By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Digital Foundry Retro: Metroid Prime

Really one of the best games of all time, and probably the best GC game for me above the Zeldas and smash melee.

Around the Network

It was really impressive.

If Retro managed to make such a beautiful game on the GameCube, I hope they can come up with something groundbreaking on NS, which is probably like... 100x stronger.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

LipeJJ said:

If Retro managed to make such a beautiful game on the GameCube, I hope they can come up with something groundbreaking on NS, which is probably like... 100x stronger.

Diddy Kong Racing 2 on the NS will look so amazing!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

LipeJJ said:

I wouldn't hold my breath. Retro haven't made a game that really pushed graphics tech since Prime 3 in 2007.

AZWification said:
LipeJJ said:

Diddy Kong Racing 2 on the NS will look so amazing!

Hopefully it does! DKR is such an amazing game! 

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
LipeJJ said:

I wouldn't hold my breath. Retro haven't made a game that really pushed graphics tech since Prime 3 in 2007.

Well no, but they do still  have some great technical skills.  Tropical Freeze is no a technical show piece due to genre, but it's still very gorgeous.  It will be interesting to see what they are working on.

Nuvendil said:
curl-6 said:

Well no, but they do still  have some great technical skills.  Tropical Freeze is no a technical show piece due to genre, but it's still very gorgeous.  It will be interesting to see what they are working on.

I didn't say they're not technically skilled, just that they haven't really stretched those muscles since Prime 3. DKCR and Tropical Freeze may have been smooth and colourful, but they weren't pushing any demanding effects or anything. 

curl-6 said:
Nuvendil said:

I didn't say they're not technically skilled, just that they haven't really stretched those muscles since Prime 3. DKCR and Tropical Freeze may have been smooth and colourful, but they weren't pushing any demanding effects or anything. 

True.  When it comes to pushing boundries, it seems Monolith Soft and the Zelda team are the two big ones at Nintendo (though the Mario Kart 8 team isn't sitting on its hands and the Mario team still has some muscle).  I do hope Retro's new project is something ambitious.  I would love a new Metroid Prime trilogy, one that takes an appropriate story telling approach with regards to Samus.  There's a ton of story potential post Fusion and I would love to see that explored.  A good story follow up to Fusion (which I quite liked for its narrative) and with good exploration and atmosphere like the Prime games (especially Prime 1) would be my ideal console Metroid game. 

And if not that, a new IP would be very good. 

Nuvendil said:
curl-6 said:

True.  When it comes to pushing boundries, it seems Monolith Soft and the Zelda team are the two big ones at Nintendo (though the Mario Kart 8 team isn't sitting on its hands and the Mario team still has some muscle).  I do hope Retro's new project is something ambitious.  I would love a new Metroid Prime trilogy, one that takes an appropriate story telling approach with regards to Samus.  There's a ton of story potential post Fusion and I would love to see that explored.  A good story follow up to Fusion (which I quite liked for its narrative) and with good exploration and atmosphere like the Prime games (especially Prime 1) would be my ideal console Metroid game. 

Yeah, I would really like to see Retro take on a new IP, a HD Metroid, or some other project that has them pushing the graphical envelope again. The Prime games were some of the best looking on their respective hardware, at 60fps to boot.

curl-6 said:
Nuvendil said:

Yeah, I would really like to see Retro take on a new IP, a HD Metroid, or some other project that has them pushing the graphical envelope again. The Prime games were some of the best looking on their respective hardware, at 60fps to boot.

Yeah. Also, if they do a new Metroid Prime, they need to get whoever did the creature designs for Xenoblade Chronicles X on board.  Really think a lot of the insectoid ones especially would fit right in with Metroid.