By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Does the Switch dock even need a gpu/cpu in the dock to boost performance?

Doesn't the dock have extra power? Because the gameplay from the dock was like 30fps smooth and then when it went portable, it went to like 10 fps (For Zelda)

"There is only one race, the pathetic begging race"

Around the Network

I don't think the dock will give it extra power. It will allow it to run at full power. Similar to a laptop on battery v wall socket.

If it's just a fan/hdmi then it will be cheap enough to have one in each room so the console can be played on any TV without any/much setup.

Soundwave said:
It's possible but there doesn't look like there is any kind of slot on the bottom side. There is however (interestingly enough) what appears to be a USB Type C slot on the bottom. That's not bad.

The fan is probably in the unit itself.

2 x USB 2.0 and a USB 3.0

Could allow the possibility of an external gpu later down the line. The NS could act as CPU for another completely new console with a large portion of the cost already absorbed.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

I don't think it works like that, but I would like to see the dock give the console some extra boost :p

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

I think later on it'd make sense to release a dock that does some fancy upscaling.

Its been validated that the NS has active cooling. What is not known is when this cooling is activated. It makes sense that it may not be required/activated during portable play as that would put a drain on the battery. The vent is also at the top of the device so it won't be impeded by the dock.

Its very much possible that when docked, the NS will be overclocked to allow 1080p display to the TV and active cooling is kicked on. This would allow the dock to be a very in expensive part of the base bundle and meet the statements Nintendo has made that its primary purpose is just for power/connectors.

Around the Network

So Nintendo has come forth and stated that the dock does nothing else but Laura Dale has gone on record to say that's not completely the case and that the Switch tablet will run at full speed when docked. Which even in the preview trailer the Switch games seemed to run better on the dock than in portable mode currently.

Also Nintendo has stated that they haven't revealed everything about the system and I believe they will sell some kind of enhanced dock that uses the SCD patent down the line.

As I said in different thread...this is "just a tablet":

Pixel C, 7mm thick, with Tegra X1 inside with peak clock of 850MHz (as opposed to Shield TV box which is clocked at 1GHz)...so that's 435GFLOPS of nVidia goodness in "just a tablet". Passive coooling.

Opposed to that, NS is fat piggy, 14-15mm thick...with vents...and possible active cooling.

In theory (again, in theory) there might be X2 inside (built on 14nm) running at 850MHz while in handheld mode, for those 435GFLOPs and running at 1.5 GHz when docked (because it can), for 768GFLOPs.

In even wilder, but not so wild scenario, there is another posibillity - X2 times 2 (a la PS4 Pro):

"...we doubled the GPU size by essentially placing it next to a mirrored version of itself, sort of like the wings of a butterfly. That gives us an extremely clean way to support the existing 700 titles," Cerny explains, detailing how the Pro switches into its 'base' compatibility mode. "We just turn off half the GPU and run it at something quite close to the original GPU."

Now I highly doubt this is what Nintendo went with, given that it would cost them pretty penny, but it is a solution. Of course, this is all just having fun guesstimating.

KLXVER said:

Sounds good to me. I still fear it will be a bit expensive since Nintendo keep insisting that its mainly a console. They probably want to price it as a home console and price the games as console games.

I think only reason they said that Switch is console first because they still need to sell 3DS until Switch arrives while Wii U is already dead.

Its most like scenario that there is no more power in dock, but that Switch in Dock works at higher or full clocs while it works at lower clock outside dock.
So most likly 1080p on TV and 720p at Switch screen.

Miyamotoo said:
KLXVER said:

Sounds good to me. I still fear it will be a bit expensive since Nintendo keep insisting that its mainly a console. They probably want to price it as a home console and price the games as console games.

I think only reason they said that Switch is console first because they still need to sell 3DS until Switch arrives while Wii U is already dead.

I hope that is the case.