By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Switch: Why it will be a gigantic smash hit.

Nintendo Switch?

Amazing! 96 33.57%

Very good! 51 17.83%

Nice. 60 20.98%

Terrible. 29 10.14%

It will flop. It sucks. 50 17.48%

Total:286
Ljink96 said:
I have no doubt NX will be massively successful in Japan. And yes, there are tons of tablets out there but not many of them have Smash Bros., 3D Mario, and Breath of the wild. That's the stupidest defense for any argument. Games sell hardware, not the idea of the hardware. NES wasn't more powerful than the Master System, but the games sold very well because they were good games. Word of mouth went around and NES became huge. That's not the case all the time but Nintendo has done this several times.

Same for mobile. Yes, runners have been made before, but none are official Mario or Nintendo themed runners. Nintendo has brand power and IP strength on their side. All NX needs to do is turn a profit on day 1. Which Kimishima said, NX wont' be sold at a loss. Success doesn't have to mean units sold. It first and foremost means that your product is profitable. The Gamecube was slain by PS2 and even the Xbox but you know what, Nintendo still churned out hundreds of millions of profit every quarter during that period. It's about profitability.

I wish that were true. If it was, the Wii U would have sold way better because its library is phenomenal.

I'm excited as hell for this. I'm just hoping this will sell well. I don't want to see my favourite video game company failing anymore.

1doesnotsimply

Around the Network

I voted nice. Positive but skeptical. Lots more to learn after all, and it's already lost some of the heat it had for me since the reveal this morning. No extra power in docking mode? Hmmmmm.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

It has potential. If Nintendo can keep up the marketing like they started, it could really well.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

As hyped as I am, I think it's much too soon to call this a success.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

This reminds me of how people predicted the WiiU to be a success on this very same board.

Around the Network
Lawlight said:
This reminds me of how people predicted the WiiU to be a success on this very same board.

Why are you being so completely negative about the Switch? You've staged fronts against it in multiple threads, so I guess I'm just curious as to why.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Lawlight said:

The bottom line is the dedicated handheld market is declining, especially in the US and Europe. There's no ifs, ands, or buts about that, I think a goal of say 40 million for NS would be much more reasonable at this stage. 

Azuren said:
Lawlight said:

Why are you being so completely negative about the Switch? You've staged fronts against it in multiple threads, so I guess I'm just curious as to why.

Just participating in what I see in the hot topics. Also, is there any reason to be positive about the Switch?

I think what we see is what we get. It's too big to be a good handheld, and not powerful enough to please the console crowd. It's a tablet running on a mobile processor, that plugs into a dock, and that sends the signal into the TV.

My concern is, what third party is going to support the hardware with their mega hit games? They gonna have to pair it down, and specially fine tune games for it. That spells danger to me, because I think we're looking at another WiiU here, and Nintendo is going to have to rely on first party to be competitive, or they can go the safe route and play it like a Nintendo DS successor.

This is classic Nintendo again folks. They have a track record of building their hardware with their franchise in mind only.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
Soundwave said:
Lawlight said:

The bottom line is the dedicated handheld market is declining, especially in the US and Europe. There's no ifs, ands, or buts about that, I think a goal of say 40 million for NS would be much more reasonable at this stage. 

40m is low i think. Nintendo is trying to expand into the tablet crowd to cover the losses on the dedicated market. They looks to have a good plan IMO.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.