By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Uncharted 4 surpasses Halo 5 in global total sales

Miyamotoo said:
Swordmasterman said:

There are people who purchase the PS4 for other games and won't purchase Uncharted 4. Even if those people never purchased a PS4,  it would have little to no effect on Sales.

So, the 10+ millions of people who purchase Fifa affected Uncharted Sales in a level for it to sell more ? 75-80% of All Halo's sales are on the USA, the Xbox One is/was ahead of the Xbox 360 in the USA. The game usually sells 3 millions first week on the USA, but it only did 800K and something with the bundles(even with a bigger install base). It did enought to chart in the next month (since the first week only had 3 days). But was unable to chart in the next months.

Isn't that strange, a game that sells 75-80% on 1 country (maybe even more) only sold 1.5-1.8 at Retail in 3 months but 5 millions worldwide ? Xbox's install base is bigger than the Xbox 360 had in the USA, much smaller  outside of it. How is that even possible ?

Of Course, but you can assume that current attach rate for U4 will be similar for PS4 bigger instal base, same goes for Halo 5 and XB1.

Attach rate is a silly thing and should only be used in total software of each plataform, not with individual games. It is like drawing a straight line of growth based on previous growth.

Gamecube sold 22 millions. Wii sold 100 millions, that is equal to 380-400% of growth. Should the Wii U have sold 460-500 Millions of units by that logic ?

Around the Network
Swordmasterman said:
Miyamotoo said:

Of Course, but you can assume that current attach rate for U4 will be similar for PS4 bigger instal base, same goes for Halo 5 and XB1.

Attach rate is a silly thing and should only be used in total software of each plataform, not with individual games. It is like drawing a straight line of growth based on previous growth.

Gamecube sold 22 millions. Wii sold 100 millions, that is equal to 380-400% of growth. Should the Wii U have sold 460-500 Millions of units by that logic ?

Lol, who said anuthing about growth of next platform or next game compared to previous!?

I talking about curent platform and curent game. U4 on PS4 curently has attach rate of around 9% on instal base of around 45m, we can assume that will be similar attach rate for U4 even when PS4 has sales of around 80m, same goes for Halo 5 attach rate on XB1 instal base.

Jazz2K said:
DonFerrari said:

Yet X360 more than doubled the userbase from Halo 3 to Halo 4 and sales dropped 30%, so no, there is nothing to grant 20% of userbase would own H5 and 10% UC4 independent of the userbase. Considering both are platform holder games made to push HW, Halo not making X1 sales accelerate just shows how the interest diminished. Halo were growing franchise from 1 to 3 and then declined with 343, it's as simple as that. While Uncharted is still on the rise.

I do think there are more variables to the amount of games sold on one console but to refute userbase is illogical. There will be games that will certainly sell to few people regardless of the userbase just like there are exceptions like Mario Kart WiiU and Halo 3... but what is the reason most multiplats sell better on the larger userbase? I know perfectly there are exceptions but to say userbase has no effects on sales is wishful thinking.  

No one said it have no effect, but it isn't as you and others are claiming and none of you were able to provide even one positive evidence. 

Doubling the userbase could improve 10-20% the sw sales? quite possible,  50-100%? totally unlikely.

Miyamotoo said:
DonFerrari said:

You mean illogical right? Most franchise you look at will show stable sales on very different HW sales so you are basing this on thinking there is any direct correlation that you can make and not only supositions.

No, totally logical. I talk about facts not about if same game or franchaise have stable sale. Like I wrote: game will sell better on bigger instal base than on smaller, clear fact. Imagine that PS4 has instal base of around 20m, logical assumption (and following current attachment rate for that specific game) would be that U4 would sell around 2m instead of 4m on 40m instal base. There is nothing illogical here.

I already wrote that comparing sales of two games on two platforms where one platform have twice bigger instal base than other doesn't make any sense.

There is no logic in assume ps4 userbase were half uc4 would also be half or that x1 sale Doubling would lead to double sales.

Would splatoon sell 50M if released on Wii? would halo 5 sell 20M if released on x360?

Still waiting a proof of this logic of yours. 

coolbeans said:
DonFerrari said:

I don't remember being rude or anything to you, but if I were sorry.

