By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - RUMOR: Switch has Touchscreen, More Powerful When Docked, & Mediocre Battery Life

Laura Kate Dale is very sure the dockstation gives the NS more computational power, continues saying that Nintendo wants to set apart the NS from thw WiiU thats the reason to tell the system is the tablet and no the Dockstation, but that doesn't rules out what her contacts tell her, and that is that the Dockstation has some type of computational increase tech inside.

34 years playing games.

Around the Network

Didn't Nintendo themselves state that the dock was only a placeholder to connect to TV and to charge only?

V-r0cK said:
Didn't Nintendo themselves state that the dock was only a placeholder to connect to TV and to charge only?

Yes. Though technically in "dock mode" what could be happening is the NS can run at full or higher clock since battery usage is not an issue. If that's the case then no one is really wrong. 

I don't think it will be a huge difference though. 

something tells me the NS will be a hit for Ninty, takes the social factor on a new level, outside gaming is no longer limited to the one person who holds or owns the system, and this will be a selling factor on it's own

if the dock provides extra performance, then it's an even bigger hit, probably Wii level hit or more, people will pay the extra $100 dollars if they'll get access to more games, just like they buy the expensive Ps4 in masses, could still come in 2 versions anyway

wouldn't get my hopes up though, would be too god damn good to be true :P

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

Mediocre battery life is a shame if true, Nintendo told us that the main processing power is in the tablet. The docking station could provide additional power and cooling allowing greater clock speeds, which gives it a boost in power and output a higher resolution or at least locks 720p for every game and 900-1080p for most. I don't expect an extra GPU in the station. Perhaps the docking station also allows extra ram for higher resolution textures and things like 3d/7.1 audio support etc.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Around the Network
V-r0cK said:

Providing extra power to the system can mean a big difference in performance. 

https://www.videogamer.com/news/nintendo-explains-that-switch-dock-is-not-the-main-console-unit

"The dock is not the main console unit of Nintendo Switch. The main unit of Nintendo Switch is the unit that has the LCD screen, which the two Joy-Con controllers can be attached to and detached from. The main function of the Nintendo Switch Dock is to provide an output to the TV, as well as charging and providing power to the system."

sc94597 said:
V-r0cK said:

https://www.videogamer.com/news/nintendo-explains-that-switch-dock-is-not-the-main-console-unit

"The dock is not the main console unit of Nintendo Switch. The main unit of Nintendo Switch is the unit that has the LCD screen, which the two Joy-Con controllers can be attached to and detached from. The main function of the Nintendo Switch Dock is to provide an output to the TV, as well as charging and providing power to the system."

Yes. Providing power. As in, the electrical kind.

lol of course tablets have touch screens.

V-r0cK said:

They said thats it's "main function", the wording is obviously very particular and doesn't rule out additional functions 

sc94597 said:
V-r0cK said:

main function =/= not all functions.

34 years playing games.