By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - (Update: 100 million mark reached!)Prediction:Switch will go on to sell 100+ million units

BillyBong said:
Wyrdness said:

Neither Wii nor DS needed heavy third party support to get to 100m, 3DS has had decent level of support and manage to hit 70m (will finish at 75-80m at the end of things) even after the early troubles.

People thinking third parties will dictate hitting that mile stone are mistaken Nintendo really only ever need enough filler titles between first party title to be fine as its their first party that sell the platform not third party. Far all big cards are used, Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing, Tomodachi, Metroid etc... You even mentioned Splatoon 2 which is a new IP only established 3 years ago what's to say more like it aren't on the way.

As good as some of those other games are, they're not exactly system sellers. 

This isn't a bash on ninty's games or game quality, but whether or not they'll hit the 100m mark when it's all said and done.  I just don't see it without 3rd  party support for the inbetween big ninty releases.  Guesss time will tell if it ends up doing Wii or WiiU numbers.  Wii had a great motion control gimmick that made it a seller for families with small kids.  That helped paved the way for a decent 3rd party support line even if there  was a lot of shovelware. . Will have to see if the portability schtick will play as important a factor for the switch.

Pokemon will be a system seller. LABO will be a system seller. Animal Crossing will be a system seller. Smash will be a system seller. There will be others, like Fire emblem that will be system sellers to a lesser extent. Brand new Mario Kart will be a system seller.

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

Around the Network
Wyrdness said:

No they don't do it because the is competition present that could try and exploit the situation, GB had no competition that could hold a candle to it so no your argument here on library is flimsy as under your stance new 3DS is a separate system as is DS Lite.

The reason behind the decision doesn't matter as that's not baked into my argument. They choose not to do it, end of story and that makes all the difference in comparison to GB/GBA ... 

And the new 3DS is a separate system along with DSi (DS Lite is just a slim version of the DS original) but nobody makes a big deal about it ... 

flashfire926 said:

3DS would be at like ~35 million without pokemon.

Thats a huge exaggeration.

3DS shipments were 34.98 million as of Sept 30, 2013. Thats 2 weeks before the first mainline Pokemon titles released on 3DS.

Also 3DS lifetime sales will be over 75 million when all is said and done, so you think ~40 million of those came directly from Pokemon despite mainline Pokemon games on 3DS being around 50 million?

Pokemon is def one of, if not the biggest system sellers for 3DS but it would have still easily cleared 50 million without it.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Wyrdness said:
BillyBong said:

As good as some of those other games are, they're not exactly system sellers. 

This isn't a bash on ninty's games or game quality, but whether or not they'll hit the 100m mark when it's all said and done.  Guess time will tell if it ends up doing Wii or WiiU numbers.  Wii had a great motion control gimmick that made it a seller for families with small kids.  Will have to see if the portability schtick will play as important a factor. 

Except those games are system sellers more so than Mario and Zelda, Fire Emblem causes hardware spikes in Japan, Pokemon and AC are 10m sellers on average and Tomodachi shifts 5-6m only Metroid remains to be seen if it can move systems, the Switch can't do Wii U numbers because going by the shipped total by analysts it's already outsold the Wii U.

Seriously?.. you think a strategic rpg will sell consoles?  Animal crossing?  Or even Pokemon?  Andtrust me, I know how big Pokemon is for kids.. I've seen myself the Pokemon craze in Japan, but yes, those games will sell.. but I don't think they'll push much for the console itself.  The Wii u had similar titles too.. Dont think it helped..But like I said, we'll just have to wait and see.

Man.. I hate it when your girl has to leave my place to come back to you..

fatslob-:O said:
Wyrdness said:

No they don't do it because the is competition present that could try and exploit the situation, GB had no competition that could hold a candle to it so no your argument here on library is flimsy as under your stance new 3DS is a separate system as is DS Lite.

The reason behind the decision doesn't matter as that's not baked into my argument. They choose not to do it, end of story and that makes all the difference in comparison to GB/GBA ... 

And the new 3DS is a separate system along with DSi (DS Lite is just a slim version of the DS original) but nobody makes a big deal about it ... 

What's baked into your argument is pretty much irrelevant because we have examples that shoot down your notion, under your own argument PS2 slim is a separate system because it lacks the ports for a HDD and network adaptor locking it out of certain games, fact is no matter what spin you try GB and GBC are the same platform end of much like the people arguing the world is flat it doesn't change the reality of how things really are.

Around the Network
BillyBong said:
Wyrdness said:

Except those games are system sellers more so than Mario and Zelda, Fire Emblem causes hardware spikes in Japan, Pokemon and AC are 10m sellers on average and Tomodachi shifts 5-6m only Metroid remains to be seen if it can move systems, the Switch can't do Wii U numbers because going by the shipped total by analysts it's already outsold the Wii U.

Seriously?.. you think a strategic rpg will sell consoles?  Animal crossing?  Or even Pokemon?  Andtrust me, I know how big Pokemon is for kids.. I've seen myself the Pokemon craze in Japan, but yes, those games will sell.. but I don't think they'll push much for the console itself.  The Wii u had similar titles too.. Dont think it helped..But like I said, we'll just have to wait and see.

If pokemon can't sell a significant amount of Switch systems, Nintendo may as well give up and go home...

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

BillyBong said:
Wyrdness said:

What similar Wii U titles are you talking about?

Wii U did not have Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem, Tomodachi or Metroid.

Literally none of the games he listed appeared on Wii U so what are you talking about?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

BillyBong said:
Wyrdness said:

Yes they are going sell systems you know how we know? They've already done it for 3DS in recent times, The Wii U didn't have Fire Emblem, it didn't have Pokemon apart from a fighting game spin off all it got was a board game spin off of AC which needed amiibos so know you're very much mistaken here.

If you want we can make an official bet right now on it.

Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Tomodachi & Fire Emblem make up 5 of the top 10, 7 of the top 20 & 9 of the top 30 best selling 3DS games.....yeah they dont sell systems.

BillyBong said:
Wyrdness said:

The WiiU didn't have a mainline fire emblem game, neither a real pokémon game or Animal Crossing game.

The WiiU had a Animal crossing amiibo abomination, a stupid Pokémon on the eshop that also used figurines and 2 fire emblem games for the GBA released as virtual console titles. So no, the WiiU never had similar titles.

also, Tokyo Mirages FE but that was more like a new ip for a niche audience.

Last edited by Malt4zar - on 21 January 2018