By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Religious people understand the world less, study suggests

What you call misunderstanding is actually just delusion. Religious people tend to convince themselves of nonsense that is starkly refuted by reality. Same thing for the paranormal. People delude themselves into believing in nonsense on spurious and/or completely incompetent reasoning.

Formal logic need be taught to every single human being on the planet so we can eradicate naive and inept thinking.

Around the Network

I'd argue that certain religious people not only have a great understanding of the world but a much MORE profound understanding of the world than some people who aren't religious at all.

Anyone can work, eat, sleep, fuck and party their life away. But finding inner peace? Yeah, that's a bit harder to do.

pray4mojo said:

I'd argue that certain religious people not only have a great understanding of the world but a much MORE profound understanding of the world than some people who aren't religious at all. 

What's the argument for this?

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Not saying that people who believe in the supernatural are stupid. But it is eye-opening to see what people believe in with no tangible evidence, and ignore it when it can be easily refuted. This is why concepts like flat-earth theory can take off in the year 2016. You'd think in a world that is as scientifically advanced as we are, we'd ease off the old beliefs. But, no. We're more polarized than ever.

Can we stop with threads like this on vgchartz?

What good can possibly come from a thread with a title that is equivalent to "Religious people are delusional."

No idea why OP posted it.

Around the Network

As if we needed an official study to confirm this. You'd think that thousands of years of human history would be sufficient evidence for this statement.

StarOcean said:
I'm totally sure I won't be locking this in a few hours due to angry athiests and thiests fighting over "Im smrter than u cuz i dun belive in a sky wizard (they think repeating this enough will make them look clever for whatever reason) an u dooo!" and then the thiests will go "u cnt prov god aint real so ur dumb" and then the children cry and scream until we have to ban them and lock the inevitable response threads. It's all the same really. Happens every. single. time. It's depressing. It's stupid. And you could use that energy to post on a good thread that doesn't promote anal fissure anger that these threads seem to produce.

spurgeonryan said:

Religious people understand the world less, study suggests

Scientists say believers in God more likely to think flowers and rocks can think and feel, and agree with statements  like "stones sense the cold"

Religious  people are more likely to have a poorer understanding of the world and are more likely to believe objects like rocks and paper have human qualities, scientists say.

Researchers at the University of Helsinki compared believers in God or the paranormal to people with autism after finding they tend to struggle to understand the realities of the world around us.

Religious beliefs were linked with a weaker ability to understand physical and biological phenomenon such as volcanoes, flowers, rocks and wind without giving them human qualities.

Believers were more likely to think that inanimate objects such as metal, oil, clothes and paper can think and feel, and agree with statements such as "Stones sense the cold".    

Marjaana Lindeman and Annika Svedholm-Häkkinen, who completed the study, said: “The more the participants believed in religious or other paranormal phenomena, the lower their intuitive physics skills, mechanical and mental rotation abilities, school grades in mathematics and physics, and knowledge about physical and biological phenomena were… and the more they regarded inanimate targets as mental phenomena”.

The study defined "mental" as having human characteristics such as thoughts and sprit. 

Read more at the link below.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/religious-people-understand-world-less-study-shows-a7378896.html

Do you agree? Does it matter?

Soo does this encompass religiously devoted console fanboys?  Just wondering of course..I mean the word religious can have very broad applications.  If so most of us on this site are just damn stupid lol..

Xbox 360 and Xbox One

Gamertag:  GamertagOz70

RJ_Sizzle said:
Not saying that people who believe in the supernatural are stupid. But it is eye-opening to see what people believe in with no tangible evidence, and ignore it when it can be easily refuted. This is why concepts like flat-earth theory can take off in the year 2016. You'd think in a world that is as scientifically advanced as we are, we'd ease off the old beliefs. But, no. We're more polarized than ever.

there are people who still believe the earth is flat? :S

if being religious can make you a happier person, then that is enough evidence on its own, no need to convince anyone

from my point of view, knowing my science deep enough, our physical existance and behaviour is that complicated that human will never ever be able to fully explain, I can't believe that the chemical reactions resutling to us through the ages were just random, someone intelligent enough designed us this way, god

regarding actual evidence, it's a matter of time before we all find out, eventually :P

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

dark_gh0st_b0y said:

there are people who still believe the earth is flat? :S

I seriously wish I were joking. It deeply saddens me that this is a thing with people now.