By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Emily Rogers: Switch has 4GB of ram in RETAIL units, leaked specs might not be farfetched

SvennoJ said:
Ganoncrotch said:

So much this, not only would the system with the potential processing power we've heard in rumours suggesting it will have never be really capable of filling up 8+GB of memory, Ram needs to have current in it all the time, you can lower the frequency of the memory but you cannot dynamically power down certain banks of RAM inside a system if it isn't used, it has to be powered to still register as 0's if it isn't filled, so yeah not only would doubling the memory beyond what the system would ever use not boost performance .... it would cost battery life by a fairly large amount.

Also consider the fact this system is going to be using games on solid state memory, the bandwidth increase using Carts could be massive, I really hope Nintendo don't allow people think they're taking a step backwards to cartridge based game storage, but instead let people know that they are using carts for the solid state bandwidth boost and also how it should allow the system to play games without the need of installations as we have on the other 2 systems on the market now.

Where can I buy these affordable magic speed sd cards? Except the very expensive U3 UHS-II cards, they're all slower than a 5400 rpm hdd. Yes you do eliminate the seek speed, but if a game is optimized for reading from HDD it will outperform a cheap mass produced sd card.

Hopefully it will support UHS-II SDXC, it's $90 and up for a 128GB card but that will come down. Those can actually write as fast as a 5400 rpm drive and read over twice as fast. But I doubt games will come on those...

I more meant that I hope they focus on the positive aspects of cartridge based games, and don't let people fall into the thought that Nintendo are taking a step back in terms of the technology they are using to the point where FF7 would have cost €1000 to buy on the N64, that sort of mindset could hurt the system if people view Cartridge based games as old and out of date.

While they are costly too... keep in mind that the carts from old school systems also allowed you to insert additional power into a system since they effectively worked as daughterboards for the console... I can't imagine them managing to fit a new version of the tegra chip into a game card, but the potential is there for extra hardware in a cart which you cannot insert on a CD based system.

Super FX chip in 2017 would be pretty awesome to see again!

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network
Ganoncrotch said:
Trunkin said:
So i take it from this thread that people seriously expected to get xbone lvl performence out of a handheld? In 2017? Man, i hope you guys are just concern trolling.

OT: 4gigs of ram is plenty for what the system is packing. Anything more would be like putting 8gigs of RAM in a gtx 750ti. There would be no point. The gpu could never make use of all of it.

So much this, not only would the system with the potential processing power we've heard in rumours suggesting it will have never be really capable of filling up 8+GB of memory, Ram needs to have current in it all the time, you can lower the frequency of the memory but you cannot dynamically power down certain banks of RAM inside a system if it isn't used, it has to be powered to still register as 0's if it isn't filled, so yeah not only would doubling the memory beyond what the system would ever use not boost performance .... it would cost battery life by a fairly large amount.

Also consider the fact this system is going to be using games on solid state memory, the bandwidth increase using Carts could be massive, I really hope Nintendo don't allow people think they're taking a step backwards to cartridge based game storage, but instead let people know that they are using carts for the solid state bandwidth boost and also how it should allow the system to play games without the need of installations as we have on the other 2 systems on the market now.

Y'know, I totally forgot about the additional strain extra RAM would place on that limited battery. Good point.

One of the things that excited me about the hybrid rumor when it first started circulating was the idea that Nintendo would be going "back" to cartridge media. Running games off disks is really unbearably slow, and having to install every single game is annoying. Cartridges are the only realistic option for purely physical gaming going forward, and it removes my primary motivation for buying games digitally in the first place. They'd better market it right...

I'm sure Gamestop is ecstatic about this, too.

bunchanumbers said:
curl-6 said:

Let's face it though, that was never going to happen.

The technology to cram a generational leap above Wii U into a portable form factor just isn't there yet.

But it has more than been there for consoles. And cheap too. It wouldn't have been hard for Nintendo to make a actual console. Instead they made a tablet that is a fraction of the power of a console, and declared it a home console.

They definitely could've made a regular console that blew Wii U out of the water. Switch being what it is though, a portable that connects to your TV, means a generational leap over Wii U graphics is not possible.

I am understanding this correct though, people are questioning a rumour of 4GB of ram in the thought line that if it was to ship with the same number of GB of ram in the PS4 then it would also by proxy have the same CPU/GPU power... in a handheld?

So the people who want that handheld are fine with the idea of a handheld with about 10-15 mins of battery power? and so much active cooling fans it would probably make it difficult to hold it and stop its fans from taking off out of your hands.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Trunkin said:
Ganoncrotch said:

Y'know, I totally forgot about the additional strain extra RAM would place on that limited battery. Good point.

One of the things that excited me about the hybrid rumor when it first started circulating was the idea that Nintendo would be going "back" to cartridge media. Running games off disks is really unbearably slow, and having to install every single game is annoying. Cartridges are the only realistic option for purely physical gaming going forward, and it removes my primary motivation for buying games digitally in the first place. They'd better market it right...