I appreciate that.  I shouldn't have gotten nasty either.

No problem. 

Miyamotoo said:
Swordmasterman said:

Lol, who said anuthing about growth of next platform or next game compared to previous!?

I talking about curent platform and curent game. U4 on PS4 curently has attach rate of around 9% on instal base of around 45m, we can assume that will be similar attach rate for U4 even when PS4 has sales of around 80m, same goes for Halo 5 attach rate on XB1 instal base.

Why can we assume that? you are still making this claim with no proof or root in reality. 

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:

Miyamotoo said:

No, totally logical. I talk about facts not about if same game or franchaise have stable sale. Like I wrote: game will sell better on bigger instal base than on smaller, clear fact. Imagine that PS4 has instal base of around 20m, logical assumption (and following current attachment rate for that specific game) would be that U4 would sell around 2m instead of 4m on 40m instal base. There is nothing illogical here.

I already wrote that comparing sales of two games on two platforms where one platform have twice bigger instal base than other doesn't make any sense.

There is no logic in assume ps4 userbase were half uc4 would also be half or that x1 sale Doubling would lead to double sales.

Would splatoon sell 50M if released on Wii? would halo 5 sell 20M if released on x360?

coolbeans said:

I appreciate that.  I shouldn't have gotten nasty either.

No problem. 

Miyamotoo said:

Why can we assume that? you are still making this claim with no proof or root in reality. 

Yes actually totally have sense, especially if you look attach rate.

You missing point, it not about point how much would Splatoon would sell on Wii (totaly difrent platform and time), or Halo 5 on Xbox 360, but for instance how much Splatoon would sell on twice bigger Wii U install base, obvious and more logical answer would be around twice better. If instal base of Wii U is twice lower, sales for games would be around twice lower, including Splatoon. For instance I were pay attention on sales of MK8, attach rate of MK8 on Wii U was constantly around 50-60% (you basically had on 1m Wii U sold consoles around 500-600k sold copies of MK8), that basically proves that my point, higher instal base higher sales for game.

Onother example that proves my point, look at sales of Call of Duty: Black Ops 3, on PS3 /Xbox360 and on PS4/XB1. You will see that sales of that game are identical on PS3 and Xbox360, but that game is sold twice better on PS4 than on XB1. Why do you think is like that!? Beacuse of instal base offcourse, PS3 and Xbox360 have identical instal base and sales of that game are identical, while PS4 has twice bigger instal base than XB1 and that directly effecting on sold copies, because its logical that same game will sale better on bigger instal base than on lower.

http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=Call+of+Duty%3A+Black+Ops+3

You basically saying that instal base does not effect on sales of games!? You trying to say that U4 sales would be same on PS4 if instal base were 30m, 20m or 10m, instead of 45m!? Will U4 continue to sell, offcourse, beacuse more people will buy console and some of them will buy U4, basicly higher instal base wil affect on higher sales of game, and if we look curent attach rate around 10% of new owners will buy U4.

Miyamotoo said:
DonFerrari said:

No problem. 

You missing point, it not about point how much would Splatoon would sell on Wii (totaly difrent platform and time), or Halo 5 on Xbox 360, but for instance how much Splatoon would sell on twice bigger Wii U install base, obvious and more logical answer would be around twice better. If instal base of Wii U is twice lower, sales for games would be around twice lower, including Splatoon. For instance I were pay attention on sales of MK8, attach rate of MK8 on Wii U was constantly around 50-60% (you basically had on 1m Wii U sold consoles around 500-600k sold copies of MK8), that basically proves that my point, higher instal base higher sales for game.

Onother example that proves my point, look at sales of Call of Duty: Black Ops 3, on PS3 /Xbox360 and on PS4/XB1. You will see that sales of that game are identical on PS3 and Xbox360, but that game is sold twice better on PS4 than on XB1. Why do you think is like that!? Beacuse of instal base offcourse, PS3 and Xbox360 have identical instal base and sales of that game are identical, while PS4 has twice bigger instal base than XB1 and that directly effecting on sold copies, because its logical that same game will sale better on bigger instal base than on lower.

