By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - (Update: 100 million mark reached!)Prediction:Switch will go on to sell 100+ million units

peachbuggy said:

They are only different systems for the purpose of your argument. Name me 1 place which counts their sales separately. Nope, you mentioned Nintendo had exhausted their franchises. Unless you stealth edited it but i can check that anyway. This gen i'm willing to bet you can add Zelda and Splatoon to your 10m list, possibly LABO. Also Wii series can become a big seller again on a decent sized userbase.

How did you enjoy the Switch EU upwards adjustments btw? I said i'd be back to serve you your crow about it. You're welcome. Yes i haven't forgotten about you. Proved you wrong once and i'll do it again. 

@Bold I don't have to just by the virtue of the system having unique games themselves and especially when it got it's own killer apps like an exclusive Pokemon, Zelda and Mario title. GBC had unique games on it own compared to GB and some GB games had exclusive GBC features too ...

You need to improve your reading comprehension if you truly think I said that. (Stealth edit ? Haha) It's also extremely funny how you're trying so hard to goad me but I'm too lazy right now to recheck Switch's EU numbers in comparison to the 3DS ... 

peachbuggy said:

"Used all their biggest franchises" was your exact quote. Strawman? I think not!

Cherry pick much ? LOL 

Thanks for conveniently leaving the rest of my sentence out ... 

Around the Network
fatslob-:O said:
Wyrdness said:

So you removed one instance to try and push your point?

Are you sure you really want to argue that the GB and the GBC belonged to the same platform ? 

peachbuggy said:

That would be purely your opinion. Also, why would you separate GB and GBC sales? Nintendo hasn't "used up all their biggest franchises" at all.  Not in pure selling terms, anyway. Nintendo are in the enviable position of having several 10m+ selling franchises at their disposal, along with several that either sell over 5m or that have the potential to do so. Any franchise that sells over 5m is a potential system seller, at least somewhat imo.

@Bold Because their actually different systems ? 

And I never said that Nintendo used up all of their biggest franchises so that's a strawman on your part and Nintendo only has about 5 franchises (2D/3D Mario, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, Pokemon) that can reliably reach 10M+ units ... 

Saying thy're different platforms is like saying PS4 and the Pro are separate, Nintendo classes the GB and GBC as differing SKUs of the same platform even how the GBC came into being highlights this, you've separated them because it fits what you want to argue as a stance.

peachbuggy said:

Are you sure you really want to argue that the GB and the GBC belonged to the same platform ? 

And I never said that Nintendo used up all of their biggest franchises so that's a strawman on your part and Nintendo only has about 5 franchises (2D/3D Mario, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, Pokemon) that can reliably reach 10M+ units ... 

They are only different systems for the purpose of your argument. Name me 1 place which counts their sales separately. Nope, you mentioned Nintendo had exhausted their franchises. Unless you stealth edited it but i can check that anyway. This gen i'm willing to bet you can add Zelda and Splatoon to your 10m list, possibly LABO. Also Wii series can become a big seller again on a decent sized userbase.

How did you enjoy the Switch EU upwards adjustments btw? I said i'd be back to serve you your crow about it. You're welcome. Yes i haven't forgotten about you. Proved you wrong once and i'll do it again. 

Kinda reminds me of when he argued that 1st party Switch games wouldnt have strong legs because the monthly NPD top 10 wasnt dominated by Switch games.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Wyrdness said:

Saying thy're different platforms is like saying PS4 and the Pro are separate, Nintendo classes the GB and GBC as differing SKUs of the same platform even how the GBC came into being highlights this, you've separated them because it fits what you want to argue as a stance.

PS4/Pro and the GB/GBC are not equivalents for comparison. The former does not have exclusive games or content on it's so called upgraded "SKU" while the latter does and significant ones at that ... 

peachbuggy said:

@Bold I don't have to just by the virtue of the system having unique games themselves and especially when it got it's own killer apps like an exclusive Pokemon, Zelda and Mario title. GBC had unique games on it own compared to GB and some GB games had exclusive GBC features too ...

You need to improve your reading comprehension if you truly think I said that. (Stealth edit ? Haha) It's also extremely funny how you're trying so hard to goad me but I'm too lazy right now to recheck Switch's EU numbers in comparison to the 3DS ... 

peachbuggy said:

"Used all their biggest franchises" was your exact quote. Strawman? I think not!

Cherry pick much ? LOL 

Thanks for conveniently leaving the rest of my sentence out ... 

