By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Uncharted 4 surpasses Halo 5 in global total sales

I really don't see that like some big achievement, despite Halo 5 was released 1.5 year earlier, PS4 has twice bigger instal base than XB1.

Around the Network
Intrinsic said:
Wright said:

Not to be "that guy", but Master Chief, while we can't ever see his face outside some really blacked out eyes in Halo 4, has always had a voice. Ever since Halo: Combat Evolved.

come on you know what i mean.... MC is designed as a silent protagonist.... meaning the Jeep what he says to a bare minimum. Its a strategy some devs use to (as they claim) increase immersion and make the player feel like the character they are playing. 

This is the problem I have with some of the extended universe Halo media out there. I get that the silent protagonist lends itself very well to games, but not so much to film/tv, but I couldn't sit through that CGI Halo movie (I think it was Fall of Reach? or something) that gave you all this backstory about John and his training to make it into the Spartan program. Took away too much of what made MC great.

I much prefer the silent guy in the suit.

Intrinsic said:
Wright said:

Not to be "that guy", but Master Chief, while we can't ever see his face outside some really blacked out eyes in Halo 4, has always had a voice. Ever since Halo: Combat Evolved.

come on you know what i mean.... MC is designed as a silent protagonist.... meaning the Jeep what he says to a bare minimum. Its a strategy some devs use to (as they claim) increase immersion and make the player feel like the character they are playing. 

But...he's quotable, to some extent. He's far from being a silent protagonist, nor designed as one, because while Bungie always had in mind leaving the image of him up to the players, they did search for specific voices from the very start (in this case they went for a Disc Jokey that had never had experience in videogames before, I don't really know why).

A silent protagonist is someone like Chrono Trigger, or Gordon Freeman. Considering MC's run so far, he's far from it, especially when even memes were made around some of his quotes, like "Finishing the fight" and so on.

coolbeans said:

Hynad said:

How many has Halo 5 sold digitally versus Uncharted 4?

I don't have that number.  Which is why responded with those points earlier.  

Normchacho said:

Wait? So...you think, that if you make a claim, it's the responsibility of others to disprove it? That's not how that works.

Hey, 75% of Uncharted 4 sales were digital. Have any evidence to suggest otherwise? No? Cool.

No I do not.  My 2nd post on this thread shows me doing the exact opposite of what you're personifying.

DonFerrari said:

That is what you don't understand. We aren't believing that 5M is sold to customers. And we already got aquamarine (who have access to numbers) that digital ratio is 25-30% not 50%.

So no, I don't think there is any data that can determine Halo 5 had more digital sales than UC4 to any significant degree (and beware that VGC count bundle sales no matter if digital or physical the same way).

Your point is totally hold on your own opinion or other people wishes... we already had doze threads on this subject close to Halo5 release when people were trying to cover for less than expected sales.

And I would appreciate if you watch your tone and keep the forum civil.

Ah, I was under the impression otherwise.  So really the only help to the argument would be time since release (with a greater number of digital code sales since then).  That makes things a lot clearer.

Sure, but let's not forget you extended the discourteous behavior first.  I'm not afraid to push back.

Well, it could or could not have sold more than UC4 digitally, we don't have any numbers to prove or disprove. We know the ratio for Halo 5 was 25-30% at that time (could be higher or lower now) and we have no info for UC4 so who knows.

I don't remember being rude or anything to you, but if I were sorry.

Intrinsic said:
alternine said:

Lol I honestly didn't expect this much downplay in this thread. Got users saying Halo 5 isnt a mainline Halo game. Smh

Wait what? you are kidding right?

No, and it was funny, and as you saw the reasoning after it get even better.

Intrinsic said:
foodfather said:

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/6e35355aecdf4fd0acdaee3cc4156fd4/topics/why-halo-5-isn-t-halo/2e549394-d341-4f88-9729-eec02b19de5c/posts

Pleanty of threads, plenty of people dismiss Halo 5 as a mainline Halo game. It doesn't even continue the story of Halo 4. Its a bit like Alien 3. Will be forgotten about / ignored in a few years. Why else was there such an uproar when Chief wasn't even playable for more than 1/4 of the game. 

Next time a Halo game is released with no subtitle and only chief on the cover, we'll compare sales...

By your reasoning i guess that means MGS2 wasn"t a mainline MGS game. But since it outsold MGS1 I guess that's why no one complained.

Also, this must also mean GoW4 isn't a mainline gears game being that the lead character has changed. Guess if it doesn't sell as well as gears 3 that's what everyone will say.

Oh, and Infamous sevond son wasn't a Mainline infamous (again the lead character changed).

Let's not forget the upcoming Mass Effect, I'm pretty sure the lead character isn't going to be Shepard. 

Because a lot of people say something, doesn't mean it's still not stupid. 

