By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Does the Switch dock even need a gpu/cpu in the dock to boost performance?

Now that I think about it couldn't the dock just have a fan in it and overclock the system for better resolution and framerate as oppose to putting more hardware in it? Would anyone be down for this?

Around the Network

Sounds good to me. I still fear it will be a bit expensive since Nintendo keep insisting that its mainly a console. They probably want to price it as a home console and price the games as console games.

There's only so much you can overclock before melting the main system (tablet) ...

Thats not how it works... Thats not how any of it works...

Why do you think CPU/GPU coolers have direct heat-sinks and heat-pipes instead of just a fan on them? The dock I am sure will increase performance because one of the limiters to performance is power but it will not increase it to a significant degree...

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Sure, you can boost the performance a bit. The keyword here is 'a bit'.

Around the Network

It's possible but there doesn't look like there is any kind of slot on the bottom side. There is however (interestingly enough) what appears to be a USB Type C slot on the bottom. That's not bad.

The fan is probably in the unit itself.

could have a high performance mode

The dock really looks too big to just be something to charge the system and output it on the TV.

That's how the rumor goes. I hope Nintendo isn't going to finally release a console that runs their games poorly. Breath of the Wild isn't looking so good, neither was skyrim on the frames. Hopefully this isn't the case for the final product.

Captain_Yuri said:
Thats not how it works... Thats not how any of it works...

Why do you think CPU/GPU coolers have direct heat-sinks and heat-pipes instead of just a fan on them? The dock I am sure will increase performance because one of the limiters to performance is power but it will not increase it to a significant degree...

Maybe it down clocks when your on the go.

So it doesnt need the fan, when its not docked.

Then when it docks, it speeds up.

How does it handle the cooling then? well... there could be a fan in the dock, that blows air up the buttom of the device and out through the top air vents.

Also that is exactly how it works for alot of devices.

Laptops usually work like that.

Plugged in they run full speed and use fans, and when you pull out the power cord, the fans go off, and the clock rates go down.

How would games handle the shift in performance between docked and not?

Well they could have 2 differnt resolutions, one they run when not docked, and a higher one when docked.