What was there to read? You said it all in those few words and there's no way of you escaping it. So, by virtue of having games that can't be played on the "old" 3DS are you going to count the New 3DS as a separate sytem then? Why stop there? How about counting the XboneX and ps4pro as separate systems? Maybe you can't find anywhere that counts GB/GBC as separate systems because nobody but you does? I think the reading comprehension accusation is only useful if you're looking in a mirror as you can't even comprehend what you yourself has written! All the old cliches actually apply to you, no-one else. Why would you check Switch EU numbers in regards to the 3DS? It's common knowledge they got adjusted upwards for Switch after Nintendo France and Spains' recent press releases. You obviously take little notice to what happens around here, perhaps that explains why you are so uninformed. Just like you can't show data to back any of your claims, as it doesn't exist.

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

Around the Network
Wyrdness said:

PS4/Pro and the GB/GBC are not equivalents for comparison. The former does not have exclusive games or content on it's so called upgraded "SKU" while the latter does and significant ones at that ... 

They are comparable because they're different skus of the same platform, Pro could easily have exclusive library if need be Sony just don't want that, GBC was an sku aimed at extending the life of the GB platform because the GBA got delayed due to r&d issues and extreme costs due to the long delay that had turned up Nintendo allowed developers to create GBC focused games this extended the GB platform's life for another 4 years until the GBA r&d and costs had been sorted out and become viable.

newwil7l said:
Alkibiádēs said:

And it would have been down a lot more if it wasn't for Pokémon... We have weekly data for Japan and monthly data for US, we can tell very easily what effect Pokémon had on sales. 

To suggest it didn't boost sales is ludicrous. 

You are basing this off what? There is no evidence it would have sold much worse.

He literally just said what he bases this off of.

3DS only did 750k  this December in the US cause of Pokemon US/UM. It wouldn't stand a chance without those games.

3DS was up yoy in 2016 because of pokemon go/sun moon. Despite not having that many huge sellers that year.

3DS would be at like ~35 million without pokemon.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

Wyrdness said:

So you removed one instance to try and push your point?

peachbuggy said:

That would be purely your opinion. Also, why would you separate GB and GBC sales? Nintendo hasn't "used up all their biggest franchises" at all.  Not in pure selling terms, anyway. Nintendo are in the enviable position of having several 10m+ selling franchises at their disposal, along with several that either sell over 5m or that have the potential to do so. Any franchise that sells over 5m is a potential system seller, at least somewhat imo.

According to Nintendo, yes, the Gameboy and Gameboy Color belong to the same platform. 

As for the Gameboy Advance, it might not have sold over a 100 million units, but it was a sales beast. It was replaced after a mere 3 years on the market. This little machine outsold even the PS2 during the years where it was fully supported. 

The 3DS is imo Nintendo's worst handheld. It lacked a compelling "gimmick", which ended up being barely used and just added to the cost of the console. It was also very underpowered. It's very similar to the PSP in terms of power (a handheld from 2004!) yet it was crazy expensive for its launch (250 dollars). That means you were paying $250 in 2011 for a handheld that was about as powerful as a PSP. The first two years of the 3DS also saw very few compelling games. I took a look at Metacritic and yikes... only 18 games managed to score over 80% in its first two years. In 2017 alone the Switch has a whooping 46 games that scored over 80% on metacritic. 

Nintendo has "only" 5 franchises that can reliably sell over 10M units? Only? You do realize that's a lot, right? You also forgot about Super Smash Bros. 

And Nintendo always comes up with a new IP each gen that sells a crazy amount of software. 

N64: Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Animal Crossing (sort of)

GC: popularized Animal Crossing, Luigi's Mansion

Wii: the "Wii" brand of games

DS: Nintendogs, Brain Training

SNES: Donkey Kong Country, Yoshi's Island, Star Fox

Gameboy: Pokémon, Tetris, Kirby

3DS: Tomodachi Life

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Wyrdness said:

They are comparable because they're different skus of the same platform, Pro could easily have exclusive library if need be Sony just don't want that, GBC was an sku aimed at extending the life of the GB platform because the GBA got delayed due to r&d issues and extreme costs due to the long delay that had turned up Nintendo allowed developers to create GBC focused games this extended the GB platform's life for another 4 years until the GBA r&d and costs had been sorted out and become viable.

They choose not to and Microsoft does the same because such fragmentation will automatically differentiate the two systems into their own separate platforms ... 

I can access the same games and content from the PS4 Pro as a regular PS4 user (Even HDR is supported for the original system too!) but I can not do the same thing as a GB user who wants access to GBC games or GBC specific content ... 

Wyrdness said:

They choose not to and Microsoft does the same because such fragmentation will automatically differentiate the two systems into their own separate platforms ... 

I can access the same games and content from the PS4 Pro as a regular PS4 user (Even HDR is supported too!) but I can not do the same thing as a GB user who wants access to GBC games or GBC specific content ... 

No they don't do it because the is competition present that could try and exploit the situation, GB had no competition that could hold a candle to it so no your argument here on library is flimsy as under your stance new 3DS is a separate system as is DS Lite.