You basically saying that instal base does not effect on sales of games!? You trying to say that U4 sales would be same on PS4 if instal base were 30m, 20m or 10m, instead of 45m!? Will U4 continue to sell, offcourse, beacuse more people will buy console and some of them will buy U4, basicly higher instal base wil affect on higher sales of game, and if we look curent attach rate around 10% of new owners will buy U4.

no one here said it have no impact, what we have said over and over is that the impact is nowhere what you try to imply. 

I believe you also have never heard of marginal cost and "infinite demand". 

And yes I don't think ps4 being 20, 40 or 100M would deviate much the end sales of uc4 from the 8-10m. but going on your argument it would be 5, 10, 25M sales on those userbase, does it sem logical? so how do you explain that uc1 through 3 haven't increased sales on the same ratio of the userbase.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
Miyamotoo said:

no one here said it have no impact, what we have said over and over is that the impact is nowhere what you try to imply. 

And yes I don't think ps4 being 20, 40 or 100M would deviate much the end sales of uc4 from the 8-10m. but going on your argument it would be 5, 10, 25M sales on those userbase, does it sem logical? so how do you explain that uc1 through 3 haven't increased sales on the same ratio of the userbase.

If you look at current attach rate of game you could easily calculate how much approximately sales of of that game would be with bigger instal base. I gave you concrete example, twice bigger instal base means around twice bigger bigger sales of specific game.

So you saying that sales of U4 would be similar despite if PS4 installed base is 50m or 100m!? Its not about U1 and PS3 its about U4 and PS4 and about Halo 5 and XB1.

Normchacho said:
Azzanation said:

Do you understand how sales work? Uncharted 4 is outselling Halo 5 right now on a weekly basis because it’s still fresh. That’s because Halo 5 is a year old. Sales don’t pick up steam after launch. UC4 is also claiming dimensioning sales. Which game will have the longest legs will be the interesting story. As of right now UC4 hasn’t outsold Halo 5s lifetime sales as its been on 4m copies for the past couple of months. UC4 has just reached that milestone. That’s just Physical sales.

As for the Digital sales debate, MS claimed Halo 5 is there bestselling Xbox Live game *at the time* so expect an increase of something around the 20% mark on top of its physical sales. Which means Halo 5 is beyond the 4.2m VGchart numbers. So add another 800,000 copies to Halo 5 if MS’s Claims are true and it’s their bestselling Live game which is around the 20% mark.

Halo 5 being the disappointment it is to the franchise, it still keeps up with Sony’s best game which has double the User base. Halo 5 is considered on the bottom of the sales list in the Halo universe and will probably still reach the 7 to 8million milestone. UC4 will probably end up being the same.

It shouldn’t be a surprise UC4 has sold more in half the time because again it has twice the User base. Halo 5 came out on a platform gamers were neglecting and wasn’t as big of a hit compared to its predecessors yet still managed to pull out good numbers.

Until we get info on UC4s digital sales, it has not outsold Halo 5. We know Halo 5 has done extremely well with the digital side.

Halo is not the franchise it used to be. < Yeah yeah, we said the same thing when Halo 4 come out. Its sales say otherwise.

Just to add Halo 5 also has a stronger MP and is huge in Esports so it will continue to sell, might not be big numbers but will add up. Halo 4 did the same.

1. Yes. I explicitly said that it was selling faster because it hasn't been on sale as long. Which means that it's sales lead will only grow in the coming months because it has managed to sell more retail copies than Halo 5 in less than half the time.

2. I don't understand what you mean by "its been at 4m for the past couple of months"

3. Halo 5 was the best selling game digitally on the Xbox One first week at the time. which is great, but we don't really know what that means long term.

4. So essentially what you're saying is that until you are given 100% concrete proof that Uncharted 4 has outsold Halo 5. You're going to just assume Halo 5 has sold better?

5. Critically Halo 4 doesn't measure up to the other mainline Halo games, and with 5 sales seem to be reflecting the dip in quality since 343 took over the franchise.