That is the problem right there, we don't even run games from the discs now, they just happen to be sitting in the blu ray drive of either the X1 or PS4 all the work is being done by the HDD inside the system, after the initial install and the fast check that the correct disc is in the drive, the blu ray disc spins down after a couple of mins of play in the PS4 at least.

Consoles right now (ps4/X1) are PC's before we had CDkeys which allowed us to shelf the game discs after installing them at least. Because of how much the PS4 is designed as though it was going to be capable of working with a CDkey style system I wouldn't be half surprised if during the production of the system there was a point where such a system was in place and Sony changed that plan very rapidly when the X1 reveal turned people so sour against the idea of losing used game potential so now we have the PS4 which basically just needs there to be a disc in the drive just to open the game and nothing else.

Yeah I'm sure if Nintendo are popular I think Gamestop consider the Nintendo gamer as someone who is more likely to come into their store and purchase a cartridge based game than a Sony / MS gamer is likely to buy from either PSN or XBLA

Around the Network

Kinda what I thought all along. This will be a pretty wicked portable if you're looking for something along the lines of a portable Wii U/Sony Vita successor and don't mind the lower battery life and tablet-size form factor (instead of the DS/3DS stuff).

But it'll likely be a mediocre/average home console.

The amount of RAM isn't even what you guys should be worried about ... it's the bandwidth of that RAM. If it's 25GB/sec ... no chance you're getting PS4/XB1 style games .... not a chance in hell. Games will have to be significantly downgraded. eDRAM does not work on a mobile 14/16nm chip (which is what the Wii U had), neither would eSRAM (what the XBox One has), takes up too much die space and runs what too hot.

Ganoncrotch said:
Trunkin said:

That is the problem right there, we don't even run games from the discs now, they just happen to be sitting in the blu ray drive of either the X1 or PS4 all the work is being done by the HDD inside the system, after the initial install and the fast check that the correct disc is in the drive, the blu ray disc spins down after a couple of mins of play in the PS4 at least.

Consoles right now (ps4/X1) are PC's before we had CDkeys which allowed us to shelf the game discs after installing them at least. Because of how much the PS4 is designed as though it was going to be capable of working with a CDkey style system I wouldn't be half surprised if during the production of the system there was a point where such a system was in place and Sony changed that plan very rapidly when the X1 reveal turned people so sour against the idea of losing used game potential so now we have the PS4 which basically just needs there to be a disc in the drive just to open the game and nothing else.

Yeah I'm sure if Nintendo are popular I think Gamestop consider the Nintendo gamer as someone who is more likely to come into their store and purchase a cartridge based game than a Sony / MS gamer is likely to buy from either PSN or XBLA

Yup, yup, it's just a shame that the HDDs XBO and PS4 ship with are so slow. I would expect better performance from a cartridge than from those 5400rpm drives.

IIRC in the early days of CD keys you had to keep the disc in the drive to play the game anyway, so consoles are basically already there. Like, one step away from doing away with physical copies once and for all, once the public warms up to the idea a little more. And yeah, I thought there were very strong rumors suggesting that Sony had some kind of DRM system planned, at least if those were true they were smart enough to can that crap before E3.

Trunkin said:
Ganoncrotch said:

Yup, yup, it's just a shame that the HDDs XBO and PS4 ship with are so slow. I would expect better performance from a cartridge than from those 5400rpm drives.

IIRC in the early days of CD keys you had to keep the disc in the drive to play the game anyway, so consoles are basically already there. Like, one step away from doing away with physical copies once and for all, once the public warms up to the idea a little more. And yeah, I thought there were very strong rumors suggesting that Sony had some kind of DRM system planned, at least if those were true they were smart enough to can that crap before E3.

As they walked towards the stage stepping over the lynched bodies of the X1 reveal team.... "hey guys.... maybe we like used games?"

So 3.2GB is rumored for games which is 3x what WiiU had reserved for games. It's also about half the 6GB the other two leave for games. Not bad but will cause more work for devs.

Really the NS is proving to be a big upgrade from WiiU.

superchunk said:
So 3.2GB is rumored for games which is 3x what WiiU had reserved for games. It's also about half the 6GB the other two leave for games. Not bad but will cause more work for devs.

Really the NS is proving to be a big upgrade from WiiU.

Don't think it'll be a ton of work for devs, they're simply not going to bother with a lot of PS4/XB1 ports.

I think what you will see on NS is a lot of PS3/360 ports. Lots of developers have perfectly good PS3/360 games that could be ported over for portable play and NS should make that fairly easy. We saw Skyrim already in the trailer, which is a 5 year old PS3/360 game and NBA 2K which is also being made for the PS3/360 still. 

Those two titles being shown as the third party stuff probably makes a lot of sense.