By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4 Pro will probably run UHD Blu-Rays via an update in 2017

Ruler said:

comunication, updating and flashing should now be a lot easier in order to run 4K Blurays on PS4 Pro

Which part of my sentence:

"You need a DIFFERENT lens pickup system for UHD drives (higher NA)."

did you not understand?

Around the Network
Ruler said:

comunication, updating and flashing should now be a lot easier in order to run 4K Blurays on PS4 Pro

"Easier" in what way?  You don't think any flashing would be an entirely automated process with no user input if Sony does it?
Exactly why is a controller chip on motherboard any "easier" to flash than on a separate board?

But real issue is, the teardown didn't even give the drive product number or any identifying info,
much less verify that it is BDXL / BD-UHD spec compliant, which is necessary for any "updates" to enable UHD-BD.
Now that it is out in the wild, that actual verification of drive spec should be able to be done,
and in fact if it is capable, the drive should be able to be installed in a PC/housing with compatable drivers,
and used to playback UHD-BD discs, if it is indeed capable of doing that.  I'm not convinced,
although I would be happy were it true, and Sony does plan an update / Store-downloaded 4K-player program for small free.

drkohler said:
Ruler said:

did you not understand?

no you dont need a better lens many PC blu ray drives allready can be patched to play 4K blurays

Ruler said:
drkohler said:

did you not understand?

no you dont need a better lens many PC blu ray drives allready can be patched to play 4K blurays

Many PC BluRay drives? That's a lol.

Hunting Season is done...

Ruler said:

From PS4 Pro tear downs it can be seen that the Blu Ray chip is now located on the motherbaord instead of a seprate daughterboard installed on the Blu Ray Drive like it was on the original PS4s

http://www.psdevwiki.com/ps4/BDP-025

https://de.ifixit.com/Teardown/PlayStation+4+Pro+Teardown/72946

PS4 Pro motherboard having the Renesas SCEI R9J04G011FP1 processor on the motherboard (in green)

I'm not really sure about the thread going on right here regarding a software update like this since I've not done any research on the topic, however just from this teardown image it really is amazing how far along tech has come the size of the CPU/GPU combo in that PS4Pro and how it's almost the same size as the BIOS battery on the Motherboard, I mean... that is just mindblowing compared tech a decade or two back. Insane.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network

The article got it wrong. Sony will use the power of the cloud to play UHD Blurays.

Seriously though, this was a disappointing move by Sony, as it is a feature I would have liked to have. It just makes me more inclined to buy the Scorpio (assuming it will have one), as I don't intend to buy a standalone UHD player.

Conversely, if they had included it, but the console cost $50 or $100, that probably would have made more people upset.

Either way, people should stop getting their hopes up, unless they expect a PS4 Pro Slim / v2 next year.

Wow, the OP seems special indeed. Unless someone proves the drive itself has the hardware (which would cost Sony millions to implement) then this will never happen. The drive itself is estimated to be 15-25 more to utilize than a normal drive, no company would pay that and lose hundreds of millions of potential revenue only to say lol, nah we're not gonna let it be used for that.

Note: Some games in my collection are no longer owned, but have owned.

If it has UHD blu ray playback implemented I will buy one day fucken one of the update.

Ruler said:

Point being that "many" drives being patcheable is fine and dandy, but the topic is this SPECIFIC drive.
This specific drive needs to meet BDXL specs in order to meet minimum spec of UHD-BD spec.
SO does it or not?  Well, that is the question.   
This specific technical topic has already been discussed at length in earlier threads,
so I'm not sure what this thread is adding now?  Show me the spec.  
And really the same issue applies to PS4 Slim, whose components were updated...
So it's "plausible" it could also meet UHD-BD spec, but that's not guaranteed at all.

If they add this via firmware update down the line, then it will confirm they gimped this product in order to sell people another. Which is shady as fuck.

I don't buy it though. If it were that simple, the Pro would have launched out of the box with it, and the PS4 would have received it when it got the HDR update, if not sooner. They just released this machine that they marketed and revealed with a focus on 4k. They wouldn't leave this out if they could so easily implement it imho.