1- What do you expect?  UC4 has twice the User base and the game is still fresh on the market for new PS4 owners. It’s going to outsell Halo 5 because Halo 5 is a year old.  UC4 is also going to be bundled so expect a lot of giveaway sales. *If Halo 5 was on the PS4 than it would be selling a lot better than the XB1 version which means it will be outselling UC4 on the PS4*

2- They announced Halo 5 sold over 4m a while ago, Digital sales included would lead to a much bigger number now. I highly doubt its sitting on 4.2m. Especially since it has been a top selling Digital game for Xbox. *You want to know why I stress this point. Because I brought Halo 5 Digital and so have all my hard-core Halo friends. Every one I know in Australia brought this game digitally* in saying that I am not saying it didn’t sell physically well. However unlike the 360 days where we all went out and brought the game on Disc, this gen most of us changed and went digital. To not include Digital sales is excluding a lot of the Halo faithful who actually brought this game. Now I am only assuming numbers here but I can bet you Halo 5 has sold well on the Digital front and I am not talking about 50k increase either. Possibly half a million+ sounds about right if we take in 343 statement.

3- That should say a lot about my previous statement. *Did UC4 top its digital sales count? How did that sell digitally? I’m curious*

4- So we all want to assume that UC4 outsold Halo 5 based off VG Numbers and excluding digital sales where one game seems to have done well in? Ok but that’s twisting then rules just to gain a small victory that isn’t even official. We can guarantee Halo 5 isn’t sitting on 4.2m, we know it’s a lot more. For all we know it could be sitting on 4.9m.

5- Sooooo Halo has been on the decline since 343? You do know that Halo 4 is made by 343 correct? That Halo 4 sits as the 3rd bestselling Halo game of all time just under Reach by less than 20k? How is that in decline when 343 have only made 2 mainline Halo games where 1 is a huge success and the other is just a success? Halo 5 will most likely end up out outselling Halo 1.. I don’t understand this decline statement. I’ll give Halo 5 the benefit of the doubt since its decline on sales is more to do with the platform it’s sold on. No one will argue that Halo 5 would have sold better on the PS4, so that tells a lot. Halo 5 practically carried the XB1, not many games can do that. Its attach rate is up there with the best this gen. Also 343 Halo games have made a lot more money so I am sure MS don’t care about how many discs they sold, they will be looking at their bank accounts and seeing blockbuster results. Physically sales don’t determine a games success over the other. I always love these statments when gamers assumed something is in decline. Halo 5 made a small fortune for MS and Halo 6 will be no different.

Miyamotoo said:
DonFerrari said:

No problem. 

That isn't how it works, we aren't talking about oil sales or any other thing. The consumer has hundreds/thousands of games to chose from and Installbase's influence has a limit in those sales. But, for you, it has unlimited and exactly proportional influence.

Mario Kart sold nearly the same on GmaeCube than it did on the Wii U, won't take that into account ?

Metal Gear Solid's franchise has almost the same number of sales between plataforms with 100-155-80 millions of installbase.

Call of Duty is selling more on the PS4 because   it is a worldwide success while the Xbox is just a USA and UK's success. Playstation is very popular in  Europe, as always, where Uncharted has the majority of sales. The Xbox is more popular now on the USA than it was when Halo 3 launched, 75-80% of Halo sales are on the USA. But, even so, it underperformed and sold less than 1/3 of what Halo 3 did on launch with some millions more  people to purchase in the market where it sells the most.

Azzanation said:
Normchacho said:

1. Yes. I explicitly said that it was selling faster because it hasn't been on sale as long. Which means that it's sales lead will only grow in the coming months because it has managed to sell more retail copies than Halo 5 in less than half the time.

2. I don't understand what you mean by "its been at 4m for the past couple of months"

3. Halo 5 was the best selling game digitally on the Xbox One first week at the time. which is great, but we don't really know what that means long term.

4. So essentially what you're saying is that until you are given 100% concrete proof that Uncharted 4 has outsold Halo 5. You're going to just assume Halo 5 has sold better?

5. Critically Halo 4 doesn't measure up to the other mainline Halo games, and with 5 sales seem to be reflecting the dip in quality since 343 took over the franchise.

