doubles the main memory bandwidth but doesn't have edram and will only be 40% faster. WiiU to Switch would be comparable to X1 to PS4 difference. It's still impressive to pack 1.4x WiiU into a handheld, but I'll wait for DF before deciding if Zelda is worth upgrading to Switch for.

Switch will most likely have quad ARM A57 CPU running at higher clocks thats will most likely be several times stronger and more capable CPU than Wii Us CPU, it will have most likely 3x more RAM memory than Wii U, GPU will also be noticeable stronger, memory bandwidth will be around similar (I cant imagine that Nintendo will go slower memory for new console than previous had, especially because Nintendo always pay attention on memory performance).

So how exactly Switch can be just 1.4x Wii U!?

Apparently my 350 gflops for WiiU was incorrect. If it really is only 176 gflops and the Switch does get the Tegra X2 than 3x is possible. The WiiU would only have the advantage in 70 GB/s edram for rendering, yet main memory bandwidth would be 4x increased.

I'm still hesitant about the low power requirements. Will Nintendo really have it run in two different modes, docked and undocked. Or is it going to have worse battery life than the gamepad. And how will those mobile chips' performance compare to console apu. Will it be worth upgrading for Zelda, or might as well wait for the price to come down and play Zelda on the WiiU.

SvennoJ said:
Miyamotoo said:

It not only about that, but X2 because much more efficient architecture can run chip at higher clock with staying power efficient.

Switch will most likely have quad ARM A57 CPU running at higher clocks thats will most likely be several times stronger and more capable CPU than Wii Us CPU, it will have most likely 3x more RAM memory than Wii U, GPU will also be noticeable stronger, memory bandwidth will be around similar (I cant imagine that Nintendo will go slower memory for new console than previous had, especially because Nintendo always pay attention on memory performance).

So how exactly Switch can be just 1.4x Wii U!?

Apparently my 350 gflops for WiiU was incorrect. If it really is only 176 gflops and the Switch does get the Tegra X2 than 3x is possible. The WiiU would only have the advantage in 70 GB/s edram for rendering, yet main memory bandwidth would be 4x increased.

I'm still hesitant about the low power requirements. Will Nintendo really have it run in two different modes, docked and undocked. Or is it going to have worse battery life than the gamepad. And how will those mobile chips' performance compare to console apu. Will it be worth upgrading for Zelda, or might as well wait for the price to come down and play Zelda on the WiiU.

It's not really imagine that Switch outside dock runes at lower clocks because battery and because there is no need for full strength in handheld mode, while in dock runs at full clocks (also its assumed that in dock there is active cooling), and run for instance same Nintendo game in 1080p on TV in docked mode compared to 720p Switch outside dock.