By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Religious people understand the world less, study suggests

LivingMetal said:
Final-Fan said:

But you can use it to argue that God isn't where the smart money is. 

What does that suppose to mean?

Taking slimebeast's statement that "religious people are significantly more stupid than atheists" at face value, the corollary is that many of the smarter people move away from religion. 

If your question is more literal, saying "God isn't where the smart money is" is basically saying that in a hypothetical scenario where people were betting on whether God definitely existed or not, the majority of the betters who were considered more informed, expert, or knowledgeable would bet against God definitely existing.  That may not reflect actual demographics, but I think that, if the actual demographics show that in a predominantly religious culture the people drifting away from or rejecting religion tend to be the smarter ones, the metaphor is apt. 

In any case, however, counterarguments do exist. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Around the Network

:-/

Final-Fan said:
LivingMetal said:

What does that suppose to mean?

Taking slimebeast's statement that "religious people are significantly more stupid than atheists" at face value, the corollary is that many of the smarter people move away from religion. 

If your question is more literal, saying "God isn't where the smart money is" is basically saying that in a hypothetical scenario where people were betting on whether God definitely existed or not, the majority of the betters who were considered more informed, expert, or knowledgeable would bet against God definitely existing.  That may not reflect actual demographics, but I think that, if the actual demographics show that in a predominantly religious culture the people drifting away from or rejecting religion tend to be the smarter ones, the metaphor is apt. 

Having arguments and counterauguments suggest that you cannot prove or disprove that there is a God.  But I will say this wheter it's belived or not.  Jesus was (is) ANTI-RELIGION.  There has always been some form for religion before, during, and after His time on Earth.  But he stood against the religious leaders of His days, and that message is still the same today.

Everything in this world is ultimately a mystery, and will always be. No matter what scientists find out there, it will still be something that was not made by man, and therefore, ultimately a mystery.

The people who claim to truly understand this world are the real fools, imo.

LivingMetal said:
Final-Fan said:

Having arguments and counterauguments suggest that you cannot prove or disprove that there is a God.  But I will say this wheter it's belived or not.  Jesus was (is) ANTI-RELIGION.  There has always been some form for religion before, during, and after His time on Earth.  But he stood against the religious leaders of His days, and that message is still the same today.

And what does that have to do with what I was saying? 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Around the Network
Final-Fan said:
LivingMetal said:

And what does that have to do with what I was saying? 

"God isn't where the smart money is."

You really cannot bet for or against God since no one can truly prove or disprove his existance while misconceptions of God/Jesus throw fallicies in attempts to discredit those who believe in God/Jesus.

Paperboy_J said:
Everything in this world is ultimately a mystery, and will always be. No matter what scientists find out there, it will still be something that was not made by man, and therefore, ultimately a mystery.

The people who claim to truly understand this world are the real fools, imo.

Here's the bottom line.  Everyone puts faith in something.  Human's are religious by nature.

I wonder what religious people they studied to come up with these results

Ms Lindeman and Ms Svedholm-Häkkinen asked 258 Finnish people to report how much they agreed that “there exists an all-powerful, all-knowing, loving God” and whether they believed in paranormal phenomena such as telepathy and visions of the future. They then matched their answers with a range of other factors, including exam results, survey answers and performances on different tests.

They also found that people who believe in God and the paranormal are more likely to be women and tend to base their actions on instinct rather than analytical thinking.

Previous studies have suggested religious people tend to have a lower IQ and are more likely to believe literally in what scientists called “bullshit statements” including phrases like “Earth wants water” and “Force knows its direction”. However, they are also found to be happier and have greater life satisfaction than non-believers and are seen as more generous and trustworthy.

A question to consider would be: Correlation or causation?