By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Uncharted 4 surpasses Halo 5 in global total sales

Miyamotoo said:
DonFerrari said:

We already had several people showing that attach ratio doesn't accompany total HW sold. So although there is more potential buyers they don't translate to sales when userbase increase.

Halo 3 sold better than all other Halos on X360 even on a much smaller userbase than the others (also smaller than X1 and still sold 3x more). Uncharted was selling around 7M on 85M userbase of PS3 (started smaller on UC1 and closed bigger on UC3, a part could be attributed to userbase, but most would go for the franchise growing popularity) but now we have 5M on a userbase that is half of PS3, so it still shows that the franchise have grow even more.

Double of instal base does not mean equal exactly double of sales of some game, but sales would definitely be noticeably better with twice bigger instal base. So I really dont see point of comparing sales of some game where one has twice bigger instal base.

Define noticeably better (and of course ignore that the other sw launched on a holiday and had 3x the time to sell). And while at that comprove your thesis instead of just throwing assumptions. Halo 3 sold 50% more than Halo 4 and was in less than half of that userbase, sold 3x more than Halo 5 and were in a 1/3 of the userbase... so how noticeably better would it done with the other userbase? Perhaps nothing?

Miyamotoo said:
Okie_Loki said:

Halo was arguably a more well known franchise and had beginnings before Uncharted. 

I didn't see too many people making your argument when PS3 games were being outsold by 360 despite the 360 having a considerable lead in sales. It was always "haha Sony lost this gen" by the so called "other side." This is why these console wars are silly and pathetic. And having a 1.5 year lead doesnt mean anything? Hm... people make their own facts I guess. 

PS3 and Xbox360 has similar instal base, PS4 has double instal base over XB1. Having double instal base definitely mean much more than having 1.5 year lead in sales for some game.

No... PS3 at first had 0 HW versus what X360 already had from 1,5 year ww advantage and it took quite some years for the userbase to be similar.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
Veknoid_Outcast said:
Kerotan said:
Holy mother of God. So uncharted series was the "halo killer" after all.

Out for a lot less time and 1 holiday less. Uncharted 4 will push on and outsell it by a large margin. Large enough that if we include digital we'll know it's outsold it for sure.

I think 343 was the "Halo killer."

Badum Tsshh..

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

I guess I'm the only one not impressed by both these franchises' sales. They both haven't even outsold Splatoon yet, let alone Mario Kart 8. And that's on one of the worst selling home consoles.

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Alkibiádēs said:
I guess I'm the only one not impressed by both these franchises' sales. They both haven't even outsold Splatoon yet, let alone Mario Kart 8. And that's on one of the worst selling home consoles.

Splatoon and MK8 are selling on a console with a userbase composed almost exclusively of people who'd buy anything as long as it's made by Nintendo.

Hynad said:
Alkibiádēs said:

Splatoon and MK8 are selling on a console with a userbase composed almost exclusively of people who'd buy anything as long as it's made by Nintendo.

Then why hasn't Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze crossed the 2 million barrier yet? Why has Pikmin 3 barely sold over one million? Why hasn't Xenoblade Chronicles X even reached a million yet?

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Around the Network
Hynad said:
Alkibiádēs said:

Lame excuse to justify the succes of a totally new IP that has sold way more than long time consolidated Nintendo franchises. That game would have been a terrific sucess on any console. 

DonFerrari said:
Miyamotoo said:

Double of instal base does not mean equal exactly double of sales of some game, but sales would definitely be noticeably better with twice bigger instal base. So I really dont see point of comparing sales of some game where one has twice bigger instal base.

Define noticeably better (and of course ignore that the other sw launched on a holiday and had 3x the time to sell). And while at that comprove your thesis instead of just throwing assumptions. Halo 3 sold 50% more than Halo 4 and was in less than half of that userbase, sold 3x more than Halo 5 and were in a 1/3 of the userbase... so how noticeably better would it done with the other userbase? Perhaps nothing?

Miyamotoo said:

PS3 and Xbox360 has similar instal base, PS4 has double instal base over XB1. Having double instal base definitely mean much more than having 1.5 year lead in sales for some game.

No... PS3 at first had 0 HW versus what X360 already had from 1,5 year ww advantage and it took quite some years for the userbase to be similar.

To define "Noticeably better", at least 50% better sales, theoretically it could 100% better sales.

Like I wrote,  I really dont see point of comparing sales of 2 games on two platforms where one has twice bigger instal base.

Hynad said:
Alkibiádēs said:

Relly!? Than look at sales of Mario Tennis, Amiibo Festival, Kirby and for instance Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Tipping Stars, reality is that great Nintendo games have great sales. And Splatoon having better sales than Smash Bros definitely telling something.

PS4 has sold twice as many consoles than the Xbox One. PS4 larger user base is helping the sales of Uncharted 4. 10% of PS4 owners have purchased Uncharted 4. 20% of Xbox One owners have purchased Halo 5.

Dark_Lord_2008 said:
PS4 has sold twice as many consoles than the Xbox One. PS4 larger user base is helping the sales of Uncharted 4. 10% of PS4 owners have purchased Uncharted 4. 20% of Xbox One owners have purchased Halo 5.

Halo 5 has been out twice as long compared to Uncharted 4.  Halo 5 has been out for 1 year and has sales number boosted from 2015 Christmas season.  Uncharted 4 has only been out for 6 months, and has yet to have the sales boost from Christmas.  After this Christmas season, Uncharted 4 should really pull ahead.   

Nice, will be interesting to see when it suprapsses Splatoon !