By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - (Update: 100 million mark reached!)Prediction:Switch will go on to sell 100+ million units

LipeJJ said:
peachbuggy said:

Almost exactly my sentiments although i will expand slightly on that. I believe Nintendo will find some way to prolong/rehash the "Wii" series and whilst not reaching Wii levels of success, i believe it will be very successful and like LABO, bring a new and diverse demographic to the system and help sales potential even further.

I thought about that too. They could bring stuff like a new and compelling Wii Fit-like game, for example.

I think they want to turn Switch into an experience. Like, you can play traditional games, you can play casual games, you can play creative stuff (like Labo), and so on...

Agreed. Wii fit or whatever it could be rebranded could do well. Not sure what they could use to replace the balance board but i'm sure Nintendo would find a way to make it viable. Personally i will hopefully be looking forward to a new Wii/Switch Sports and Wii/Switch party.

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

Around the Network

Eh.. I don't think they'll get to 100m+. I'm only saying it because of the still shoddy 3rd party support overall for Ninty. Ninty 1st party can only offer so much at a time. The times in between releases will be tough without big 3rd party hitters.
Look at MS.. they can stay afloat even without much 1st party games because of the big 3rd party games that comes to their system too. PS has a good mix of 1st and 3rd. I sense there will be dry spells in between ninty's big releases.. that could affect momentum.

They are definitely starting out strong but that was expected with releases like Zelda BOTW, Mario Odyssey, and Splatoon 2.  But it's almost like the big cards were dropped in it's first year.  What will it have to offer in the next year or 2 to keep momentum?.  

Man.. I hate it when your girl has to leave my place to come back to you..

As Nintendo are now, I don't think they'll be able to reach 100M units with the Switch once we take into account past history ...

There was only one instance where a portable Nintendo system has sold over 100M units (not counting GB and GBC combined) and that was the DS. 3DS had far more to work with in terms of bigger notable software than GBA did but it will still fail to outsell the GBA. Once we factor in pricing, demographics, lineup and sales performance the Switch is remarkably very similar to the 3DS ...

People like to overstate Nintendo's advantages with a focus unified platform (not much of an advantage if most of their biggest games for the first half of this year are just ports) and having all of the biggest franchises with it ... (the Switch barely scraped past the 3DS even after releasing half of their biggest franchises)

It's hard to see the Switch being able to sell 100M units when it doesn't have the advantage in pricing, demographics and a stable software lineup strength compared to the competition ...

BillyBong said:

Eh.. I don't think they'll get to 100m+. I'm only saying it because of the still shoddy 3rd party support overall for Ninty. Ninty 1st party can only offer so much at a time. The times in between releases will be tough without big 3rd party hitters.
Look at MS.. they can stay afloat even without much 1st party games because of the big 3rd party games that comes to their system too. PS has a good mix of 1st and 3rd. I sense there will be dry spells in between ninty's big releases.. that could affect momentum.

They are definitely starting out strong but that was expected with releases like Zelda BOTW, Mario Odyssey, and Splatoon 2.  But it's almost like the big cards were dropped in it's first year.  What will it have to offer in the next year or 2 to keep momentum?.  

Neither Wii nor DS needed heavy third party support to get to 100m, 3DS has had decent level of support and manage to hit 70m (will finish at 75-80m at the end of things) even after the early troubles.

People thinking third parties will dictate hitting that mile stone are mistaken Nintendo really only ever need enough filler titles between first party title to be fine as its their first party that sell the platform not third party. Far all big cards are used, Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing, Tomodachi, Metroid etc... You even mentioned Splatoon 2 which is a new IP only established 3 years ago what's to say more like it aren't on the way.

BillyBong said:

Just because its not the same AAA games that PS/XB get doesnt mean their 3rd party support is shoddy. Switch will have over 400 games by the time its been out for a full year.

Obviously some of those games are trash but Switch has built up a strong library of 3rd party games ranging from indie, Japanese & western titles and its only growing.

Nintendo's entire handheld line and Wii show that Nintendo does not need the big multiplats to sell well.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
fatslob-:O said:
As Nintendo are now, I don't think they'll be able to reach 100M units with the Switch once we take into account past history ...

There was only one instance where a portable Nintendo system has sold over 100M units (not counting GB and GBC combined) and that was the DS. 3DS had far more to work with in terms of bigger notable software than GBA did but it will still fail to outsell the GBA. Once we factor in pricing, demographics, lineup and sales performance the Switch is remarkably very similar to the 3DS ...

People like to overstate Nintendo's advantages with a focus unified platform (not much of an advantage if most of their biggest games for the first half of this year are just ports) and having all of the biggest franchises with it ... (the Switch barely scraped past the 3DS even after releasing half of their biggest franchises)

It's hard to see the Switch being able to sell 100M units when it doesn't have the advantage in pricing, demographics and a stable software lineup strength compared to the competition ...

So you removed one instance to try and push your point?

That would be purely your opinion. Also, why would you separate GB and GBC sales? Nintendo hasn't "used up all their biggest franchises" at all.  Not in pure selling terms, anyway. Nintendo are in the enviable position of having several 10m+ selling franchises at their disposal, along with several that either sell over 5m or that have the potential to do so. Any franchise that sells over 5m is a potential system seller, at least somewhat imo.

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

Wyrdness said:

Are you sure you really want to argue that the GB and the GBC belonged to the same platform ? 

peachbuggy said:

That would be purely your opinion. Also, why would you separate GB and GBC sales? Nintendo hasn't "used up all their biggest franchises" at all.  Not in pure selling terms, anyway. Nintendo are in the enviable position of having several 10m+ selling franchises at their disposal, along with several that either sell over 5m or that have the potential to do so. Any franchise that sells over 5m is a potential system seller, at least somewhat imo.

@Bold Because their actually different systems ? 

And I never said that Nintendo used up all of their biggest franchises so that's a strawman on your part and Nintendo only has about 5 franchises (2D/3D Mario, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, Pokemon) that can reliably reach 10M+ units ... 

Wyrdness said:

Are you sure you really want to argue that the GB and the GBC belonged to the same platform ? 

peachbuggy said:

And I never said that Nintendo used up all of their biggest franchises so that's a strawman on your part and Nintendo only has about 5 franchises (2D/3D Mario, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, Pokemon) that can reliably reach 10M+ units ... 

They are only different systems for the purpose of your argument. Name me 1 place which counts their sales separately. Nope, you mentioned Nintendo had exhausted their franchises. Unless you stealth edited it but i can check that anyway. This gen i'm willing to bet you can add Zelda and Splatoon to your 10m list, possibly LABO. Also Wii series can become a big seller again on a decent sized userbase.

How did you enjoy the Switch EU upwards adjustments btw? I said i'd be back to serve you your crow about it. You're welcome. Yes i haven't forgotten about you. Proved you wrong once and i'll do it again. 

Wyrdness said:

peachbuggy said:

"Used all their biggest franchises" was your exact quote. Strawman? I think not!