You also forgot that Final Fantasy have never had a main line game. Or all those games where you change the name of the protagonist.

Miyamotoo said:

I really don't see that like some pig achievement, despite Halo 5 was released 1.5 year earlier, PS4 has twice bigger instal base than XB1.

Just when I though we already have moved from this. If WiiU reached 100M, would Splatoon have 50M sales?

And just to finish what imagedvd was saying... yes, having a bigger userbase can lead to more potential buyers, but when looking at trends and it shows the title being unpervious to userbase (very little flunctuation between userbase size and sw sales) it mute your argument as the main reason being userbase.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:

Miyamotoo said:

I really don't see that like some big achievement, despite Halo 5 was released 1.5 year earlier, PS4 has twice bigger instal base than XB1.

Just when I though we already have moved from this. If WiiU reached 100M, would Splatoon have 50M sales?

And just to finish what imagedvd was saying... yes, having a bigger userbase can lead to more potential buyers, but when looking at trends and it shows the title being unpervious to userbase (very little flunctuation between userbase size and sw sales) it mute your argument as the main reason being userbase.

So what you are try to tell me that Halo 5 sale numbers would have same if XB1 installed base is twice of current one!? Of Course that we can assume if installed base of much bigger than Splatoon would sell also much better.

If we watch VGC numbers, Halo 5 sold 4.2m on instal base of 23m, wile Uncharted 4 sold also 4.2m on instal base of 44.7m, basically attach rate of Halo 5 is almost twice bigger than attach rate of Uncharted 4, that far more impressive despite its lees time on market.

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:
DonFerrari said:

So what you are try to tell me that Halo 5 sale numbers would have same if XB1 installed base is twice of current one!? Of Course that we can assume if installed base of much bigger than Splatoon would sell also much better.

If we watch VGC numbers, Halo 5 sold 4.2m on instal base of 23m, wile Uncharted 4 sold also 4.2m on instal base of 44.7m, basically attach rate of Halo 5 is almost twice bigger than attach rate of Uncharted 4, that far more impressive despite its lees time on market.

We already had several people showing that attach ratio doesn't accompany total HW sold. So although there is more potential buyers they don't translate to sales when userbase increase.

Halo 3 sold better than all other Halos on X360 even on a much smaller userbase than the others (also smaller than X1 and still sold 3x more). Uncharted was selling around 7M on 85M userbase of PS3 (started smaller on UC1 and closed bigger on UC3, a part could be attributed to userbase, but most would go for the franchise growing popularity) but now we have 5M on a userbase that is half of PS3, so it still shows that the franchise have grow even more.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
Miyamotoo said:

We already had several people showing that attach ratio doesn't accompany total HW sold. So although there is more potential buyers they don't translate to sales when userbase increase.

Halo 3 sold better than all other Halos on X360 even on a much smaller userbase than the others (also smaller than X1 and still sold 3x more). Uncharted was selling around 7M on 85M userbase of PS3 (started smaller on UC1 and closed bigger on UC3, a part could be attributed to userbase, but most would go for the franchise growing popularity) but now we have 5M on a userbase that is half of PS3, so it still shows that the franchise have grow even more.

Double of instal base does not mean equal exactly double of sales of some game, but sales would definitely be noticeably better with twice bigger instal base. So I really dont see point of comparing sales of some game where one has twice bigger instal base.

Miyamotoo said:

I really don't see that like some pig achievement, despite Halo 5 was released 1.5 year earlier, PS4 has twice bigger instal base than XB1.

Halo was arguably a more well known franchise and had beginnings before Uncharted. 

I didn't see too many people making your argument when PS3 games were being outsold by 360 despite the 360 having a considerable lead in sales. It was always "haha Sony lost this gen" by the so called "other side." This is why these console wars are silly and pathetic. And having a 1.5 year lead doesnt mean anything? Hm... people make their own facts I guess. 

Okie_Loki said:
Miyamotoo said:

Halo was arguably a more well known franchise and had beginnings before Uncharted. 

I didn't see too many people making your argument when PS3 games were being outsold by 360 despite the 360 having a considerable lead in sales. It was always "haha Sony lost this gen" by the so called "other side." This is why these console wars are silly and pathetic. And having a 1.5 year lead doesnt mean anything? Hm... people make their own facts I guess. 

PS3 and Xbox360 has similar instal base, PS4 has double instal base over XB1. Having double instal base definitely mean much more than having 1.5 year lead in sales for some game.

This is not taking digital sales into consideration, but that's huge! VGC isn't 100% accurate, but it's in the same ball park most of the time. Maybe the numbers differ like 10-20% on this one.

MS must be really disappointed anyways for Uncharted even being close to the numbers of their best selling 1st party IP. Great for Sony, and hopefully this will be a wake up call for 343 Industries that their take on Halo just isn't working.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.