1- What do you expect?  UC4 has twice the User base and the game is still fresh on the market for new PS4 owners. It’s going to outsell Halo 5 because Halo 5 is a year old.  UC4 is also going to be bundled so expect a lot of giveaway sales. *If Halo 5 was on the PS4 than it would be selling a lot better than the XB1 version which means it will be outselling UC4 on the PS4*

2- They announced Halo 5 sold over 4m a while ago, Digital sales included would lead to a much bigger number now. I highly doubt its sitting on 4.2m. Especially since it has been a top selling Digital game for Xbox. *You want to know why I stress this point. Because I brought Halo 5 Digital and so have all my hard-core Halo friends. Every one I know in Australia brought this game digitally* in saying that I am not saying it didn’t sell physically well. However unlike the 360 days where we all went out and brought the game on Disc, this gen most of us changed and went digital. To not include Digital sales is excluding a lot of the Halo faithful who actually brought this game. Now I am only assuming numbers here but I can bet you Halo 5 has sold well on the Digital front and I am not talking about 50k increase either. Possibly half a million+ sounds about right if we take in 343 statement.

3- That should say a lot about my previous statement. *Did UC4 top its digital sales count? How did that sell digitally? I’m curious*

4- So we all want to assume that UC4 outsold Halo 5 based off VG Numbers and excluding digital sales where one game seems to have done well in? Ok but that’s twisting then rules just to gain a small victory that isn’t even official. We can guarantee Halo 5 isn’t sitting on 4.2m, we know it’s a lot more. For all we know it could be sitting on 4.9m.

5- Sooooo Halo has been on the decline since 343? You do know that Halo 4 is made by 343 correct? That Halo 4 sits as the 3rd bestselling Halo game of all time just under Reach by less than 20k? How is that in decline when 343 have only made 2 mainline Halo games where 1 is a huge success and the other is just a success? Halo 5 will most likely end up out outselling Halo 1.. I don’t understand this decline statement. I’ll give Halo 5 the benefit of the doubt since its decline on sales is more to do with the platform it’s sold on. No one will argue that Halo 5 would have sold better on the PS4, so that tells a lot. Halo 5 practically carried the XB1, not many games can do that. Its attach rate is up there with the best this gen. Also 343 Halo games have made a lot more money so I am sure MS don’t care about how many discs they sold, they will be looking at their bank accounts and seeing blockbuster results. Physically sales don’t determine a games success over the other. I always love these statments when gamers assumed something is in decline. Halo 5 made a small fortune for MS and Halo 6 will be no different.

Why would a game that sold officially more than 2.7 millions first week won't be able to surpass a game that did 4-5 millions of Shipped/who knows what it is in the best sales season of the year ?

As far as we know Uncharted 4 is outselling Halo 5  weekly and it is probably outselling it Digitally.

I don't remember if Uncharted 4 was the best selling digital game of the month for the Playstation 4.  But if it  was indeed the best selling,  it outsold Overwatch and Doom's digital sales. And that is a great feat.

i Checked, and it indeed was the best selling digital game of May. That alone isn't enough proof of High Digital Attachment for Uncharted 4 ?

Swordmasterman said:
Miyamotoo said:

That isn't how it works, we aren't talking about oil sales or any other thing. The consumer has hundreds/thousands of games to chose from and Installbase's influence has a limit in those sales. But, for you, it has unlimited and exactly proportional influence.

Mario Kart sold nearly the same on GmaeCube than it did on the Wii U, won't take that into account ?

Metal Gear Solid's franchise has almost the same number of sales between plataforms with 100-155-80 millions of installbase.

Call of Duty is selling more on the PS4 because   it is a worldwide success while the Xbox is just a USA and UK's success. Playstation is very popular in  Europe, as always, where Uncharted has the majority of sales. The Xbox is more popular now on the USA than it was when Halo 3 launched, 75-80% of Halo sales are on the USA. But, even so, it underperformed and sold less than 1/3 of what Halo 3 did on launch with some millions more  people to purchase in the market where it sells the most.

You missing point, how much MK GC would sell if instal base of GC is higher, or how much MK8 would sell if Wii U instal base is twice of actual instal base. Thats my point when people comparing sales of U4 on instal base of 45m and Halo 5 on instal base of 23m.

Call Of Duty selling exactly twice more on PS4 than XB1 because there are twice more people having PS4 instead of XB1, attach rate for that game is identical on PS4 and XB1.